Gym stories

Options
13»

Replies

• Idle_Moon
    Idle_Moon Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Went to the gym after not going several times. The first thing I saw was a guy humping, rubbing his d on the ground in the middle of the room.
    Ah... Good to be back.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,830 Member
    Options
    @Idle_Moon what a cute budgie!

YEARS ago I was running on the treadmill and was apparently stamping too hard, because the readout suddenly read out HELP

?????? True story! I have no idea how any treadmill display would be set up to do that.
  • HealthierRayne
    HealthierRayne Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    A few years ago I was walking on a treadmill talking to my friend on the machine next to me.... and then I was suddenly off the machine standing at the back on the ground like a complete tool. I thankfully didn't fall or hurt myself but I just magically walked off a treadmill by being distracted, lol!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I watched in horror as a guy leg pressed on the Smith machine. I figured it was only a matter of time before he smashed his face.

That's actually a very old school move- usually done with a free standing bar bell- which IMHO is WAY scarier- it hits the very top of the hammy - bottom of the glute- it's a great exercise.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    holy necro thread. damn
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    holy necro thread. damn

Meh, I've seen older.
  • ivygirl1937
    ivygirl1937 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Idle_Moon wrote: »
    Went to the gym after not going several times. The first thing I saw was a guy humping, rubbing his d on the ground in the middle of the room.
    Ah... Good to be back.

What?? Just....what?!? :astonished:
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    richln wrote: »
    I was lifting pretty late one cold, winter night at the only hotel in a small town in the middle of nowhere, Maryland. It was a tiny gym, but not bad for a hotel; it was mostly filled with a few machines, a rack of dumbbells, and I was using the only power cage to do some rack pulls. Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed this monstrous figure approaching from my side. I turned towards him and said, "Holy balls, aren't you Ronnie Coleman?". "Yes, sir" he replied, with a big smile. He continued, "Hey buddy, I was driving through town, but the snow started to get really deep, so I decided to stay the night here. I need to get my workout in and get to bed ASAP, so do you mind if I work in with you?"

Of course I let him work in! He was telling jokes nonstop while he stretched to warm up. He asked me if I took any supplements. "Only that Deer Celltek" I said, pointing towards my off-brand, cheap pre-workout powder that came in a big tub with a corny camouflage label. "Now that's funny!" he exclaimed, then asked me, "mind if I use that joke?". "Go for it," I replied, not sure if he realized that I wasn't kidding, and that was the actual name of the stuff since it was a ripoff of the Cell-Tech name brand and it had deer antler velvet extract in it (everyone was throwing that in their products at the time due to those IGF-1 studies).

After a couple of warm-up sets, he was egging me on, and it started to feel a little competitive. I could already tell that this man was driven to always compete and win, a trait that no doubt helped him significantly along his career. I didn't plan on going very heavy that night, since I was tired from a long day of work, but this guy was just not taking any excuses whatsoever. I upped the game for our next set, slapping all the plates this little hotel gym had to offer onto the bar. I popped off a few reps of this 395 lbs, slowly grinding out my last rep, hoping to get an exuberant high-five from Ronnie when I finally ran out of steam. However, there would be no high-fives that evening, as the collar popped off the bar when I set it down, and a 5-lb plate bounced right off the bar behind it, landing on the floor accompanied with an odd cracking sound. I had never seen a plate crack completely in half before, but there it sat on the floor, now in two very distinct pieces. "Aww, that's too bad, but nice effort on that last rep," he congratulated me as he stripped the other 5-lb plate off of the other side of the bar to balance out the load. He then went on to 30-rep 385 lbs for several sets, but that is my story of the night I beat Ronnie Coleman in a rack-pull competition.

#alternativefacts

Six weeks late, but holy *kitten*, that's awesome!!!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,436 Member
    Options
    Fun zombie thread; I'm good with a bump.
    --
    I work out some at the local Y. I looovveee my Y! Everybody's there: Old, young, fat, thin, fit, rich, poor, just starting workouts, ripped folks, bros and experts, every language spoken, hijabi women, old guys who just like to use the jacuzzi (and maybe sauna), you name it.

They also have a day care. One of my very favorite things is that when they move the toddlers from room to room, they have them hold onto a hula hoop (if there only up to 3-4 of them) or a rope (if there are more). So stinkin' cute! These are like 2-3 year old kids, so they have no attention span, and haven't necessarily mastered walking yet, let alone synchronized walking . . . some of them insist on being at the 'front' of the hulu hoop so keep moving up if others usurp; some feel the need to say "hi" and wave at everyone, slowing down the whole messy parade. So funny!
    --
    I've been doing spin classes twice a week for probably a decade, even while obese, and that wasn't my only cardiovascular improvement strategy (I'm a rower). Since I'm old (59 when I started losing weight), age + fat often led newbies to under-estimate the fat ol' lady. I kind of miss that. One time we had a substitute instructor, someone I had never seen before, mid-30s, slim and pretty fit-looking, though she did say it'd been a while since she taught spin. I swear she spent most of that class trying to amp up the pace in order to over-tax me - kept looking over at me, even as she got pinker and a little droopy looking, but kept increasing intensity (and I'm not normally one to think people are looking at me). I just kept chugging away, since I was pretty conditioned to that stuff. By the end, she looked really kind of sad . . . .
    --
    I'm a breast cancer survivor. This hasn't happened to me, but has happened to various friends: Some women who've had a mastectomy (or two) wear prosthetics that fill out their swimsuit; these fit in a special pocket in the suit. The thing is, with activity, they sometimes escape the suit, leaving the woman fishing for the thing, or (worse yet) having to enlist help from the lifeguard or others. I wouldn't think this was funny, except that the women it happens to generally find it pretty hilarious. Not sure about the bystanders. (This is one of many reasons I never wear those things when I work out.)
    --
    Maybe only meaningful to other rowers, but OMgosh, the things people do on rowing machines! Usually these are set on max resistance, monitor set on calories (most useless of the possible options), and they're whipping up and down the slide at some bodacious-high strokes per minute while the handle doesn't move much except to have to hop over the knees that get in the way. They usually don't last as much as 5 minutes. If you look at the memory later, their virtual boat was going at creeper speed. Even quite a few trainers teach people incorrect things about how to use the rowing machine. The people getting a poor workout are one thing, but some of these folks seem to be trying to hurt knees or backs, which is a worrier.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I'm 56, 220 pounds and 62". After my 13 hour work days, I purposely lift light weights incredibly slowly, bike ride or sauna at the Military base gym in 20 year old sweat shirts and pants. Some guy always comes over to chat me up. More than anyplace else including work, church, dog park. etc. I figure that I have the best pheromones in the world.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    acorsaut89 wrote: »
    This happened a while ago for the first time but it continues to happen so I need to tell the story.

I go to a gym just down the street from me - it's a pretty big gym so it's one of the busier ones. Anyways, one Tuesday night in December-ish it wasn't busy at all and I was just running my way to boredom on a treadmill when out of the corner of my eye I see a dog. And I'm like WTF . . . a dog, in the gym, cmon.

But turns out it is a service dog for a blind man. Every day, now, he comes in with his dog. His dog leads him to a treadmill or eliptical, puts the mans hand on the bar so he can pull himself onto it and then the dog lays down right beside or in front of the machine until the man is done. It melts my heart in so many ways, and makes me happy to know this man - despite having a challenge - is living the best life he possibly can. I love it!!

Ashley Judd works out at the same gym as me (at least she used to). She has an emotional support dog named Shug. I've done spin class with Ashley and Shug. I've seen them on the wellness floor together.
  • jnducharme
    jnducharme Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend was in the change room in the late afternoon and a guy arrived, pulled a 26er bottle of vodka out of his back pack, poured it into his shaker cup, and took his shaker for his workout.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    jnducharme wrote: »
    My boyfriend was in the change room in the late afternoon and a guy arrived, pulled a 26er bottle of vodka out of his back pack, poured it into his shaker cup, and took his shaker for his workout.

reminds me of the dude who asked to work in with me once, and just taking hold of the bar after he'd finished his turns i was worried about picking up a sidestream high.

MAN it took him a long time to work out what plates he needed every time we switched up :tongue: i probably should ahve said something because heavy machinery etc etc, but eh.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    jnducharme wrote: »

Yikes!!! That's pretty scary, actually. Hope he wasn't lifting heavy weight.
  • megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    The gym I used to go to where we lived before here did ladies only sessions which just happened to be when I could get babysitting. There was a woman there who used the treadmill with her handbag still on.

I was at my now local gym the day before my youngest was born. It's the only time anyone has ever asked if I was sure I should be there. I was very visibly pregnant and it was an older lady.