I'm scared to eat

Options
princessemma24
princessemma24 Posts: 6 Member
edited March 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi does anyone know how to stop themselves from saying no to food because of being scared? I'm scared to eat, I'm scared I'll get fat so I'm not eating and it's making people worry because I'm ending up poorly I eat maybe one thing a day is normal reaction or is this an illness?

Replies

• kq1981
    kq1981 Posts: 1,098 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Definitely speak to someone about your thought process!!!! It
    I do, although, remember when I started this journey, and I realise now it wasn't that I was scared to eat; it was that I didn't understand about calorie in calorie out. I'm learning what foods satisfy my appetite that I love that's under my calorie intake. Eating food does not make u fat. Eating too much is another story. Please speak to your dr x
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Please speak to a professional. You need to consider your health. This can be high risk.

Remember that you can eat up to your maintenance calories and not gain fat.. that's why logging is important as you know exactly how much you're eating.
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Eating is not what makes people fat...eating too much is what makes people fat. Either find your maintenance calories (if at a good weight) or amount needed to lose (if you're currently overweight) and use the concern/fear you're feeling to be diligent about hitting that amount of calories. Being overweight is a sign of being unhealthy, but so is being underweight. Try to find some perspective and balance;)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I agree with talking someone who knows about eating disorders about your fears.
    Weight gain happens because you consistently eat more calories than you need to maintain your weight- not how much food you eat or how many meals you have a day. You can figure out the maintenance calories you would need for your desired weight and log your food to make sure you eat enough but not over. I don't know if it would help you to see the numbers and realize you can eat more without gaining.
  • BootCampC
    BootCampC Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    eating normal portions does not make you fat , over eating and processed junk does. lots of it. eat clean , eat 5-6 small meals a day.. don't let fear rule who you want to be
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Are you truly fearful of eating or are you apprehensive because you are not clear on how CICO works?

If it's the first I agree seeking help is the answer.

If it's the later just plug your stats into mfp and set to maintain your current weight. Thats the number of calories you can eat without gaining weight. You can eat whatever foods you want as long as you stay at the calorie goal. Obviously you will want to have an overall nutritious diet but there is always room for sweets or "junk" food:).

There are also ways to plan for special occasions. Let's say you can eat 2000 calories to maintain and you have an event coming up, you can eat a few days or a week before at 1800 and use the "saved" calories for your event.

Having explained a little does that help? If you are still scared to eat then it could be an issue and professional help is recommended.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    BootCampC wrote: »
    eating normal portions does not make you fat , over eating and processed junk does. lots of it. eat clean , eat 5-6 small meals a day.. don't let fear rule who you want to be

Nope. Wrong. Eating a calorie surplus causes weight gain. No need to eat 5-6 small meals (who has time for that?), no need to eat clean (whatever THAT means? Washing produce?)

Don't let silly rules rule who you want to be.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    BootCampC wrote: »

Completely wrong.
    Eating normal portions can make you fat if they sum up to more calories than you burn.
    Eating clean doesn't mean anything. There is no junk food. Don't propagate superstitions.