I just need some support

Options
I have been dieting and exercising for 19 days I have lost 5 lbs but I still get very discourage when I look in the mirror.

Replies

• MariannePhoto
    MariannePhoto Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    You can do it. That's a great loss for 19 days! One day at a time just keep going. :)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    So don't look in the mirror!

I'd suggest getting someone to take progress photos for you every month,in your underwear/bikini. You won't likely see your body changing if you look at yourself every day, but comparing progress over a month can be hugely motivating.
  • pztodd
    pztodd Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    It may take a little while to see the results in the mirror but believe me you will see it. Just don't give up.
    Imagine it like a car journey of like 50 miles. You know that you're not going to get there in 5 minutes but it might take you say 50 minutes. So along the way you don't worry about not getting there. You just keep driving 'cause you know that you're heading in the right direction. It's the same with weight loss. It's not gonna happen in like 5, 10 days or whatever but it's all helping to get you to your destination :) Hope that makes sense.

You got this :)
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Get a tape measure and get measurements now. You'll be glad you did!
  • elopez1998
    elopez1998 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Stop looking in the mirror!!! Yes, use a tape measure and also you'll feel the difference in your clothes. Keep up the good work.
  • Minnman
    Minnman Posts: 16 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Give it time, if you follow the calorie counter and eat healthy the pounds will disappear. I'm supposed to eat 1500 a day but I have allowed myself 1200 a day or alittle over and I am having great results. My gal is supposed to have 1200 calories a day but keeps hers at 1000 a day and shes losing weight as well. Even if your under the 1000 for women to post or 1200 for men to post don't worry about posting if you feel full and satified for that day even though you might be under because the weight will come off that much faster. Again give it time I started 50 something days ago and lost 12lbs so far and we both are happy in the direction our weight is going :smile:
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    minnman46 wrote: »
    Give it time, if you follow the calorie counter and eat healthy the pounds will disappear. I'm supposed to eat 1500 a day but I have allowed myself 1200 a day or alittle over and I am having great results. My gal is supposed to have 1200 calories a day but keeps hers at 1000 a day and shes losing weight as well. Even if your under the 1000 for women to post or 1200 for men to post don't worry about posting if you feel full and satified for that day even though you might be under because the weight will come off that much faster. Again give it time I started 50 something days ago and lost 12lbs so far and we both are happy in the direction our weight is going :smile:

Losing weight quickly isn't a good idea. Restricting calories to 1000 for women and 1200 for men isn't a good idea. You might like seeing the weight drop quickly, but you're likely to be nutrient deficient, and losing muscle mass, along with experiencing other health issues.
  • Minnman
    Options

Losing weight quickly isn't a good idea. Restricting calories to 1000 for women and 1200 for men isn't a good idea. You might like seeing the weight drop quickly, but you're likely to be nutrient deficient, and losing muscle mass, along with experiencing other health issues.

Well my gal says her calories per day is 1200 and she keeps it at 1000 only a 200 calorie difference and mine says 1500 and I keep it at 1200 or 1300 cause your right in everything you say thats why I keep it close to the amount per day and not under 1200 or 1300.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    edited March 2017
    Options

Well my gal says her calories per day is 1200 and she keeps it at 1000 only a 200 calorie difference and mine says 1500 and I keep it at 1200 or 1300 cause your right in everything you say thats why I keep it close to the amount per day and not under 1200 or 1300.

You're supposed to eat the calories mfp gives you, not under. It is calculated to have a deficit, you don't need to create your own. Exercise cals can be added on top.

The minimums of 1200 (women) and 1500 (men) are likely unnecessarily low anyway. Losing on as many calories as possible is the best way to go, not as little as possible.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

Who cares if it comes off fast if you can't keep it off permanently because it's not a sustainable long-term solution? Tons of people do crash diets all the time, lose a bunch of weight fast, and then end up regaining later because they never learned how to lose and maintain at a healthy rate. Then they do the whole thing again, yo-yo dieting for years, getting more and more frustrated.

I guess if you can get to goal without burning out and/or sacrificing all your lean muscle, and you think you can figure out how to maintain after that, then I guess this could work out for you. Most people don't do well with this strategy, though. Good luck! :)
  • Minnman
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »

Who cares if it comes off fast if you can't keep it off permanently because it's not a sustainable long-term solution? Tons of people do crash diets all the time, lose a bunch of weight fast, and then end up regaining later because they never learned how to lose and maintain at a healthy rate. Then they do the whole thing again, yo-yo dieting for years, getting more and more frustrated.

I guess if you can get to goal without burning out and/or sacrificing all your lean muscle, and you think you can figure out how to maintain after that, then I guess this could work out for you. Most people don't do well with this strategy, though. Good luck! :)

I understand. We're trying to keep it at a 1lb or 2lb a week and we've changed how we grocery shop, eat & prepare foods. But your right in learning how to keep it off. Right now we are learning to keep it off as we take this journey. Right now we're trying to get to a healthier Weight and thats happening. Some days slower than others but thats ok because we don't want to hurt ourselves. Some days we go over 1000 for her and 1200 for me by a couple hundred but stay undet the allowed calorie per day. But thank you.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options

I understand. We're trying to keep it at a 1lb or 2lb a week and we've changed how we grocery shop, eat & prepare foods. But your right in learning how to keep it off. Right now we are learning to keep it off as we take this journey. Right now we're trying to get to a healthier Weight and thats happening. Some days slower than others but thats ok because we don't want to hurt ourselves. Some days we go over 1000 for her and 1200 for me by a couple hundred but stay undet the allowed calorie per day. But thank you.

you are supposed to eat the calories mfp gives you, not less. being healthy requires sufficient nutrition - macro and micro nutrients. You are unlikely getting enough due to constantly restricting calories under the recommended amounts.
  • Minnman
    Options

you are supposed to eat the calories mfp gives you, not less. being healthy requires sufficient nutrition - macro and micro nutrients. You are unlikely getting enough due to constantly restricting calories under the recommended amounts.

Ok thank you
  • Hellylu000
    Hellylu000 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. Sometime you just know your body. I'm recommended 1200 but I know im just fine at 1000 or even undèr. It depends on your exercise level too. I don't think it's so cookie cutter so do what works for you.. I had o say cookie cutter! Now I want a cookie. Lol
    Good luck everyone
  • Minnman
    Options
    hellylu971 wrote: »
    Everyone is different. Sometime you just know your body. I'm recommended 1200 but I know im just fine at 1000 or even undèr. It depends on your exercise level too. I don't think it's so cookie cutter so do what works for you.. I had o say cookie cutter! Now I want a cookie. Lol
    Good luck everyone

I hear ya I'm recommended 1500 but 1200 or alittle more works just fine for me. And my gal same as you and shes happy with 1000 or alittle over. And a cookie does sound good right about now lol. Good luck as well. :wink:
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    Good luck everyone

How are you determining you're "just fine" on 1000cals?
  • Minnman
    Options
    Good luck everyone

Think about it like this, my gal keeps it at a 1000 or alittle over. If you split that up into 3 meals throughout the day at 300 calories a meal and 100 calories in drinks. That works for her she eats her 3 meals a day and keeps it at 300 or alittle over per meal. We have looked up recipes that are 300 or more calories and recipes we put together with vegetables, chicken etc. We are "just fine" as well yes there may be some days where we get close to the amount of calories recommended if that helps any but we are doing what works for us. In 60 days I've lost 12lbs and her 13lbs I don't see how thats a bad thing. You make it sound like we're losing 20lbs in 2 weeks or something. Thank you for your input but we are gonna do what works for us, and you do the same :neutral:
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    Good luck everyone

Think about it like this, my gal keeps it at a 1000 or alittle over. If you split that up into 3 meals throughout the day at 300 calories a meal and 100 calories in drinks. That works for her she eats her 3 meals a day and keeps it at 300 or alittle over per meal. We have looked up recipes that are 300 or more calories and recipes we put together with vegetables, chicken etc. We are "just fine" as well yes there may be some days where we get close to the amount of calories recommended if that helps any but we are doing what works for us. In 60 days I've lost 12lbs and her 13lbs I don't see how thats a bad thing. You make it sound like we're losing 20lbs in 2 weeks or something. Thank you for your input but we are gonna do what works for us, and you do the same :neutral:

But you have absolutely no idea how eating that little is affecting your health. How much muscle have you lost? How are your hormone levels? Are you absorbing sufficient nutrients? How is your metabolism? You might feel fine now, but what about in a month, or 3,or 6 if you keep continuing like this?
  • Minnman
    Options
    Good luck everyone

But you have absolutely no idea how eating that little is affecting your health. How much muscle have you lost? How are your hormone levels? Are you absorbing sufficient nutrients? How is your metabolism? You might feel fine now, but what about in a month, or 3,or 6 if you keep continuing like this?

I don't know what My hormone levels are, I'm a guy. I look at my nutrients to see if there where it says I need, not sure of my metabolism. In the last two months I felt fine, we both feel fine. In 3 or 4 or 5 etc months and I don't feel fine for some reason I'll definitely keep what ya said in mind. My MFP recommends 1500 calories a day. Yea I stay 2 or 300 under and equal my calories between breakfast, lunch, dinner, drinks, snacks. Again if something changes for the worst I'll keep what you said in mind for sure. :wink: