Hoping for help figuring burn during walk with 30 lb on my back.

Options
Just got back from a "hike" that was 3.3 miles on level dirt road terrain. It took us about 2-2.5 hours (35-45 min/mile) or so to complete, and I had my 30-35 lb preschooler on my back. Any tips on where to look for a more accurate calculation than on here? I'm getting huge discrepancies... MFP says 738 or something for a walk with 15 lb load, some sites say 550 cal., others say 1500 cal., depending on if I say walk vs hike, and if there's an option for a heavier load. Or is my best bet to just add 30 lb to my inputed weight and log it as a slow walk?

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    When I used to walk carrying my kids I would just log it as the hike or walk with no weight. I figured the extra burn was a bonus. I was usually carrying two, so it was 70+ pounds, but the effort didn't feel like that much more.
  • mistyladidah
    mistyladidah Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Ok. Maybe I'll stick with what I have then. The only reason I'm a tad concerned (not the right word but I'm braindead right now) is that I've been 100 calories or more under most of the last couple weeks. I don't want to inadvertently only eat 900 net calories. I won't stress about it and just eat if I'm hungry. Thank you!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    It's about 10 calories per mile in addition to what you would burn anyway, so about an extra 30-40 cals
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    approx Calories = (your mass + 30 lb kid) * miles * 0.4
  • mistyladidah
    Options
    How would I determine my mass?
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    How would I determine my mass?

Weigh yourself.

Cals per mile is 0.3*wt in lbs
  • mistyladidah
    Options
    But weight and mass are different. So do you mean weight? If so, when I use the formula above it gives the lowest estimate yet, around 350 cal.
  • azazel833
    azazel833 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    But weight and mass are different. So do you mean weight? If so, when I use the formula above it gives the lowest estimate yet, around 350 cal.

thats the right estimation
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options

No, mass. Weight is the amount of force you apply to the earths surface. Of your mass was 100 kg, you would weigh 981 Newtons. 100 kg accelerating at 9.81 m/s.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options

Weight and mass are different, but in the context that we're talking about what you can directly measure is your weight.

And personally at 160lbs I burn c50 calories per mile walking and c 100 per mile running.