Which scale would be more accurate?

Options
So I've been losing weight for about a month now and I *think* I've lost about 15 ish lbs. I moved at the end of January so I don't have the same scale I've used for years, but I bought a new fancy digital one which I personally think seems more accurate as I don't feel like I look any different. But I go to the gym almost every day except for Sundays, and the spring scale at the gym gives me a COMPLETELY!!! different number. The reason I don't know which one is accurate is because the spring scale is a spring scale, and when there's no weight on it it stays at 0. But I feel like my home digital scale is more accurate. The scale at my gym says I'm about 15 lbs less than my scale at home.

Here are pictures I took today because I wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy.

j7gqhvp4ys4p.jpg

fok5101sl1sd.jpg

zpvdnj4ubkfb.jpg

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Pick up two big weights at your gym and put them on the spring scales - then you will know how accurate they are.

You could also take your digital scales to the gym and do the same thing of course.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Is your digital scale sitting on carpet?
  • nchrty
    nchrty Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    All I can say is one of those scales is seriously broken if you are showing a 15 lb difference between the two. Get a 3rd opinion from another scale. That or just go with the one that shows you weigh the least :)
  • JustAnotherOneOfThoseGirls
    Options
    just from experience working at a gym, we don't really maintain the small floor scales to check their accuracy or anything, I know the one's we had could be off by 1-2 kg, but the massive one's that do all BF, muscle % etc tend to be quite accurate, if you have one of those at the gym. Also, make sure your scales (both the home and gym set) are on a flat, level, smooth surface (no carpet etc.). And if all else fails, do as a previous poster said and manually test the accuracy by using a weight/s
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Also, the time of day, what you've done, and what you've eaten makes a difference (not 15 pounds, but enough to skew your results). Pick one of the scales and forget about the other. I suggest picking one day a week and weigh yourself right after getting out of bed (after using the restroom of course :blush: ).
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options
    Hi
    And if You are really worried about it use a Balance beam scale like You would see at a doctors office. I check mine for Zero every time before I use it. It really was not that expensive via Amazon I just made sure to pick one that offered free shipping.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    you cannot compare weights on two completely different scales and assume you lost 15lbs