Newbie - Using crossfit w/new healthier diet

Options
mrstrod1
mrstrod1 Posts: 17 Member
Hi y'all! I just joined a couple of days ago, but I am serious about working hard. I don't have many friends who understand the struggle to get fit in my real life so I would love some online friends who do! Looking for people to share their positive energy and I would love to do the same for others!

If anyone would like to share their crossfit experience, I'd love to hear from you - like how hard was it when you started? How did you keep motivated to keep it up? I wont lie, I am exhausted - these are the hardest workouts I have ever done! But I am trying to keep my head in the game!

This is me in a nutshell:
I am a 45 year-old mom of two teenagers and I have been married for 20 years to my sweetheart of 26 years. I am also a full-time student - I returned to school a few years ago to get my teaching degree. I had to take this semester off because in September I was diagnosed with breast cancer, but I am cancer free and heeling now so I plan to return for my final semester this fall!

My cancer is the really motivator for me getting fit. The odds of recurrence for my type of cancer are especially affected by obesity. And they are much higher than other types of cancer, at least in the first five years. So, I quit smoking (4 months ago) and now I need to get my diet in check and get moving!

Replies

• gailowens75
    gailowens75 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi There just seeing your post. So sorry to hear about your cancer but I'm inspired by your journey. Re Crossfit, is awesome if done properly make sure they scale it down for you, also make your coaches are more trained than a two day course. Some Crossfit boxes are great, a lot aren't. However it is a lot of fun, you can't beat it. Well done you. I am re-habbing my lungs at the moment, I am brittle asthmatic. I put on 40lb with steroids, so trying hard to lose that. All the best in your journey. Nice to meet you, blessing from Ireland.
  • mrstrod1
    mrstrod1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks gailowens75! I'm actually going to a really great cross-fit gym, it was recommended to me by my plastic surgeon because he knew they would work in modifications for me since I am still in the my reconstruction phase. I opted to take personal training sessions instead of group classes for the first few weeks (about 15 hour-long sessions). I felt that since this was all new, and I never really did anything like this and also the fact that I am not the most coordinated person, I would benefit from the one on one attention first even it it's costing more. I'm really liking it so far, especially when I am in the gym but I am super-crazy achy! But I guess that is to be expected when you actually use muscles you neglected for years! LOL :)