Anyone seen a drop in BP with weight loss and exercise?

Options
2»

Replies

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Did you ask your doc about it when you got the reading? What was their advice?

Losing weight should help. Make sure you're also hydrated enough, being even a little dehyadratwd makes your heart work harder, increasing bp and heart rate.

Consider looking at your sodium levels. Sodium does increase bp in some people. Dropping down to 1500 mg a day or less may help. You can track sodium here on MFP. But you do need some sodium, not none.

Also, potassium. It's an important electrolyte to help balance sodium and most folks don't get near enough. You can also track that in the nutrients here.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    Dramatic. At age 59-61, dropped from pre-hypertensive 140/80 and up (sometime very up) to one-teens over seventy-some. No changes other than the weight loss (I was already very active). Weight 183 ==> 120s. Similar improvements in blood lipids - see my MFP profile for detail numbers.

You can improve this. And there are other - including more subjective - improvements you'll see in the mix. Do it. You can. You can.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    My doctor took my stats in September. At the time, my BP was 130/90. Last week, my weight was down 43 lbs and my BP was 125/85. Still not as good as it could be, but my starting weight was 124 above goal, so that's not as good as it could be either.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    It definitely helped me. I got off both BP meds for over a year. We moved to 7500' and I have had to go back on one. This thread makes me feel like ten less pounds and more cardio is in order.
    Good luck.
  • U2R2
    U2R2 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    October 2016 Averages: Weight - 254.5 BP - 134/90 Pulse - 64
    March 2017 Averages: Weight 188.5 BP - 105/71 Pulse - 55

Stats taken first thing in the morning. BP recorded from a three reading average. Just recently reduced BP meds from two to one ten mg dose of Enalapril. Hoping to cut out the meds entirely by my next checkup in six months.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Yes, my blood pressure became almost low even before my weight loss reached the healthy BMI.

Prior to me losing weight, it was just high enough for a doctor to write the lowest prescription dose of lisinopril. Your blood pressure is higher and I have no way of knowing what will result from your weight loss.
  • jen_092
    jen_092 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    October 2016 - 20 lbs overweight according to BMI scale - Blood pressure 140/90 (taken 4 times in 2 days by my doctor, not a fluke)

March 2017 - top end of BMI healthy weight & exercising 3x week - Blood pressure 112/78
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    My husband has! He has CAD and hypertension. In recent months he's lost 27 lbs and is working out hard 3-4x/wk and he's started having a lot of BP readings in the normal range without meds.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping to not have to go on meds... im word like that.

Even if it goes up and stays up some day, there are other ways besides meds of managing it. My husband would be on meds due to his if we were the med type but he manages to keep it nearly normal with other methods. So don't ever feel like your hemmed in to one option (meds).
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Of course see a doc but absolutely losing weight will help.

Other things to consider....STRESS, faulty machine, sleep, time of day you took can show some increase....

I'm was on BP meds, 2 a day, lost 25 lbs...down to one a day and it should be gone altogether shortly.

Get a $20-30 machine and keep track of it at the exact same times every day to show your doc to determine the best plan.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Quitting my hell job brought mine right back down to normal. B)
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Sodium reduction and mild meds (mainly for another issue, but also helpful for blood pressure) got it down for me, but it was starting to be a pattern.

If this was a first high reading it might be a fluke. If it has been gradually going up, what did your doctor say?
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    You need to find out why your weight spiked up so quickly. Depression? Thyroid fail? Steroid metabolism fail? Water retention due to kidney or heart issues?

An isolated high blood pressure can be "white coat hypertension", which you can look up. A high reading can also happen when they use the regular blood pressure cuff when they should be using the longer one for fat people. Your blood pressure will also be elevated if you are in pain.

IF you are just fat and IF they used the right cuff then yes, there is a good chance your blood pressure will improve if you lose weight. It may or may not return to normal; it may improve but you might still need blood pressure medication (which would suggest there is something going on in addition to you being overweight to raise it in the first place, such as cholesterol in the artery walls or whatever).

However if your blood pressure is up because some other medical problem is going on, it won't go down until you are diagnosed and treated for that problem.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention: I was pre-hypertensive in my mid 40s (I'm now 61). At about age 46, I became very active - regular vigorous exercise, 4-6 times weekly, including being a competitive athlete (rowing) to the extent of finishing in the medals (placing, not just participation medals!) in some races. But I easily out-ate my exercise, and stayed fat (obese BMI).

I had a pretty health diet throughout: I've been vegetarian since 1974, eat whole grains, mostly one-ingredient foods, cook at home, eat lots of fruits & veggies, etc.

Through all that, and through some efforts to eat things that would improve my BP specifically, I didn't see much change. When I lost the weight, my blood pressure became solidly low normal to normal, and has stayed there as I maintain weight.

Since, AFAIK, I lack the genetic background for HBP, your mileage may vary. But those were my results, n = 1.

• Yvonnegogi
    Yvonnegogi Posts: 16 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    At 260 my blood pressure was dangerously high with readings at 200/95. Was told I could have a stroke. Was taking 1000 milligrams for it for years, was a kick in the pants to lose the weight. Fast forward to being 109, with low blood pressure about 2 years ago. Both my parents died within 1.5 years and I gained some weight and started MFP 52 days ago at 143. With blood pressure 140/80. Have lost 10 pounds it has gone down to 130/70. Still not great, but an improvement, I am needing to lose 8 pounds as I think this is where my body is comfortable. As high blood pressure is in my genes, as is heart attacks, failure and stroke. I also walk at least a couple miles a day now and do some light hiit workouts.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Had HBP at 320#

Have HBP at 132#.

Follow DASH diet and eat lowish sodium (under 2300 mg per day). Walk 30k steps a day & exercise every other day. Still have HBP.

Weight loss doesn't cure/fix everything.
  • fitin50s2
    fitin50s2 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Yes... so much so, I no longer need any sort of meds. That being said I am now extremely mindful of my sodium intake in an effort to help keep it that way.