Losing slowly people: question

Options
If your goal is losing .5 a week or so, do you actually lose .5 a week or is that your average? That's basically what I am trying to do, being pretty close to goal & just wanting to knock off a few vanity pounds, and it seems like I'll go 1-1.5 every few weeks, then either gain or stay the same in between. My average is .7 lbs over a month, but I've never actually had a .5 weight loss during that time. TIA!

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    That is pretty normal, especially for females, our constant changes in hormones and the scale don't play nice together....

Focus on your trend over time, if you are happy with that you know you plan is working.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    It's an average.
  • emilygduran
    emilygduran Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Using an app that tracks your weight loss trend is helpful. I use Libra, I think there's one called happy scales too.
  • crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    storyjorie wrote: »
    If your goal is losing .5 a week or so, do you actually lose .5 a week or is that your average? That's basically what I am trying to do, being pretty close to goal & just wanting to knock off a few vanity pounds, and it seems like I'll go 1-1.5 every few weeks, then either gain or stay the same in between. My average is .7 lbs over a month, but I've never actually had a .5 weight loss during that time. TIA!

It's probably because of your monthly cycle. I lose fast for two weeks, stall out for a few days, go up a couple of pounds during my period, then drop it all in a day and go back to losing. I'm probably losing 1.5-2 lbs a month, or 0.5 lb a week on average. I didn't understand the cyclical pattern of loss until I started weighing myself daily for a couple months, then it became really obvious. Knowing the stall and gain during my period is normal, and how much gain is normal, makes it easier not to get frustrated.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Wow, YES! I'm in the exact same boat right now. I don't have much to lose and I have my weight loss goal set to 0.5 lbs because I don't want to be hungry (trying to lose 1 lb a week on 1200 cals, no thank you). -However, yes, my weight fluctuates but then within a couple weeks I may see a 1 lb loss, and then it doesn't seem to move at all for a long time.

Currently I am trying to focus on the differences I can visually see from working hard at the gym and eating healthy. The number on the scale for me is not going to move much right now, so I'm just going to make other small goals.

Keep it up
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

If I am consistent for 3-4 weeks I'll usually lose a pound (my scales doesn't have half pounds) if I'm on a 0.5lb deficit.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much, good to know! It gets really frustrating because sometimes it almost feels like I am "imagining" the weight loss as the losses are small and then it seems like I "regress" with gains, and the gains have all happened in the week before my period as suggested! Low the week after it, high the week before it, and it's varied the other two. So I guess it's one of the joys of being a girl. :-)
  • cbl40
    cbl40 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. I am at a healthy body weight, just want to get very lean so it's slowwwwwww going.
  • 06cindy
    06cindy Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Same same here. I'm at a .5lb deficit and don't see the scale change downward very often. Just eating at maintenance for 1 day will cause a 1lb scale increase. I'm seeing new muscle definition in my arms and shoulders so even though the scale says this month I haven't lost, I know I'm making progress at getting leaner.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much, good to know! It gets really frustrating because sometimes it almost feels like I am "imagining" the weight loss as the losses are small and then it seems like I "regress" with gains, and the gains have all happened in the week before my period as suggested! Low the week after it, high the week before it, and it's varied the other two. So I guess it's one of the joys of being a girl. :-)

Yep...

a restaurant meal, even staying in my cals, scale goes up
    Couple of glasses of wine, scale goes up
    Long run, scale goes up
    Get my period, scale goes up...
    *sigh* :laugh:

Glad I'm not alone!! Although I am a runner and the lowest I have been thus far was right after my half-marathon...though I suspect running for 2 hours in 80 degree heat and then having severe GI distress for 2 days straight probably got rid of a lot of water weight!!
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    Yes, I use happy scale (the app) to track my weight. I weigh daily because I like to see what foods affect the scale. I will stay within .2 for weeks, then boom down 2 lbs. then the next week...up a pound a day, then all of a sudden it is all back off. I don't have periods any more but probably still do have hormone fluctuations. Anyway...I love the app happy scale, it shows your general trend and shows but minimizes the fluctuations!