Parents taking me to a SEAFOOD Buffet on Friday.

Options
2»

Replies

• DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would just eat truckloads of smoked salmon and whatever else non-fried, non-dressed fish I could find. I would avoid white rice on sushi. Besides, cheap carbs are how they "get ya" at buffets anyway. ;)
  • cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Just enjoy yourself! Have a sensible lunch, do a good workout and have your dinner! If you want to be healthy, avoid the butter and any "coated" seafood (fried shrimp, etc). Try to get the fresh stuff... steamed shrimp, crab legs, fish filets, etc. Those aren't as high calorie. Also, imitation crab meat is relatively low calorie as well so if they have that in some form without mayo, go for it!

Have fun :)
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    3.5 oz of King Crab legs is 100 calories and 1100 mg of sodium
    3.5 oz of Dungeness Crab at 110 calories and 380 mg of sodium.
    3.5 oz of boiled shrimp is 100 calories and 220 mg of Sodium
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    work out like crazy, make smart decisions, allow myself 1 or 2 reasonable indulgences (otherwise I'd obsess about it). Sushi is still really high in calories, btw.
  • leilani♥
    leilani♥ Posts: 579
    Options
    @Helen thanks .. I was feeling a bit defensive ... dang hormones haha!

3.5 oz of King Crab legs is 100 calories and 1100 mg of sodium
    3.5 oz of Dungeness Crab at 110 calories and 380 mg of sodium.
    3.5 oz of boiled shrimp is 100 calories and 220 mg of Sodium

@crody THANKS for the info!!! That's pretty awesome. Crab legs is what I'm totally looking forward to more than anything there ;)
  • Countrymade
    Countrymade Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Bump, Thanks for the info.
  • plv2010
    plv2010 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm actually in the same situation. My birthday is coming up next week, and my parents want to take me out to dinner. I know that I'm not going to be making the best food choices, so I'm going to make up for it by going to a Zumba class in the morning, and one at night.
  • dawnw30
    dawnw30 Posts: 270
    Options
    Honestly, I would consider it a free day. Assuming you don't do this regularly I don't see the harm in having a treat. Just don't go overboard on greasy/fried/buttery things or you may upset your tummy. I actually have a free day every Sunday and it hasn't hurt me at all. I know some people get all up in arms about what you can or can't do - but everyone is different and what works for some may not work for all. Anyway - again - I say go and enjoy! :drinker:
  • plv2010
    Options
    BTW, I see your screen name is Leilani. Are you from Hawaii by any chance?
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    The sushi rolls and ngiri are worse by far than sashimi (just raw fish alone). It's the rice and sauces etc that get you, although I did get some nice California rolls yesterday at Trader Joe's, they aren't that bad since they are made with brown rice, like 140 cals per 4 slices.
  • leilani♥
    leilani♥ Posts: 579
    Options
    BTW, I see your screen name is Leilani. Are you from Hawaii by any chance?

yes, I used to live on Oahu. I'm in Arizona now tho :)

THANKS GUYS -- I will feel less guilty about tomorrow nights dinner :D

@Killa I like tuna sashimi more than regular sushi itself :)
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    @Killa I like tuna sashimi more than regular sushi itself :)

I'm with you on that...I love me some raw tuna, especially tossed around in a nice soy-ginger type sauce with some black pepper.
  • Hodar
    Hodar Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I will be the devil's advocate here. It is just ONE meal, not a common occurrence. The is likely an expensive meal, and a treat. Eat whatever you want, maybe take it easy that morning and dinner - but don't ruin the experience for anyone else, or yourself. You won't put 2 lbs of fat on with a single meal.

Don't gorge on fried food, but don't deprive yourself of a real treat.

When it's all over, you will be happy, and resume the calorie counting again the next morning. No big deal.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    "I joined 5 months ago and didn't log anything 3 days after I joined. I just got back into this site yesterday after gaining more weight in the 5 months that passed due to not taking care of myself and lack of exercise. I'm back in the mix and I don't count my sign up date as my official date. To me, yesterday was the first day to my slimming process."

I think I've got it — you joined 5 months ago, participated for a few days, quit for 5 months, and gained weight. Now you're back and ready to rock, and you want to know what to do about an invite to an all you can eat buffet.

How you got here (how any of us got here) really doesn't make a difference. And I'm not expecting you to justify anything to me or anyone else.

The issue, for me, is now that I'm here, what am I trying to accomplish so I ask myself this question - "Will this activity help me reach my weight loss and fitness goals?"
  • plv2010
    Options
    Oh wow! Great to find another Oahu-ian on here, let alone someone from Hawaii.
  • sarahcs424
    sarahcs424 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I would pig out. Its not a big deal you won't be doing it everyday. My trainer told me to have one cheat day a week and not to worry about the calories the fat nothing. Its been wonderful because I recently went to a bbq and ate everything I wanted and even had a beer and I lost 2 lbs that weekend!!! So let loose eat what you want!!!