Looking for Tomatillo Recipes OTHER than salsas

Options
dragonflydi
dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
So, I decided to venture out and buy a produce item I had never tried before and step outside of my comfort zone. I chose tomatillos and the only recipes I seem to find for them on here and online are for salsas, sauces, etc.

Does anyone have any great recipes for these fun little green things that I can try to isn't just a sauce or salsa? Side dish perhaps??

TIA!!

Replies

• Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    The grocery store across the street sells tomatillos cheap. I'm interested as well.
  • rainbowbuggy
    rainbowbuggy Posts: 320
    Options
    I make sauce with them and put them on pork chops with some avocado and brown rice.
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    This month's Bon Appetit had a tasty looking Ceviche with tomatillos...
    http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/2011/08/ceviche-verde
  • ahunkofmexican
    Options
    There are so many things you can do with vege's in general. Depending on your diet you can fry them like fried green tomatos
    Hollow them out and stuff them like bellpeppers then bake
    add them in to chicken salad or macaroni salad
    or like me , i'm on Atkins for the next two more months and i use them as peperoni for my meat pizza crust with cheese and other tasty things
    slice them into strips and then coat them and fry them like french fries
    soup
    All you have to do is google or bing recipes or go to the public library and check out Julia Childs or hispanic cook books. A little research and creativity can open new doors to new dinners. As far as recipes i create as i go and do not write much
    Good luck Chunk of jolly green mex i can
  • RissaDean
    RissaDean Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    FYI - different cooking techniques change the flavor of the a LOT. If you cut them up and use them for a sauce, they're going to taste much different than if you roast them first. I mean, different as in a whole different food. My hubby likes them in sauces (over chicken, etc) but won't eat them roasted. He says it makes them too tart.

I don't have any recipes to share since I usually just make a quick sauce to go over chicken and rice :)
  • bj27
    bj27 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Try this it's awesome in the slow cooker.. has a bit of bite due to the tart tomatillo's and the pickled jalepeno's but just add sugar to taste to take that away.. serve over rice... yummy

Tomatillo Pork Braise With Pickled Chilies
    (Puerco En Salsa Verde)
    Ingredients
    • 1 1/2 lbs tomatillos, husked, rinsed and cut into 1 inch pieces
    • 3 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
    • 3-4 canned pickled jalapeno peppers, stemmed, halved and seeds scraped out
    • 1/2 cup loosely packed roughly chopped fresh cilantro (divided use)
    • salt
    • 1 1/2-2 lbs boneless pork shoulder, cut into 1 inch cubes
    • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    • 2 (15 ounce) cans large white great northern beans, drained (or 3 1/2 cups home cooked
    beans)
    • 1/2 teaspoon sugar, if needed
    Directions
    1. Scoop the tomatillos into a slow cooker and spread them in an even layer. Scatter
    on the garlic, jalapenos and half of the cilantro. Sprinkle evenly with 1 ½ tsp salt.
    2. In a large bowl, combine the pork and Worcestershire sauce, mixing until the
    cubes are well coated. Distribute the meat over the tomatillo mixture. Cover and
    slow cook on high for 6 hours.
    3. With a pair of tongs, remove the pork to a bowl. Tip or ladle the sauce mixture
    into a blender and add the remaining cilantro. Cover loosely and blend until
    smooth; return the mixture to the slow cooker. Stir in the drained beans, taste and
    add salt as necessary; Stir in a little water if the sauce has thickened beyond the
    consistency of a light cream soup. Add a little sugar if the sauce is too tart. Return
    the meat to the pot, let everything warm through and serve.
  • otkari
    otkari Posts: 1
    Options
  • dragonflydi
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I should have done some research first and THEN bought them, but I grabbed them on a whim. Maybe I'll use some for a sauce and roast some and have a 'taste test' with my kids this weekend!!
  • dragonflydi
    Options
    All you have to do is google or bing recipes or go to the public library and check out Julia Childs or hispanic cook books. A little research and creativity can open new doors to new dinners. As far as recipes i create as i go and do not write much

I did google and research them, but almost everything that I found was a sauce or salsa ... and I just knew there had to be something out there that was more than that. I don't do much hispanic or mexican cooking because I cannot tolerate spicy food and most of the recipes I find call for spicy peppers or chilis. That limits my options, but I really wanted to try something new anyway :) I do love to be creative in the kitchen though ... I'm sure I'll be able to do something!