Heart Rate Monitor Advice

Options
I know I really don't need a HRM to lose weight. I would just like one. I can't afford the really expensive ones....you know the good ones....lol. But I was at Walmart yesterday and saw a watch one for 50.00 or 60.00 dollars. Does anyone have any first hand experience with these, is it worth buying or am I just wasting my money?

Thanks oodles :D

Replies

• christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    Bump, I'm wondering the same thing!
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I went with one of those at first trying to save money and it was crappy. If you look hard enough and are patient you can find a good Polar on Amazon or eBay for around $60. You'll be glad you waited.
  • cillytilly
    cillytilly Posts: 243
    Options
    I got the Polar FT4 for 63 on Amazon. Today is my first day of using it and I love it. This one comes with its monitor band in it also.
  • neurochamp
    neurochamp Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I can't vouch for the ones you saw because I don't know what brand they are, but I got a Timex Zone Trainer (model TH5881 I think) from Amazon for under $60, with free shipping, and I love it. Don't "invest" in anything without a chest strap, I've heard/read that the readings are notoriously unreliable.
  • poutyp11
    poutyp11 Posts: 10
    Options
    I got a polar off amazon for under 50 dollars. I love it!
  • salmoninthebeak
    Options
    I have a Mio Motiva Petite watch that I got from Best Buy that I really like.... I think it was in that price range.
    It will track your calories burned when it is in one of it's timers. I can set it for 24 hours (countdown) and track how many calories I burn during a day, I can set it at 0:00 and count up while I am working out to see how much I burn during a work out too.
  • JMYGA
    JMYGA Posts: 26
    Options
    My Timex was $50. Have had it for nearly 2 months and it's been fine.
  • lazatin
    lazatin Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kim_mc
    kim_mc Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    If you could wait and save a little bit more $$ you could get a PolarFT4 on ebay for just a little more. I love mine!
  • browntm2
    browntm2 Posts: 1
    Options
    I've been using the Polar FT7 for about 7 months and it is outstanding. Tracks your HR and calories burned and syncs up with most exercise equipment. Well worth the $90.
  • MoonIite
    MoonIite Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Sportline Duo watch (comes with a chest strap) is around $50.
  • charlene77
    charlene77 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Geez, thanks for all the great advice!!!!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I'd honestly save for a Polar.. Either the FT4 or the FT7, both are excellent HRM's. I have the FT7 and I love it!

I'd steer clear of TImex.. I made the mistake of buying that before doing any research, and the calorie count was through the roof
    The only good part about it was that you could change the batteries your self.
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    You can change an FT4's batteries by yourself and I'm pretty sure you can do the same for an FT7.
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    You can get the polar ft4 on amazon for $55. Go that route.
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    You can change an FT4's batteries by yourself and I'm pretty sure you can do the same for an FT7.

Yes this is true on the newer ones