Why do some people do a low carb diet?

Options
Does it actually make a difference in weight loss? Do you lose more if you eat low carbs?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Personal preference.

Also, if you are aiming to meet minimums on your protein and fat macros, carbs can be the easiest macro to cut. I've had times when my fat/protein goals have added up to 1400 calories just on their own. If I was cutting at 1800 calories, that would leave only 100 grams of carbs possible (what some consider the high point for "low carb.")
  • andrewq6100
    andrewq6100 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    people do loose weight using whats called Keto diets and putting their body in a state of ketosis, which by google states: "The main benefit of ketosis is that it increases the body's ability to utilize fats for fuel, Another small but very important benefit of the ketogenic diet is that when in the state of ketosis, ketones, along with a high protein intake, seem to suppress appetite"

so essentially it puts your body into an overdrive metabolic state surpresses appetite for high carb *kitten* foods and burns fat for food but I don't know many guys who are HUGE on keto because a lot of muscle mass burn does take place as that is inevitable when dropping a lot of weight quick.

Some people do it because its the new thing, some people do it to cut carbs for health reasons, I tried it for 5 weeks and noticed minimal difference and that I was restricting foods for no reason and found myself binge eating at the end of the trial lol.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Years ago my husband chose low(er) carb because it was easier for him. He wasn't ever going to weigh, measure and log his intake. He created a calorie deficit just by cutting out some of his carbs.

It wasn't magic though. The deficit was all that mattered. He was lucky that just cutting bagels and bread created enough of a deficit. And he was disciplined enough not to replace the carb calories with something else.

I think most people would still have to log to be sure they maintained a calorie deficit, but he never did and it worked well for him.
  • andrea4736
    andrea4736 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Years ago my husband chose low(er) carb because it was easier for him. He wasn't ever going to weigh, measure and log his intake. He created a calorie deficit just by cutting out some of his carbs.

It wasn't magic though. The deficit was all that mattered. He was lucky that just cutting bagels and bread created enough of a deficit. And he was disciplined enough not to replace the carb calories with something else.

I think most people would still have to log to be sure they maintained a calorie deficit, but he never did and it worked well for him.

I envy people like that, lol. It doesn't work like that for me at all. I have to log every morsel I eat. Luckily it really helps curb my appetite though.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    For me, my weight loss method needs to have something in common with my weight maintenance method. I've done low carb (no medical issues).....then gained the weight back. I'm not doing low carb forever, and I'm not good at starting over when I get to goal. But others have had success.
  • bienemajamfp
    bienemajamfp Posts: 32 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    High carb gives me a lot of water weight, low carb doesn't make me look puffy!
  • rjan91
    rjan91 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Diagnosis of Type 2 diabetes.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Personal preference or disease. It's kind of the low hanging fruit when it comes to diet so some find it easiest to cut out.

I'm not one of them, but that's where the personal preference comes in. ;)
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't know why people eat this way. I tried it for several months and it just made me feel sick. Instead, I prioritize protein intake but definitely still consume carbs.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    For me, it was really helpful in saiety (feeling full, longer), and reducing cravings.
  • southernoregongrape
    southernoregongrape Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I followed low carb for a long time after hubby was diagnosed with diabetes. That way, I could cook one meal instead of two and he was not being tempted by foods he could no longer eat. I am one who has scads of energy when in ketosis. But, I still missed the fresh fruit and veggies that are grown in this valley. So, I now count calories and fix our sides separately. He needs to stay 20-30 net carbs a day to avoid having to take insulin. I, on the other hand have a fasting glucose of 77 so really don't need low carb.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    PCOS, Diabetes, a YouTube video. Not sure, but I couldn't hack it for sure.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    And some people do it because they think they Have to have a "diet" to follow or they need to restrict foods in order to lose.