Runners who lift/lifters who run?

Replies

• cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited March 2017
    You only have so much glycogen/ATP for your muscles and a finite recovery capability so you cannot go "100%" with running and lifting.
    I am an advocate of lifting heavy (~ 4RM to 6RM) with HIIT for "running" - sprint there & walk back, pushing a sled, that sort of stuff.

Works for me and the fighters I coach.
    It also seems to be a good balance of strength and "cardio" but that level of effort is not for everyone.

If I had to do only one, I would lift. If I can do both then I prioritize lifting over running.
    You will rarely need to outrun something - unless you and your friends are on an episode of COPS on either side of the law...
    The need need to move a couch or something is much more common.
    The extra muscle keeps fat gains in check while lifting helps prevent osteoporosis, raises your Basal Metabolic Rate, triggers Excess Post-Exercise Oxygen Consumption ("EPOC" / the Afterburn Effect) and offsets sarcopenia among other things.

Steady-State cardio (like running) does not do the things lifting does.
    People who only run often lose a lot of muscle in the process which lowers their BMR.

You should do both as best you can but balance your exercise to meet your goals.
    If you want to do marathons then obviously you need to "run" more.

Either way, endurance is exercise-specific so running, lifting, sprints, jumping rope, swimming, etc. only helps a little with your endurance while grappling or boxing.
    You may be able to run for 5 miles but you will still be gassed after boxing or rolling for less than a minute, probably less than 30 seconds.
  • Kimblesnbits13
    Kimblesnbits13 Posts: 369 Member
    I run 2 to 3 times a week (only 3-4 miles max) and lift 3-4 times a week. I have a treadmill at home so when I'm too lazy to lift, I'll run and catch up on tv shows.
  • longshot421
    longshot421 Posts: 6 Member
    Run, bike, swim, and train jiu jitsu. I weight train 2-3 times a week as part of strength and conditioning, as well as maintain flexibility and joint health. I think weight training AT LEAST once a week is essential to improving running (or anything else!), maintaining bone density etc. As long as you lift with good form and know your limits, it can only help!
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    I'm one...(though I am out of running for now due to a recovering knee!) and I know lots of folks at my gym that do both.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    I run, lift, and do a little zumba on the side, lol. My goals right now are running-based, half marathons and my first full marathon, so currently I'm using the lifting to help maintain my lean body mass and prevent injury from running. Also, my body just looks better when I keep up with the lifting.
  • chichidachimp
    chichidachimp Posts: 109 Member
    I do both! Lifting every other day keeps the runner's knee at bay :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I'm a runner... I need to become one who lifts....
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    @lporter229 Well said. I have been trying to get this through to people for almost 30 years now.
    It is sad that people will come up with every excuse under the sun not to lift.
    Some get injured and still make excuses not to lift.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    @lporter229 Well said. I have been trying to get this through to people for almost 30 years now.
    It is sad that people will come up with every excuse under the sun not to lift.
    Some get injured and still make excuses not to lift.

I like to think lifting helps me get up the hills around here by bike or on foot. It's good to know it can prevent injury too, because I don't actually enjoy lifting all that much. I just love what it does for me in real life. Lifting heavy things into my truck and opening pickle jars with my bare hands are useful everyday skills.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,782 Member
    edited March 2017
    I do both, I prefer to lift, but i would run for the calorie burn, then i was training to do the spartan race whick combines the 2, but that race ended up not happening, but i just had a co worker ask if i was interested in doing a marathon with her in 6 months, so now I am training for that, but still throwing in lifting 1-2 days a week

Im also not a fan of running, but its not so bad now that we have a group of 3 of us training for the marathon.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Triathlete/obstacle course racer who lifts.
  • srk369
    srk369 Posts: 256 Member
    I love running trails and I am finding that lifting is really helping me do that better!!
  • Kimblesnbits13
    Kimblesnbits13 Posts: 369 Member
    Weird thing is lifting can help running but I don't think running helps lifting at all. Still love both though.
  • fit_chickx
    fit_chickx Posts: 571 Member
    Lifting compliments my running. I have more muscle on my body. I do four races each year. My first race was last weekend. My time has greatly improved.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Triathlete who lifts, though lifting/physique goals are my more important focus for 2017. I have noticed that my squats and deadlifts have helped my running because of the focus on more complete muscle activation, especially the glutes. In running, that means the load is focused all on the quads, making for better endurance.
  • JstTheWayIam
    JstTheWayIam Posts: 6,357 Member
    I lift five days a week
    Would run 7 days a week if my ankles didn't need a break every few weeks.. So I run 5 to 6 per week...

Nothing beats running outside in the earlier morning air... And here I go right now...