Opinions about Phentarmine 37.5mg?

Options
Hi everyone! What can you guys say about phentarmine 37.5mg and what's the best place to buy it? (Costco, wallgreens, wallmart...?) I have heard, there are a few differences between the pharmacies.
Please help :)

Replies

• kq1981
    kq1981 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Yuk. I hate them. I lost weight on them. Put it all on again. I was hoping for a quick fix. It just doesn't happen (for me) and my moods were so up and down. It's like a pharmaceutical speed (feels like it). Have u tried mfp? Logging foods? It's the ONLY thing that's worked for me thus far. But that's just my story.
  • DannyYMi54321
    DannyYMi54321 Posts: 77 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    If you don't have prescription coverage, or your plan considers it not medically necessary, there are prescription discount apps that find the lowest prices in your area and generate a coupon the pharmacy should honor. Good Rx is a good app or there is also a website.

So ... Phentermine is one of the drugs in a class known as substituted amphetimines. Like many medications it is a treatment option and a tool. It is not a quick fix or a miracle cure. There are both good and bad things about drugs in this class.

The good ... most people will experience appetite supression to some degree while the drug is active in their system. The effect varies, some people will have little appetite, for others it doesn't really do much. The effect should last 6-12 hours depending on whether you are taking regular or extended-release formulation pills. There may be an uptick in your energy level.

The bad ... it may not work for you. Definite potential to cause insomnia so you need to take it in the morning .... which means for many people it has worn off by the "danger hours" for nightime compulsive eating. Some people get a nice energy boost like a cup of coffee ... some people feel like they've had 6 espressos and get jittery, shaky, nervous, rapid heartbeat etc. You could experience any of the other side effects known to occur ... which for almost any drug can be a lot of things, mostly minor but you should read about them first so you are making an informed decision. Finally this drug is basically for short-term use because the appetite-suppressant effect diminishes as your body develops tolerance. It may help to cycle on and off, like skip every 3rd day or something, but check with your prescribing physician first.

My disclaimer: I am not a medical professional, I am merely relating my experiemce as a patient as well as what I have heard other patients say, so don't interpret any of my statement as medical advice or fact.

For me ... I tried it ... it wax ok but nothing to write home about. My insurance considered it "cosmetic" so didn't cover it, but it was generic and $10 for 30 days at Kroger pharmacy. Definitely had to take before noon or I had trouble sleeping. I didn't have any other side effects except for the insomnia. Got a little energy boost, about like drinking a Red Bull. But ultimately I don't think it did a lot for me because I definitely ate less during the day and had to kind of make myself eat my designated healthy amounts ... then at night, which is my worst danger time for cheating anyway, I was physically hungry as well as psychologically triggered.

I'm on a different but related drug now, Vyvanse. I'm prescribed it to help with short-term cognitive dysfunction that is a side effect of other health problems. The bonus for me ... it's a stronger appetite supressant but still needs to cycle on and off to stay effective for both cognition and appetite. It took a bit of a fight to get coverage because it's pricey, the first prescription was denied and I had to file an appeal with Blue Cross and provide additional documentation and a letter from a second treating doctor. Been on that for about 5 months and it has definitely helped me focus at work - and I've lost about 8% of my body mass during that time between diet and exercise - even though at times I've definitely cheated and hit a few rough patches. Vyvanse is approved for binge eating as well as cognitive issues, anyone with that disgnosis who could get it prescribed and covered should check it out.
  • cessi0909
    cessi0909 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    My non=professional opinion: weigh your food, track your calories and don't use pills (that can have dangerous side effects) as a crutch.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Tried it. Hated it. Not worth the side effects.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Professional opinion- you're needing a DRUG to try to lose weight. That means you'll likely NEED it the rest of your life because you haven't found the desire or discipline to do it on your own.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • baconbutt31
    baconbutt31 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Professional opinion- you're needing a DRUG to try to lose weight. That means you'll likely NEED it the rest of your life because you haven't found the desire or discipline to do it on your own.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
    Witness opinion - It's an excellent tool, especially when used in conjunction with logging food and somewhat following macros. Extra emphasis on the word "tool". :)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Lizzy622 wrote: »
    Tried it. Hated it. Not worth the side effects.

Same here :confounded:
  • kq1981
    kq1981 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    It's like a pharmaceutical speed. I think it's the equivalent to duramine here in Australia. I hated it, my moods were up and down a lot and put all the weight I lost back on. I was looking for a quick fix to skinny though. It wasn't for me.