RIP Chuck Berry

Options
EZDUZIT68
EZDUZIT68 Posts: 1,168 Member
zdixk0h3as9n.jpg

A Rock Icon who's influence changed the musical landscape forever.

Replies

• EZDUZIT68
    Options
  • rdmitch
    rdmitch Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Very saddened by the news. Did a little musical tribute last night to him with a
    4 song medley of his hits. Audience not terribly receptive since it was a country crowd, but
    w e didn't care...it needed to be done.
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Always felt conflicted about Berry. Incredible musician,his influence on music is just incalculable. But he was such a pig to women (and children). Sorry for speaking ill of the dead, but I guess that's part of his legacy too.
  • EZDUZIT68
    Options
    Sara1791 wrote: »
    Always felt conflicted about Berry. Incredible musician,his influence on music is just incalculable. But he was such a pig to women (and children). Sorry for speaking ill of the dead, but I guess that's part of his legacy too.

Completely understandable - funny thing is that my initial reaction was feeling sad about the loss, but reflecting on his treatment of people in general I started feeling conflicted as well. Some would say you should separate the artist & their work from the person & their behavior - I've never been able to do that, myself. So your feelings about him are definitely thought provoking...
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    EZDUZIT68 wrote: »

Completely understandable - funny thing is that my initial reaction was feeling sad about the loss, but reflecting on his treatment of people in general I started feeling conflicted as well. Some would say you should separate the artist & their work from the person & their behavior - I've never been able to do that, myself. So your feelings about him are definitely thought provoking...

Thanks for understanding.

I think if art stands the test of time, it eventually becomes possible to separate the art from the artist to a degree. So if Berry's music is still around in a couple hundred years, and if a line can still be traced from his work to the music of that time, then I guess most people will be able to draw a distinction between the person and the music.
  • LittleLionHeart1
    LittleLionHeart1 Posts: 3,655 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »

There are some horror stories about Led Zeppelin's band members, some of the stories being pretty infamous. About Jimmy Page in particular, but the others as well.

I still love their music and listen to it. As I get older I even appreciate it more. But if someone gave me a backstage pass to party with them, I'd say no thanks. Also if I were stranded at the side of the road at midnight with a flat tire in the middle of nowhere and their tour bus stopped and they said to hop aboard and they'd drop me off at my destination I'd say, Oh no. I'm all set. Really. Run along now. Don't worry about me. Thanks so much.

Other than that I still give them a listen.

Then I will take the backstage pass, and the ride on the tour bus. And you can have my Light Brite, if they kill me. :D
  • LittleLionHeart1
    LittleLionHeart1 Posts: 3,655 Member
    Options
    HyeKarma wrote: »

There are some horror stories about Led Zeppelin's band members, some of the stories being pretty infamous. About Jimmy Page in particular, but the others as well.

I still love their music and listen to it. As I get older I even appreciate it more. But if someone gave me a backstage pass to party with them, I'd say no thanks. Also if I were stranded at the side of the road at midnight with a flat tire in the middle of nowhere and their tour bus stopped and they said to hop aboard and they'd drop me off at my destination I'd say, Oh no. I'm all set. Really. Run along now. Don't worry about me. Thanks so much.

Other than that I still give them a listen.

Then I will take the backstage pass, and the ride on the tour bus. And you can have my Light Brite, if they kill me. :D

Totally bring the Lite Brite on the bus. You'll need the Lite Brite to create an electric mural that says "Help Me Led Zeppelin Is Defiling Me!" and you'll have to stick it out the window of the bus and wave it around.

:D ok