Any Post Menopausal Ladies Out There?

Options
stit60
stit60 Posts: 27 Member
Hi. I have returned to fitness pal after a 4 year sabbatical. During that time, I've managed to gain 7 extra pounds. During my recent physical, I was found to have the beginning of osteoporosis and a vitamin D level of 24 (low...it should be 40-50.) I'm also hypothyroid and have parathyroid adenomas I will soon be having removed surgically. My weight gain, although modest, has come from what I think are several factors including vit D deficiency, the thyroid and just getting older. When I tried in the past to reduce, none of the fat would come off because my body was in a poor metabolic state where it couldn't let go of it. My doctor now has me on 4000 iu of vitamin D. (had been taking 1000 but it wasn't helping) I am also taking berberine to help with some slight insulin resistance I'm dealing with. I like coming on here and logging my calories. It keeps me nutritionally responsible. I also think I was sneaking in calories and didn't realize how much I was consuming. I'm feeling more energy since I upped my vit D so my work outs are getting better. I'm managing to do 2-3 strength trainings a week and 5 days of dance exercise work outs. Still not quite feeling up to par but getting better. It's a struggle. It's too early to tell, but I think I am going to be successful taking off these 6-7 lbs. I hope to hear from other ladies who are past their reproductive years and what you're doing to keep fit.

Replies

• harveyliz22
    harveyliz22 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello. I am 56 years. Just started logging food again as I was overeating and like you have those 7lbs to lose. I take vitamin D 1000 iu, omega 3 and vitamin b12 100 ug. B12 seems to strengthen nails. Well done on your exercise routine!
  • stit60
    Options
    Hi. Thanks for writing back! I thought for a moment I was the only 50-something here. I've heard about B12 and need to take some too. You and I are in an exclusive club I bet. Just a few pounds to lose as opposed to 20 30 or 40. What types of exercise do you? I remember last year (before I knew I was vit D deficitent) trying to lose and doing a nutrisystem like plan. Didn't lose an ounce or an inch. I'm a believer now that vitamin and hormone deficiencies can wrack a metabolism. They are common once menopause hits. I haven't weighed yet but I can tell this morning, I have already lost some. The tape measure around the waist shows a 1/4" loss! I'm hopeful now that the weight can finally come off now that I'm getting balanced. Following a 1000 cal diet which is fine for me at my age and the ONLY way to lose weight since I am older and small-boned. I'm gunna stay on it for a week and then go to 1200 and alternate until I reach my goals. Even though my appetite isn't as big as it used to be, I was still sneaking calories that added up. After ju jitzu class for instance, I was stopping by Sees Candy and ruining it all with a little bag of dark chocolate chews. That little bag had 300 calories in it! Anyway, sorry to ramble. Looking forward to hearing from you and how you're doing as well.
  • schughes48
    schughes48 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Nope, you are not the only one who is in their 50's. I have been logging my food for about 80 days now, and have lost about 7-8 lbs. I do also currently take vitamins, including extra vitamin D, and C, Biotin, Super vitamin B, and a Multi. It's a bit harder as we get older to lose weight, however get a plan and stick to it.
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Oh goodness you must be tired with that vitamin D level!
    I've been hanging out here for years. The last two I've Added 10 pounds vs losing. peri-menopause and recent Celiac diagnosis and I'm suspecting some thyroid issues, but doc hasn't run the deeper numbers because the 'basic' looks ok.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Lots of us here. There's even a group!
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/506-near-or-post-menopausal-group
    I'm 51. Post menopausal, or menopausal I suppose is the accurate term.

Welcome!
  • stit60
    Options
    Terrific! Thank you!
  • jlindseen
    jlindseen Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am here. I want my normal size back and will work hard to get it
  • harveyliz22
    harveyliz22 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi there. That link provided by Sabine is helpful! My exercise routine: walking dog 50 mins/day, one gym session per week with some assisted weights, one swim session per week. Also guilty of treating myself after workout (crisps and milky coffee). My daily calorie intake was way too high so I seem to be losing on 1,450 calories a day. I have committed to donating £5 to charity for every 1lb I lose! £10 donated so far. This week I have had a protein shake for lunch.
  • bingram39
    bingram39 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm one of them as well and just turned 65 last month. :)
  • stit60
    Options
    jlindseen wrote: »
    Yes, I am here. I want my normal size back and will work hard to get it
    Me too!
  • shaunaburkhard
    shaunaburkhard Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm post menopausal also. I'm 38, but I had a hysterectomy with my ovaries removed which threw me into menopause several years ago. Would you ladies care for a thirty something in your group?
  • KellyRedmond1
    KellyRedmond1 Posts: 6 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Hi everyone! My name is Kelly, & this is my 1st time using MFP, even though I created my profile over a year ago. When I realized that I had gained 25 lbs since then, I decided that it was time to get VERY serious about shedding pounds ONCE & for ALL!!! I will turn the big "5-0" this August, & I am post menopausal, having had a complete hysterectomy on 2010. I've also got the "hypothyroid" thing going on, & am looking for the ideas & support of others. I also don't know how the "add a friend" thing works, so please feel free to add ME. I hope anyone reading this will have a blessed day! :)