Movie Theatre Popcorn

Options
We all know movie theatre popcorn is yummy, but not healthy. With all of the summer movies out and coming out how can you resist having it some of the time?!?!

Our "trick" is to order it with no butter and then we bring spray butter and white cheddar seasoning with us. We got a small travel spray bottle from target so we didn't have to bring a whole container of I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray with us. We then consider our popcorn our lunch or dinner for that day.

It's a way to say calories while still having a treat since the spray butter and seasoning have no calories.

Replies

• patriciagailwilliams
    Options
    I just saw this on TV yesterday, the doctor show: a large popcorn without butter is still way, way, way too much fat because of the oil that it popped in, and too much sodium because they use salt on it. A better choice, calorie wise is a small hotdog with mustard and relish. Yes, it was hard to believe, but I had read that somewhere before. Hot dogs aren't all bad! And it's kind of a comfort food, from when we were kids in the summer time....I think.
  • babylemonade
    babylemonade Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I haven't been to the theater in a while but I always have Smartpop popcorn at home.
  • purplecait1212
    Options
    Before I went to the movies last week I did a little looking up of movie theater popcorn nutrition info... even without butter the fat is out of this world. I think the best thing is to just say no!
  • Apryl546
    Apryl546 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I never have a problem with movie theatre popcorn because I'm not a huge fan of popcorn. But the other day I saw the New Harry Potter movie and really wanted popcorn.. So instead I bought a couple low call snacks instead. A special K bar and a small packet of peanuts.
  • Apryl546
    Apryl546 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Stupid double post..
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    honestly truth: I order a small bag without butter and eat the whole thing for myself =] ! MFP says its around 500 calories, but I feel like it's more, but treats at movies are something that are really hard for me to give up, so I just allow myself to do it =], but I don't go to movies that often =] ! I think popcorn is a good snack actually!
  • EmilyAnn89
    EmilyAnn89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    i always just bring my own popcorn and snacks in a big purse, because it's way too EXPENSIVE!
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I go to the movies *maybe* twice a year (there have been several year spans when I haven't gone at all)... I get the popcorn, with the disgusting "butter" and feel no guilt.
  • MsNiss
    MsNiss Posts: 57
    Options
    I also bring my own popcorn! You can either bring a bag of microwaved low fat, or air pop your own and add some seasonings :)
  • springfan
    springfan Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I air pop my popcorn at home and bring it with me. That way I can still have popcorn without all of the calories/fat/sodium.
  • springfan
    springfan Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I air pop my popcorn at home and bring it with me. That way I can still have popcorn without all of the calories/fat/sodium.
  • FL_Nettie
    FL_Nettie Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    i always just bring my own popcorn and snacks in a big purse, because it's way too EXPENSIVE!

When I was a kid I thought my aunt was cheap because she brought her own snacks to the movies. Now I do the same thing :tongue:
  • gandydancer
    gandydancer Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Yes, movie theatre popcorn is awful for you but good...I always pop a low cal microwave and stick in my tote in a baggie as I refuse to eat that fat when I can save it for something else, never noticed the difference either...and spray butter is good along with popcorn salt, makes all the difference.
  • anamikaraks
    anamikaraks Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I just ran into this the other day. Once upon a time the theater sold air popped in a bag. Not the best, but OK. Now they don't. The options are: cheat and eat (less is better), smuggle, or forget it.

I chose not to have it, but I think next time I might talk to the manager about bringing my own.
  • marquesajen
    marquesajen Posts: 641
    Options
    I had some popcorn at HP when it came out, but I had many, many calories left over that day. I'm going today after work, but I have a half pbj with me to (hopefully) subside the need for popcorn.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    i will buy a treat at the convenience store before i go so i know how many calories it is!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options

When I was a kid I thought my aunt was cheap because she brought her own snacks to the movies. Now I do the same thing :tongue:

Yep!!! I think my purse is now bigger than my mom's. I just put a bowl of Flame Broiler chicken in my purse so that my youngest didn't have to rush to finish her lunch. She ate the rest of her food in the theatre!!!
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I just budget the calories into my day or week. I'll have a smaller meal in the day since half of a large popcorn at the movies is quite filling.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Everytime I've eaten popcorn, I end up nearly choking. Hence, I save my calories and don't buy any. Also, on the positive side is I am still alive after the movie.
  • sykin
    sykin Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    I have some popcorn, but I rarely eat even a quarter of a small bag, so I'm never worried about it. It drives my husband crazy! I've started to buy the kids boxes (popcorn, candy, and small drink) for myself because it seems to be the perfect amount of popcorn and a candy, too! Plus, it's way cheaper. I just count it in to my calorie count for the day - at least I did when I saw Harry Potter last week :) I'll do that when I see it again (and again and again - hahaha). But honestly - one indulgence every once in a while won't kill you.