new to fitness pal looking for weight loss friends

Options
my name is deborah and i have just started to seriously start losing weight.....i am 325lbs, 5'2 inches tall.....and i am diabetic....doctor wants to lose weight for health reasons....guess just looking for motivation and someone to talk to about this new chapter in my life....someone who would understand how hard it is to do anyway.....i know i have been doing this diet for about 8 days now and i am sick to death of fruit and salad....i hate fruit and salad and i miss my bread and pasta and potatoes....lol...really bad right now....hope it gets better and easier like everyone says it will......

Replies

• br0seidon
    br0seidon Posts: 19
    Options
    It does get easier as time goes on. Don't limit yourself to strictly veggies and fruits though - whole grains and low-fat protein are great for you.
  • Apryl546
    Apryl546 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    It's best to not completely throw things out of your life.
    Take things in moderation!
    Craving pasta? Just cut down your portion!
    It's what I do and I've already lost 6 pounds.

I crave ice cream a lot because it's always in the house. So once every week I only allow myself 1 serving, not a full bowl like I usually would have.
  • nelber23
    nelber23 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP you're going to love this website. I could always use more friends :flowerforyou: We have a similar body type and I could also use the support :)
  • ingee
    ingee Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi Deborah

The great thing about my fitness pal is you can still eat the things you love. Everything should be enjoyed in moderation. However, moderation is the word that a lot of people struggle with! The thing that I find best is to give yourself a reward day, that is one day a week where you can have a treat. Out of curiosity how many calories does your fitness pal say that you should be eating?
    What I find works best for me is putting a menu together, or if your not that organised getting up each day and putting in the things that you want to eat that day! Planning helps avoid the spontaneous eating too!
    If you put into MFP each morning the things that you want to eat then you can see how much each thing is worth and this makes sure that you dont go over, and you can enjoy the things you love.
    A really huge part of weight loss is WATER. Get a bottle and whenever you are hungry have a glass full and then see if you are still hungry 15 mins later. Hungry is ALWAYS confused with thirst!
    Try not to have carbs so your potatoes, bread etc at night time, try to have them during the day and then get out for a walk no matter how slow or short everything is better than nothing, and you will burn off the carbs! I know this is a lot of info but its all the cheats way of kick starting your body and helps so much!

The one major change that I have made to my diet and it will help your diabetes is eating porridge for breakfast a massive bowl with half a banana. It keeps me going all day! Cereals and toast are fast releasing food and so you feel hungry very soon after eating them. Perhaps porridge may help you?

I hope you can stick at this cause it takes 3 weeks for your body to get into a habit, and your not far away! Keep up the hard work Debroah and remember why you are doing this and what your motivation is! You can do it and it will get easier just be really strong and tough with yourself! KEEPING GOING!

Let me know if I can help in anyway! I am an occupational therapist and so have a very good idea about food and chronic conditions such as diabetes, and I live with Rheumatoid arthritis!

Cheers

Ingrid :)
  • Emily4H
    Emily4H Posts: 170
    Options
    welcome and you have come to the right place - we are all here for you and will support you! MFP is great and its a tool that if you use it often should be very helpful. Good luck with your journey - add me as a friend if you would like to. :flowerforyou:
  • tabbalayne
    tabbalayne Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It will get easier. You're just in detox right now. Add me as a friend...we'll go through this together!
  • errbellyq51
    Options
    Hi! My name is Eric. I had a quadruple bypass a few years ago and was also a diabetic at 389 pounds. Since I began losing weight, I have gotten completely OFF of my Lantis injections and have cut my cardiac meds in half. Keep the faith and keep up with the whole grains (they're in pastas, too :D) and if you're really craving that bad stuff, it's better to indulge a little bit here and there than to deprive yourself entirely. And, don't forget LOTS of water! Good luck and welcome! :drinker:
  • tabbalayne
    tabbalayne Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It will get easier. You're just in detox right now. Add me as a friend...we'll go through this together!