Quinoa - anyone tried it?

Zara_Pi
Zara_Pi Posts: 141 Member
Just come across a food called quinoa. Never heard of it before but apparently it's all protein and is a good substitute for rice.

I love my rice and bread, so need a substitute that's not high in carbs and this seems ideal.

Has anyone tried this?
What recipes have you used it in?

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    If I want rice I'll just have rice. I'd say I'd use quinoa in more of a couscous sort of way. I've had it a few times, it's just another grain really, more to do with what you add to it. I do know some people who don't like the texture.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    I tend to like it cold...especially with greek salad ingredients added....some diced red onion, cucumber, feta cheese, greek olives and a squeeze of lemon, makes a delicious quinoa salad. It's pronounced Keen-Wa btw. Maybe you knew that, but it doesn't spell at all how it sounds! :smiley:

I've also made a black bean salad with it...added fresh corn, black beans, diced red peppers, lime...yum!

Try it, it's a nice change!
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Quinoa is delicious! Just rinse it really well before cooking it, it has a natural coating called saponin on the hulls that taste like soap of you don't wash it off. :D Prepare it the same way you prepare rice. You know it's done when the kernels turn translucent and the germ starts to curl off.

I cook it with chicken stock and use it as a substitute for any grain. It doesn't have a strong taste on its own, just a mild, nutty flavor. You can even prepare it as a sweet dish, like the same way you'd eat oatmeal, with brown sugar and fresh fruit!
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Try it . I think it is delicious. I also like farro.
  • Zara_Pi
    Thanks guys. I'll pop down to the supermarket tomorrow and buy some.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Quinoa is delicious! However, as pointed out above it is a grain so contains carbohydrates. It does have more protein than the average white rice. I use it in all sorts of things, but my favorite is quinoa tabouli salad. Just substitute the quinoa instead of bulgur wheat. It's also gluten-free.

I always rinse it in a mesh strainer before cooking. It has a bitter coating that some people don't care for.
  • Natso29
    Natso29 Posts: 28 Member
    http://damndelicious.net/2014/04/09/one-pan-mexican-quinoa/

SUCH a good and easy quinoa recipe (i substitute the cumin for Cajun spice because i don't like cumin). Yes it's carbs but when it's diluted with tons of veggies you're barely eating any quinoa. I make the above recipe but double the beans and peppers and then add a bunch of shredded chicken to it. Makes 8 meal prep containers at around 350 calories for a really filing meal ☺
  • Zara_Pi
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    Zara_Pi wrote: »
    Just come across a food called quinoa. Never heard of it before but apparently it's all protein and is a good substitute for rice.

I love my rice and bread, so need a substitute that's not high in carbs and this seems ideal.

Has anyone tried this?
    What recipes have you used it in?

Nope is not all protein is mostly all carbohydrate.

1) "Quinoa contains carbohydrates in each serving, some of which comes from fiber. One cup of cooked quinoa contains 30 grams of carbohydrate, 3 grams of fat, 3 grams of dietary fiber and 5.5 grams of protein, according to “Savvy Vegetarian,” a website dedicated to healthy vegetarian choices.

2) Nutrition summary:
    There are 374 calories in 100 grams of Quinoa.

Calories:374; Fat:5.8g; Carbs 68.9g; Protein:13.1g

Calorie breakdown: 13% fat, 75% carbs, 12% protein.
    "

Good thing you pointed that out. I misunderstood the info below. It's not all protein as you've rightly said; but a complete protein.

"Unlike wheat or rice, quinoa is a complete protein - containing all eight of the essential amino acids. It has been recognised by the United Nations as a supercrop for its health benefits: packed with dietary fibre, phosphorus, magnesium and iron. It is also gluten-free and easy to digest. The facts suggest it is close to a perfect ingredient as you can get."
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    I love quinoa and farro.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    This recipe is really good. I usually make it with cherries and mango instead of the other berries listed.

http://ohsheglows.com/2011/06/20/high-protein-quinoa-almond-berry-salad/
  • nickiphillips1
    nickiphillips1 Posts: 114 Member
    I eat 1 cup of quinoa every day as part of my lunch.

Trader Joes sells frozen quinoa that you can heat up. Hyvee sells ready to eat quinoa.

Quinoa is sometimes called a super food. It has been known to reduce migraine headaches.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    I have it on occasion in salads or pilafs.
  • rakowskidp
    rakowskidp Posts: 231 Member
    I eat 1 cup of quinoa every day as part of my lunch.

Trader Joes sells frozen quinoa that you can heat up. Hyvee sells ready to eat quinoa.

Quinoa is sometimes called a super food. It has been known to reduce migraine headaches.
    I wish that were true. I eat a fair amount of quinoa and still have migraines.

• Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    @jemhh
    That recipe looks very good for the summer to go with chicken breast or a pork chop. I shall try it, and thank you for posting.
    I need to add that I can't eat quinoa too often because I have diverticulosis and those little seeds can inflame my guts. I really don't like pain :'(
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Everything I might have has been said by others. It's a fine grain. You can get white, red and black quinoa. Three cheers for variety!
  • cbl40
    cbl40 Posts: 281 Member
    It's good but very caloric for a small amount. I'd rather brown rice or sweet potatoes.
  • mjpree
    mjpree Posts: 11 Member
    Although quinoa (pronounced keen-wah) is often referred to as a grain, it is NOT a grain, but actually a SEED, and a member of the swiss chard family. I am allergic to many foods and eat it almost every day, usually for breakfast. I like the RED quinoa (Ancient Harvest) the best; 1/3 cup (dry) cooked (boiled) on the stovetop for about 15 minutes. I add Kerrygold (grass fed) butter, Himalayan salt, and cinnamon. If you cook it longer, it can get a little mushy and your body will process the carbs faster, meaning a quicker/higher blood sugar response, than if you undercook it and have it a little more "seedy" than mushy. I also use the red quinoa (just plain) as a rice substitute whenever needed.

I will sometimes have quinoa FLAKES (white), which cooks up more like a hot cereal similar to oatmeal, for breakfast. When using the flakes, I prepare it with a tablespoon of coconut oil, some coconut flakes, and chopped macadamia nuts. It is really good this way, but the flakes are more expensive.

I have found the price of quinoa varies greatly; the best price for red quinoa is about $4 at Walmart, and the flakes tend to be ridiculously priced at about $7+ a box at Publix when I can find it. Ancient Harvest brand of quinoa does not have to be rinsed as someone stated above because the saponins have already been removed; saponins are NOT good for your gut, so be sure to rinse, if the directions suggest it. Quinoa is an excellent source of fiber!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Tried many years back. A few times. I still don't like it.