Supplements/Fat burners

Options
jadaatenise
jadaatenise Posts: 17 Member
edited March 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm trying to lose about 40lbs and want to know if any supplement is worth the investment. I know they aren't a necessity but I'm interested in trying some. Suggestions? Recommendations? Thoughts?

Replies

• subcounter
    subcounter Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to lose about 40lbs and want to know if any supplement is worth the investment. I know they aren't a necessity but I'm interested in trying some. Suggestions? Recommendations? Thoughts?

Supplements for workouts are absolutely unnecessary for a beginner. Good old Coffee is a good pre-workout.

I mean some people debate that its a supplement but Protein powders can be beneficial if you are an individual that do not consume enough protein. I love it in my morning oats, and eating chicken breasts & lean meat all the time can get boring after a while.
  • andrewq6100
    andrewq6100 Posts: 415 Member
    Options

what @subcounter said is essential, only start supplementing after you have got a feel of how your body works with proper nutrition and training, then after that If your really looking for some good supplements of course bodybuilding.com is a great place to start
  • jadaatenise
    Options
    Thanks! I've been an athlete all my life but can never seem to lean out, maybe it's just my body type. What do you think of fat burners? And what protein do you use? @subcounter
  • jadaatenise
    Options
    Thank you! I'll check it out. Any personal favorites of yours if you use any? @andrewq6100
  • subcounter
    subcounter Posts: 2,382 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Thanks! I've been an athlete all my life but can never seem to lean out, maybe it's just my body type. What do you think of fat burners? And what protein do you use? @subcounter

Don't use those. They all have these useless ingredients apart from caffeine, and you can get it cheaper and tastier by brewing it yourself.

Leaning out can happen only by eating less calories than you use in a day. Find out your maintenance calories, I mean this depends on your body size, height etc, and eat less than that.

You should follow MFP guide, start with the goal of losing 1lb/week, as you get closer to your goal, it will be harder, so I would drop it to 0.5lb/week closer to the end, so you don't lose as much muscle in the process.

Follow a good exercise program, like 5x5 strong lifts if you're starting out, or perhaps a more intermediate one prepped by a professional specific to you, so your muscle losses along the way will be minimal. (You can even gain "some" muscle, depending on where you are on muscle department, beginners get better results in this).

P.S. I use Myprotein, chocolate smooth flavor. I mention the flavor because I've ordered peanut cookie flavor before. I love peanuts, I love cookie, what could go wrong right? Nope, that thing tastes like the end of the banana that you don't eat. My blender still have the ghost smell of it after months, maybe its just in my mind, who knows.
    There was a nice post on reddit about the flavors you can try, with ratings, check this out.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Say "no" to anything claiming to be a fat burner that isn't a calorie deficit with or without exercise. It's all lies.
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Some have side effects. Some said their heart was racing even at night whilst trying to sleep. hot and sweating. They do help. I use to drink black coffee, no sugar, no milk. That is a real good method. Try it

Also the more leaner you are the harder it is to lose weight.
  • jadaatenise
    Options
    I'm not lean at all lol trying to get there. Currently at a calorie deficit working out 4-5 times a week. I'm not a fan of the taste of coffee unfortunately lol but I might just have to suck it up @kaizaku
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Nope
  • RosieS_1980
    RosieS_1980 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I use myprotein, they have a range of women's products. I have their protein shakes (I either have an actual shake or put a scoop in my oats for breakfast) and also the skinny hot chocolate which is so good! :) as for supplements, I just take a multivitamin. A regular coffee with almond milk to start the day and then a tonne of water throughout :)
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I'm not lean at all lol trying to get there. Currently at a calorie deficit working out 4-5 times a week. I'm not a fan of the taste of coffee unfortunately lol but I might just have to suck it up @kaizaku

The more weight you have to lose, it's easier to lose. Your pic shows you good how you are, so it will be hard to lose.

I hate coffee too. I had to hold my nose. A tip, it's easier to drink in few gulp rather taking small sips. It's sooo nasty lol
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Nothing that isn't illegal
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I use myprotein, they have a range of women's products. I have their protein shakes (I either have an actual shake or put a scoop in my oats for breakfast) and also the skinny hot chocolate which is so good! :) as for supplements, I just take a multivitamin. A regular coffee with almond milk to start the day and then a tonne of water throughout :)

A bit ot but "Women's products" are all about marketing. Hopefully you've compared lots of similar products, men's women's and gender neutral before settling on something "made for women."
  • RosieS_1980
    RosieS_1980 Posts: 61 Member
    Options

A bit ot but "Women's products" are all about marketing. Hopefully you've compared lots of similar products, men's women's and gender neutral before settling on something "made for women."

I've been using myprotein for years. Long before they introduced these new products. I don't use the women's powder but I do use the skinny hot chocolate and their multi vitamins aimed at women
  • jnducharme
    jnducharme Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I don't like coffee either. I've been taking Trans4orm from bodybuilding.com and honestly I love it. They say not to take it for more than 2 months at a time though. It's mostly green tea, coffee bean, vitamin d and b12 and some other stuff I can't remember the names of. It suppresses my appetite and makes me super energized and focused for my workouts, I feel like I can push way harder after taking it than without it. It's also supposed to be a fat burner but honestly I can't say how much of this it does since I attribute my progress to my calorie deficit and exercise ( I am currently doing Insanity and weight lifting). I have gone from 129-124lbs in 2 months and although this isn't much Weight I've gotten wayyy leaner and built a lot of muscle. I've done insanity before without suppliments and had similar results so in the end it's about diet and exercise but I think trans4orm can definitely improve workouts. If you want to be lean my suggestion is to do a program like Insanity that is strength HITT training because this will burn off fat quickly while building lean muscle. I also lift weights 4 days/week and think incorporating some extra low intensity cardio and weights along with insanity can be a nice well rounded program. If you want to know more about this or see my progress pics feel free to add me:)