Feel like I may be on a plateau..

Options
kenzienal
kenzienal Posts: 205 Member
edited March 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
In January I was 158lbs, and not active whatsoever. Desk job during the day, home on the couch at night.

So at 5'6 and 158lbs, I needed to do something before I had to buy another size up... again. My overall goal is to be at 135lbs.

So i began a little 30 day workout challenge of pushups, situps, squats, etc. The very basics.
Boyfriend and I also clean up our diet a lot. Lots of chicken and fresh veggies, meal prepped lunches, eggs for breakfast.
I lost 5lbs instantly like it was nothing.

February, I started the Jillian Michaels Body Revolution. Its now Mid-March, and I am still 153lbs. I took measurements at the beginning, but have yet to see a loss. Maybe half an inch at my hips, but (of course), I didnt measure correctly the first time. I still eat pretty good. Weekends are a little slack but I still count calories and dont go over my limit.

I am currently working out 6 days a week. 30 mins a night. Two nights of cardio, four nights of HIIT. I am running on a calorie limit of 1500cal/day. Rarely ever go over that, and sometimes dont even get above 1400cal.

Everyone keeps saying the old "muscle is heavier than fat, you're just building!" but could that be true when I havent seen a reduction in inches? My boyfriend says that usually in the first month you don't see results, it takes time. I agree, but technically this is almost the third month.

Probably just being impatient, but I just dont want to feel like I am doing all this for nothing. Letting my evenings revolve around these workouts, just to miss out on reaping the benefits..

Summer bod, where ya at?!

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    You barely mention calories which are the key to weight loss. How's your logging? Are you using a food scale for ALL solids? Measuring cups/spoons for all liquids? Using accurate entries? Using the recipe builder? Accurately tracking the exercise calories you eat back?

If you're in a calorie deficit you shouldn't be gaining much muscle - maybe water retention. And a pound is pound whether it is muscle or fat. Space it takes up is the difference.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Agree with @Ready2Rock206 .. Calories are what counts. I see nothing wrong with your calorie goal, and certainly nothing wrong with your exercise routine. Keep it up! However, if you're not losing weight, then you're eating at your TDEE. If you don't have a scale, get one. Start scrutinizing everything down to the gram if possible. Make sure you are logging everything, condiments, sugar you add to coffee/drinks, oils you cook with (this is a big one), salad dressings (even bigger ones). All of those things can easily add up to 200-600 extra calories a day you didn't realize.
  • kenzienal
    Options
    Its a bit of loose logging. I don't measure unless cooking dinner, but by the eye. I do use the recipe builder, but otherwise guilty. I just ordered a HRM also, will be using that now to accurately track my exercise.
  • kenzienal
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Agree with @Ready2Rock206 .. Calories are what counts. I see nothing wrong with your calorie goal, and certainly nothing wrong with your exercise routine. Keep it up! However, if you're not losing weight, then you're eating at your TDEE. If you don't have a scale, get one. Start scrutinizing everything down to the gram if possible. Make sure you are logging everything, condiments, sugar you add to coffee/drinks, oils you cook with (this is a big one), salad dressings (even bigger ones). All of those things can easily add up to 200-600 extra calories a day you didn't realize.

My TDEE was higher than my calorie limit of 1500cal. My TDEE is 1759 cal. I definitely do track absolutely everything I put into my body, but don't always have the ability or time to measure each item.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Your post is a bit unclear. When did you last see weight loss on the scale?
  • kenzienal
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Your post is a bit unclear. When did you last see weight loss on the scale?

Last stable weight loss was beginning of Feb. Of course it has fluctuated here and there, but i stay pretty regularly around 151lbs-153lbs now.
  • RosieS_1980
    RosieS_1980 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I do the body revolution work outs and even though I feel like I'm dying and sweating after, I burn between 160-190 cals a session so you don't burn as much as she makes out you will :) it's a good work out though and I tend to see it changing the shape of my body rather than dramatic weight loss, when she claims you'll drop 5lbs a week, I think that's for very overweight people with a lot to lose.

Keep at it! You'll get there :)
  • Spliner1969
    Options
    kenzienal wrote: »

My TDEE was higher than my calorie limit of 1500cal. My TDEE is 1759 cal. I definitely do track absolutely everything I put into my body, but don't always have the ability or time to measure each item.

Actually at your height/weight/age, your TDEE is likely closer to 2000 calories a day to maintain 158lbs. So 1500ish calories a day should net you, over time, about 1lb per week loss and that doesn't include exercise. If you do 250 calories a day of exercise and didn't eat back those calories, you'd be at a loss rate of around 1.5lbs per week.

Granted, I used a quick calculator I have on my phone for that TDEE calculation, and it likely overestimates a bit. What site/sites are you using to calculate your TDEE? I guess my point is regardless whether your TDEE is actually around the 1759 you calculated, or the almost 2000 calories my calc gave me, you should be losing weight if all things are equal. If you're not, there's something wrong, either the TDEE is off, or something you're logging is off, or, it's possible there may be other factors like muscle mass, etc. It takes a really long time to build muscle, so gaining more than a pound or two of muscle since January would be unrealistic if you were actually at a deficit. I'd go back and re-double the logging/weighing efforts. Also make sure you don't go by bar codes alone, weights in a package may say 1 serving at 150g but the package might contain 200+g of product. Something is throwing you off obviously, it's just going to be a matter of finding it.

I do know some people, some of my friends here on MFP in fact, that have problems with CICO not working. Nothing seems to work for them (they've tried it all, LCHF, Low Carb, etc.. They can't seem lose weight beyond a point even if they drop to 1200 calories a day which is a severe deficit for them. So it does happen to some people but I wouldn't assume you're one of those people automatically. How are your macros set?

• richamor
    richamor Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I don't generally reply on here but this caught my attention. In January 1 weighed 182.5 lbs. This morning I weigh 165.2 lbs. Which is within a pound of where I've been for the past week or so. I run or cycle every day so burning calories isn't the issue.

But I was looking at my reports and food log over the past 10 days and there was my answer. My calorie intake has gradually been creeping up for the past week. My daily goal is 1500 and 4 of the past 7 have been over that. Although I'm well under on net calories I'm still over the 1500 limit. That's why I'm not losing any weight or the weight lose is soooo slow.

Barring a medical issue I would say you could keep a better track of calories consumed and calories burned. Cardio burns a lot of calories but you have to work for it.

fwiw-- my wife is about your height and started out close to your weight in january. She weighed in this morning at 134.1 using this app and at least 1 hour of daily intense cardio.

Good luck!!! Don't quit and don't get discouraged. Reward yourself for little accomplishments but not with food. Like my hero Red Green says "I'm pullin' for ya....we're all in this together."
  • jemhh
    Options
    You are not overweight, which often means that your methods to lose weight have to be a bit more "on point" than somebody who has the good fortune to be overweight/obese. Tightening up your methods (better weighing/measuring/logging) is my only suggestion if you want a chance at hastening weight loss. Your progress so far is pretty much on track but you *might* see more reliable losses if you get more exact.
  • Spliner1969
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    You are not overweight, which often means that your methods to lose weight have to be a bit more "on point" than somebody who has the good fortune to be overweight/obese. Tightening up your methods (better weighing/measuring/logging) is my only suggestion if you want a chance at hastening weight loss. Your progress so far is pretty much on track but you *might* see more reliable losses if you get more exact.

@jemhh makes a valid point. You're at the upper limit for BMI for normal weight, maybe .5 BMI points into overweight if even that. It's going to be much harder for you to lose weight. Your best bet may not be restricting calories further but rather increasing your exercise a bit more with some added cardio of some sort. Not a terrible amount, maybe just an extra 30 minutes several times a week. Go for a walk/run or something similar, or hit an elliptical for an extra burn and see what happens. Once you get down another BMI point or so, I'd shift back up to whatever you figure your TDEE is and keep up the exercise for recomp. Try to build some muscle.
  • kenzienal
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Thank you for all of the informational posts!

I can admit, my logging and measuring is more than likely where the issue is. But I am going to be honest. It isnt because I dont care enough to log/measure better, its because I just dont know how. Right now, I am entering every ingredient and food item I enter in my body. Liquids go as such. I use 16oz cups, and only drink half a cup. So 8oz. Boom, Soy Milk entered.

But food? Today I went out for lunch (which is rare, mostly meal prep). I ordered a grilled chicken caesar wrap. How would I 100% accurately measure/log that? I entered in a Chicken Caesar Wrap from Wawa thinking they were about the same size, but obviously they are different. this is where my accuracy issue comes into play.

Also, i will admit I probably need to kick cheese totally out of my diet. I am mildly lactose intolerant, dont drink any milk/eat ice cream, but have a weakness for shredded cheese on my veggies, or the little cheese bar snacks.

Other than little chocolates, I don't have a sweet tooth. So cakes/brownies aren't in my diet whatsoever. Cookies are a weakness, but only eat one maybe once a month. So its not like my food is terrible. Lots of homemade meals, lots of chicken, steak, venison, and plenty of fresh veggies.

Spliner1969, I admit, I probably need to add more cardio in. I wont lie though. After my 30 min Jillian Michaels work outs I am DEAD. I havent worked out before this year, for about 3 years. So I had absolutely no core muscles, and very limited arm muscles. I ran here and there, plus horseback rode so my legs are where 95% of my muscles are at. But after an intense workout, I am just so exhausted. Macros keep changing for some reason on MFP, but I like to have them set at 40% P, 30% Fat, 30% Carbs

Once this 90 Day program is over in May, I do plan on doing cardio 4 times a week instead of the 2 I am doing now.

So basically the verdict is, keep pushing on and stop expecting results so soon?
  • jen_092
    jen_092 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Yes, keep pushing on, but it's true that you need to be very precise to lose weight since you're not really overweight. I'm in the same boat. You just need to be very accurate with your logging. Since you don't eat out very often, don't worry too much about stuff like the wrap you ate not being accurate. If you're really unsure, just find one in the database that might be a slight overestimation. When you're making your own food, weigh everything to the gram on a food scale. Liquids can be weighed, too.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    When eating out, the best you can do is estimate. If the scale is not moving and you're eating out/estimating a lot, then that might be an area you need to take control over by eating out less.

For food you do have control over, using a food scale is going to be the key to accuracy. Most nutrition labels show calories per serving and give a serving size in grams. I just ate a pint of Halo Top ice cream. I weighed the carton: 276 grams including the container. I ate the ice cream. The empty carton was 22 grams, meaning the content that I ate was 254 grams. Per the label, 64 grams = 60 calories. In the food log, I found an entry for Halo Top vanilla that gave nutritional info in gram. I changed the 64 gram 'serving size' to 1 gram, and logged 254 servings.

Now the label actually says 1 serving = 64 grams / .5 cup. Sometimes you can only find entries that list the 'cup' amount. If so I could have created my own entry. I'm usually not going to bother to do that. The other option is to do the math to figure out how many servings I had. Since I had 254 and the usual is 64, I'd take 254/64 which = 3.96. And log 3.96 'servings' using the entry that showed 1/2 cup = 60 calories.

The other important detail when logging food is to make sure your entry matches your food status. What I mean: there are entries in the database for chicken raw, baked, etc. I tend to weigh my chicken breast raw, so I use a raw entry. This is important because when you cook something, its weight changes. Moisture cooks out. So what starts as 115 grams of raw chicken breast may yield only 90 grams of baked chicken. If I log 90 grams baked using a raw entry, I've logged less than I ate.

This sort of thing gets easier the more you do it. If you have any particular issues/questions, feel free to ask. If doing the math is more of a hassle than you want to deal with, then try to have your weight match what is on the serving.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Now the label actually says 1 serving = 64 grams / .5 cup. Sometimes you can only find entries that list the 'cup' amount. If so I could have created my own entry.
    It's only really necessary if the entry is "verified" so that we can't edit it. Otherwise, you'd be doing the community a favor by editing the existing entry to change units from cups to grams.
  • Spliner1969
    edited March 2017
    Options

I can admit, my logging and measuring is more than likely where the issue is. But I am going to be honest. It isnt because I dont care enough to log/measure better, its because I just dont know how. Right now, I am entering every ingredient and food item I enter in my body. Liquids go as such. I use 16oz cups, and only drink half a cup. So 8oz. Boom, Soy Milk entered.

But food? Today I went out for lunch (which is rare, mostly meal prep). I ordered a grilled chicken caesar wrap. How would I 100% accurately measure/log that? I entered in a Chicken Caesar Wrap from Wawa thinking they were about the same size, but obviously they are different. this is where my accuracy issue comes into play.

Also, i will admit I probably need to kick cheese totally out of my diet. I am mildly lactose intolerant, dont drink any milk/eat ice cream, but have a weakness for shredded cheese on my veggies, or the little cheese bar snacks.

Other than little chocolates, I don't have a sweet tooth. So cakes/brownies aren't in my diet whatsoever. Cookies are a weakness, but only eat one maybe once a month. So its not like my food is terrible. Lots of homemade meals, lots of chicken, steak, venison, and plenty of fresh veggies.

Spliner1969, I admit, I probably need to add more cardio in. I wont lie though. After my 30 min Jillian Michaels work outs I am DEAD. I havent worked out before this year, for about 3 years. So I had absolutely no core muscles, and very limited arm muscles. I ran here and there, plus horseback rode so my legs are where 95% of my muscles are at. But after an intense workout, I am just so exhausted. Macros keep changing for some reason on MFP, but I like to have them set at 40% P, 30% Fat, 30% Carbs

Once this 90 Day program is over in May, I do plan on doing cardio 4 times a week instead of the 2 I am doing now.

So basically the verdict is, keep pushing on and stop expecting results so soon?

Eating out is difficult. I went to subway for lunch, and although I went to their website, double checked everything I put on the sub, and entered it, I know that it's not 100% accurate. I had a steak and cheese 12" sub on wheat. Subway used to pre-weigh out their meat in little paper containers, now they are using a scoop, so it's now even less accurate than before. I'm not trying to lose weight at the moment, just maintain, so it's not as big of a deal as it is to someone trying to shave off the last 10-20lbs. Loosing the first 50 of 80 pounds is much easier than losing that last 30.

As far as the wrap, one thing you have to watch out for is the dressing. Some full fat ranch dressings can hit as high as 140 calories per 2 tbsp. Homemade or restaurant made versions even higher. I dunno about you but when I have a wrap there's probably around 3-4 tbsp of dressing on it. Also the chicken in them is likely grilled in olive oil or canola along with seasonings (the oil helps the cooking process, adds flavor, and helps seasonings stick). So any type of cooking oil is about 120 cals per 1 tbsp. So restaurant or non-light or full fat versions of any dressing that has oil in it is high calorie, and even boneless skinless chicken breast (lowest calorie chicken you can get) coated in EVOO probably has 120-240 calories more calories because of the stinking oil lol. It's maddening.

If the place you are buying the wrap has a website, check out the calories there, then add dressing on as extra to those calories. I will usually order wraps without dressing to go, and put my own fat free or light versions of dressing on them to cut back the calories. Tastes just as good to me. Also, if you do take the wrap home, and there are calories listed on the website, I'll bet there's a weight listed too. Weigh that wrap some day and see if it's anywhere near what the website says. I'll bet it isn't. If website says 350 gram serving (whole wrap) and you weigh yours at 400g, then input it as 1.15 servings (divide 400 by 350 and round up).

I don't think you are out of line for expecting some results in the last three months. You should have seen some weight drop unless of course your logging has been off. That's where I'd look for the issue. I think you're doing fine, just scrutinize the logging and you'll figure it out. Extra cardio will help, but it's not required. If you find it too hard to be accurate with the logging (because of eating out/time/etc. not because you're not trying) then added exercise will help.

There are other things you can do to help the process besides add in an extra 30 minute session. Some of the things I do:

-I park at the farthest spot in the parking lot when I go to the store. My wife hates it when I do this, but the extra walking burns calories.
    -When I get to my car with my cart, not only have we walked a long way but I'll walk that cart all the way back inside and go back to my car again.
    -Any time it's nice enough outside on the weekend or in the evenings I will go for a walk.
    -When doing weight training or any sort, I'll walk or jog in place between sets to keep my heart rate constant.
    -When I shop for food I purposely shop for stuff out of order so I find myself going back and forth across the store many times. Again, drives my wife crazy but it helps.

The little stuff doesn't seem like much but over the course of a week it ads up.

Try as I may, I stay at the upper end of the normal weight BMI scales for my height. I have a large frame, and a fair amount of muscle (hoping to continue down that path) these days so getting lower on the BMI scale may never happen for me. I'd love to see myself half way in the middle somewhere of 'normal' on the scale but doubt it'll happen. My body seems to like the weight I'm at, and it fights me to go any lower. I've done it, but it's not easy and required a much larger calorie restriction than I'm comfortable with.
  • srk369
    srk369 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    ccsernica wrote: »
    Now the label actually says 1 serving = 64 grams / .5 cup. Sometimes you can only find entries that list the 'cup' amount. If so I could have created my own entry.
    It's only really necessary if the entry is "verified" so that we can't edit it. Otherwise, you'd be doing the community a favor by editing the existing entry to change units from cups to grams.

Yep, I just edited an entry today and added the grams (64g) in the example above. The only problem I ever have is that I have to do that from the website. Is there a way to do that from the app that I have missed seeing??
  • crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    Options

When I lost weight 6 years ago I started at your same weight and had the same goal weight (I'm also 5'6"). I'll be frank, it's your measuring that's the problem, not the exercise. When I lost the weight I did it on WW, and it took me 16 weeks to get to goal. I had to commit to measuring my food. When I lost that weight I was only measuring with cups and spoons, I didn't own a scale so I relied on the butchers measurements for my meat and fish. You have to take the time to measure your food because if you don't you can easily miss couple hundred calories a day. All the little bites, licks, and tastes also add up quickly so you have to track those as well. I didn't work out much during that time, like 3 lazy 30 min elliptical sessions per week. I did live in NYC so I did a ton of walking, but I really lost it all through calorie deficit.

This time I needed to lose 7 lbs and took 7 weeks. I had to buy a food scale to get more accurate with my measurements because trying to lose at a lower weight means every calorie counts. If you tighten up your food measuring you will most likely see the losses you are looking for without killing yourself with extra workouts. Pick up a set of measuring cups, spoons, and a $20 scale from Target and your good to go.

• kenzienal
    Options
    Also havent been logging workouts correctly, so could have been overshooting exercise cal like MFP likes to do. I have been putting my HIIT training in as Calisthenics and letting it auto populate. Tonight I will try out my new HRM chest strap and see what kind of actual calories I am burning.

I think if I cant accomplish the measuring task, i need to get much better with portion control. I love food. I love to eat. I am ALWAYS hungry, (especially with this workout). So I need to eat less of each portion, then maybe it would be closer to accurate to what i log.
  • jemhh
    Options
    Also havent been logging workouts correctly, so could have been overshooting exercise cal like MFP likes to do. I have been putting my HIIT training in as Calisthenics and letting it auto populate. Tonight I will try out my new HRM chest strap and see what kind of actual calories I am burning.

I think if I cant accomplish the measuring task, i need to get much better with portion control. I love food. I love to eat. I am ALWAYS hungry, (especially with this workout). So I need to eat less of each portion, then maybe it would be closer to accurate to what i log.

I started out by just writing down everything I ate. I didn't measure, weigh, or calculate calories. I did log the number of servings or spoonfuls, etc. I tend to eat a lot of the same things and I could use the same spoons to serve the food. If you are honest about writing it all down, you can lose weight with futzing about with the other stuff.