Intermittent fasting/training

Options
Hello I've been researching intermittent fasting and was wondering what people's thoughts on it? can you work out in the morning or are you better to workout after you've had some food? Thanks

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I usually train at night, and eat most of my food around training. I sometimes train early and have no issues training fasted - sometimes I have a coffee pre workout. My husband doesn't train fasted very well... He starts to struggle with lifts pretty quickly if we train early
  • runningkel
    runningkel Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about intermittent fasting, but I do work out in the mornings. Anything under an hour I can do on an empty stomach without any problems. If I'm going to be doing something for an hour or more, I'll have a small snack before I work out. But most times I just roll out of bed, have some water, and head up to the gym (or outside to run).
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    OP there are hundreds of threads on this if you use the search function.

I will summarize though;

- Meal timing has little/no effect on fat loss.
    - Fasted workouts are down to personal preference
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    I use IF. Do have full days of eating occasionally - maybe once a month.

My current schedule has me working out 4 to 5 times a week with one of those 1st thing in the morning.

I see no difference in gym performance on those days but I am considerably hungrier after a gym session whatever time of the day it occurs.
  • andrewq6100
    andrewq6100 Posts: 415 Member
    Options

I will summarize though;

this lol

note thought I've noticed (and for obvious reasons) that when training fasted you MAY sometimes experience more muscle mass loss along with fat loss due to their not being any fat energy stores to be pulled from as you know the quickest thing that burns is muscle. Also you can never train at full capacity fasted and it is not recommended since you won't have the proper fuel or energy for heavy lifts or intense sessions. and IF is okay if you want to do it just to cut down meal times I used to do it when I worked in an office but It really has no effect as far as weight loss etc.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    RY4N87 wrote: »
    Hello I've been researching intermittent fasting and was wondering what people's thoughts on it? can you work out in the morning or are you better to workout after you've had some food? Thanks

It's all about what works for you. Some people work out better on a full stomach, others not so much.

Just remember with IF that you need to still get all your calories in. It's a way of eating and has no magic when it comes to weight loss. :)

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options

I will summarize though;

Pretty much this.

There's no secret or special benefit to IF. It's just a different approach/structure to doing things. If it lines up well with your natural tendencies/preferences, then it will probably work well for you. If it doesn't, then you'll be fighting it the whole time and will probably end up making things harder than they have to be.