One cheat day per week

Options

Replies

• ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I always eat whatever I want. Just not too much of it.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis, NEAT, is the rate at which you burn energy to go about your daily life.
    If you stay in a calorie deficit of -500 kcal per day for 8 weeks, your NEAT will decline by about 10%. That needs to be understood as being below the level normally needed at the weight of that day. Of course you will lose weight in those weeks and of course your NEAT will decline because of that, but this 10% decline is above and beyond that due to lost weight. That means that after 8 weeks in a 1 lb/week calorie deficit, you don't lose 1 lb/week. You might lose .9 lb/week or less. To get that 500 calorie deficit and lose that 1 lb per week, you have further reduce your calorie intake to at least -550 kcal daily.

This sucks. The way to avoid that NEAT decline is to give it a rest. Spend a day or two at maintenance each month. This way, the NEAT is tricked into thinking that the famine was brief, and it goes back to burning at the rate of abundance. Don't think of it as cheating. This is NEAT maintenance.
  • MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Every week. It's just too easy on weekends. If you do alright though, you can still lose weight. For me, it stagnates a little, but I have yet to actually gain weight so a cheat day a week can't be that bad...
  • starryphoenix
    starryphoenix Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I've cut out cheating altogether unless it's a family birthday or holiday.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Careful with those cheat days. A full day of going hog wild can completely wipe out a whole week's deficit. Going over every once in awhile for a special occasion or whatever is no big deal. Making a frequent habit of it might be an issue, depending on how crazy you get with it.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Dano74 wrote: »
    Cheat days are a mental trick.

"I've been eating this cardboard for a week so it's time to have some fun!"

Why not have fun every day and keep it in your calories? But that's just me. Whatever works to healthily get you to your goal.

For realz. B)
  • Anna_137
    Anna_137 Posts: 167 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    If I can fit fast food and chocolate in my calorie goal (and I can), then I don't need a cheat day.
  • kwissten
    kwissten Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I always have a day when I don't use my fitness pal, and that usually involves a higher calorie meal that I wouldn't eat on a normal day. I just think it gives my mind a break and gives me motivation for the next week to stay on track.
  • Kali004
    Kali004 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    Elle is now divorced and sees her kids on weekends, after taking the "cheat day" to another level. :/

Really she is now divorced? How do you know?

Cheat days are ok as long as its a cheat meal not over do it. I think they are there to remind you how sluggish you feel right after that cheat day.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    "Cheating" implies things about food that I don't think are conducive to healthy eating, so no, I don't do "cheat days," but I do choose to eat at maintenance (or occasionally, on holidays, above maintenance).
  • marghi_le
    marghi_le Posts: 3 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Kali004 wrote: »
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    Elle is now divorced and sees her kids on weekends, after taking the "cheat day" to another level. :/

Really she is now divorced? How do you know?

She is not divorced, she says it here youtube.com/watch?v=QiobO7mkgPw
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    This is one of the things I stopped doing when I started being successful.

That said, it depends on your definition of "cheat". In the OP you stated to "eat whatever you want for a day" which usually equates to eat way more than you should one day a week and erase all your hard work from the last 6 days, and no progress.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    necro lol- i remember this thread XD
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Cheating includes lying, sneaking and stabbing in the back. I would never do that to myself. An intentionally undisciplined day however, is another story.
  • rdd8407
    rdd8407 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    First, remember that different things work for different people. Elle's program follows eating by MACROS, and eating this way is very specific, and can be restrictive, meaning you need to stay within certain parameters. The Cheat Day is simply that you do not have to follow those specifications for a day. She doesnt mean to go nuts and stuff yourself silly, simply that if you feel like having a hamburger or a cookie, then eat one and dont feel bad about it. Also, in her program she eats 8 times a day, cutting small amount of calories from each meal at a different rate. Due to this, her calories for the 6 days are lower each week, so the calories you intake on the 'cheat' day are not likely to hinder your total intake. And, you have heard of the plateau effect? When you do the same thing over and over, day after day, week after week, you burn out. Our body can do the same thing. Remember that her goal was to be in a body competition in 9 months, so plateauing is Very discouraging. Having a 'cheat' day helps keep your body from getting too used to the same thing over and over. Its kind of like working all week and then having a great Saturday to go places and do things.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Double zombie!

pp4xw66bj0di.gif
  • thescouselander77
    thescouselander77 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm quite new at this but I simply can't hit my deficit goals continuously. So, in the week I stick to my target calories but at the weekend I'll eat at maintenance which is working ok so far.
  • CardinalComb
    CardinalComb Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I cheat every friday, usually pizza. Without cheat days I’d likey give up my new healthy eating lifestyle.