Anyone seen a drop in BP with weight loss and exercise?

Options
I have my blood pressure taken today and it was 154/82. That top number scared me to death. I don't want to get on any medications until I absolutely have to. I've gained about 20 pounds in three months. I've had a lack of Desire and lack of motivation. I think today and my blood pressure number has scared me into being motivated. Can I assume that if I lose 20 pounds or so that my blood pressure will drop back down to the normal numbers where they were while I was racing? Thank you for your time

Replies

• jroy1999
    jroy1999 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I can't say it works for everyone, but I have seen my BP numbers go down about 10-20 points depending on the day. So far I have lost 14lbs-- about 10 more to go until I'm not overweight. Good luck!
  • Brocksterdanza
    Brocksterdanza Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I think the implementation of 5 days of running or exercise along with diet check will naturally bring those numbers down...
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    It can absolutely help! I've seen a roughly 15 pt drop in both systolic and diastolic, from 145/100 to 130/85 ish. I've only lost 8 pounds BUT I added light exercise and am eating better in general.

Edited to add, you should still speak to your doctor of course! Was this an isolated reading (sounds like or was) or have you had multiple readings in this range? Multiple things can cause an isolated high reading. You really should monitor regularly and see how it's averaging.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Weight loss in general can improve blood pressure. Cardio exercise to improve cardiovascular health can have a big impact. Reduction of dietary sodium also can make a difference.

^these are all modifiable risk factors.

This info sheet may be useful:

https://www.heartfoundation.org.au/images/uploads/publications/Heart_Foundation_High_blood_pressure_WEB-2016.PDF

Keep in mind a one of reading does not necessarily reflect your 'normal' blood pressure.

• thielke2015
    thielke2015 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    It absolutely is reflected in weight loss. The diastolic is important too.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Mine was running 139/85 prior to starting to lose weight. Losing 15# brought it down to 120/70. I've never had to watch my salt intake in terms of bp but I do find that it is making a difference right now. I'm 47 and still have a lot to lose so I'm assuming I will be less sensitive to salt/bp fluctuations as I continue to lose. I lift weights 2-4 days a week and do an hour of cardio on those days as well. I'm eating high fat, moderate carb, moderate protein.
  • Brocksterdanza
    Options
    Mine is stress related as well. Which exercise will help with huge... it has just went up recently since i started this other add on to my job. It ends in may... my dr report said prehypertensive... that scared me and pissed me off...
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I had a high reading at a checkup. Thankfully it was an anomaly because I went for a BP check every other day for a week to make sure.

The nurse told me the best thing is to quit smoking if you smoke. Next cut back on alcohol, caffeine, and reduce sodium. Exercise regularly and reduce stress.

I think exercising your heart regularly probably helps a great deal. The stronger your heart the less work it is to pump all that blood throughout your body.
  • Brocksterdanza
    Options
    Don't drink or smoke... but i recently started drinking diet soda again... like 4 or so a day... and had not been drinking water at all. I had quit for 2 years
  • maeld56
    maeld56 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking and lost 35lbs and have been able to reduce my BP meds by half.
    I feel sure that if I exercised more I could lower it some more but I don't know if I'll ever be completely rid of Hypertension.
    I've heard that some people lose weight and everything goes to normal.
  • Brocksterdanza
    Options
    I'm hoping to not have to go on meds... im word like that.
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    yes. significant drop. from about to be medicated to perfect. that was at 20 pounds down. lost 40 more since and obviously even better
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    My blood pressure was never high--always either normal or slightly below normal--but it's lower now that I've lost weight and exercise regularly. 110/78 during my last exam.
  • GailLee4
    GailLee4 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    My BP was climbing, and since I've taken off 60+ pounds, it's a little on the low side. Diet and exercise work wonders.
  • twinkle2356
    twinkle2356 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    your b/p should drop with exercise and cutting out fat content and sugars. I do absolutely no soda. My b/p was 140/80ish. I changed my fat contents cut my portions and cut my sugar to around 30-35 grams a day and my b/p at this point in time is 115ish/60ish. hope this helps. but you have to change what you eat.
  • twinkle2356
    twinkle2356 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    And of course stop smoking. my cholesterol and triglycerides and A1C were sky high. Life style change has to happen. of course exercise to change metabolism and strengthen your heart. I do feel much better and act better. getting more done.
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Min was high, when I started my journey. Then it went up....even though I had lost over 100 pounds.

I am still on meds. I do think that mine is stress related.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    With some exercise and some weight loss I would think you would see a lot of improvement. I was 140-145/80 and went down to 120/70.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Add a little exercise with your weight loss and it's reasonable to expect you'd see improvement. What did the doc say about that?
  • jacobsl221
    jacobsl221 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I was in the 150/130 range before I lost 20 lbs. Last reading was 117/75. The weight loss really makes a difference. I have also cut back on salt at the table.