Keto diet and hunger...

Options
Hi

I've been eating low carb for around a fortnight - no grains or starchy vegetables, just protein, fats and veg (I know it's not strict keto, but I couldn't live without veg!) but I seem to be really hungry ALL the time.

I read that when you eat a ketogenic diet your body runs at around 70% efficiency, so it has to work harder to burn fat as opposed to carbs when it's running at 100%. I do train a lot at the gym - I've mixed things up with my diet to shift the last 10lbs or so and trying to build muscle and reduce body fat %

Anyone on here doing a keto diet and got any ideas how I can stay fuller for longer? I eat a good breakfast, generally scrambled eggs with mushrooms, ham/bacon and cheese and a salad for lunch which is generally tuna, feta cheese, avocado etc and then either meat or fish (stir fry etc) for dinner. I've also had a go at making keto friendly desserts but I still seem to be not quite satisfied.

Thanks!
H :)

Replies

• toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm doing a keto diet. For the most part, I don't struggle with hunger too much. It's definitely not the same hunger as that gnawing, grumbly painful hunger I get with a high-carb diet. It's much more mellow.

I'm doing 1400 cals a day and I'm 5'7" and 155lbs. I skip breakfast so my lunch is usually 600 calories and my dinner is 800.

What are your stats like and your calorie limit?
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Hi :)
    I'm 130lb 5'4'' and MFP puts me at 1260. My diary is open if you want to take a peek - I do eat back some exercise calories. I guess I'm fairly new to it so it's about learning what works for me. I know what you mean about the type of hunger - I drink a lot more water on this diet, I find I need to. Other than that I'm enjoying it and finding it easy. I'm just used to having some grains in my diet that's all!

H :)
  • Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I don't do keto, but reading lots of posts, there are some people that satiated best on carbs. Others it's proteins and fats (like me!) Maybe with time it'll even out for you or you might just be a carb person! Best of luck!
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Everything looks good to me! And it seems like your calorie goal is appropriate for your weight/height.

You could try skipping breakfast to see how you feel. I used to be a breakfast person but now I prefer skipping it so I can eat larger meals at lunch and dinner and feel fuller. Same goes with snacking - I rarely snack. They just don't do much for my hunger.

But all in all, it looks like you're doing great with your food choices and calorie choices. Your body just might still be adjusting to the new way of eating.

Are you eating back any exercise calories?
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Thanks :) yeah I'll give that a go tomorrow. Luckily I'm taking my son swimming in the morning so I can do a bigger lunch for us when we get in. As you said, it's more than likely my body is still adjusting. I think sometimes I just snack out of boredom rather than 'real' hunger so I need to cut that down and maybe bulk up my meals more to feel a bit more satiated. It's just the last bit of weight I want to budge but really I want to focus on building muscle (which is harder than it seems strangely enough).
    I do eat back exercise calories - not all of them, it depends what I've done. E.g. yesterday I did about 4hrs exercise so eating it back would be impossible, I just wanted to sleep! Probably why I'm more hungry today. I'm sure it'll all balance out, but I am enjoying this way of eating and I love cooking so it suits me pretty well. :)