Fluctuating scale within minutes?

Options
2»

Replies

• audigal2008
    audigal2008 Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    Lots of scales have inaccuracies and inadequacies. If its battery operated the batteries could be getting low as well.
    Often times I will weigh myself 3 times in the course of a minute and take the average weight as my current weight. Cheap bathroom scales tend to fluctuate. Also make sure you are putting your big toes in the exact same spot every time so that each time you weigh yourself you are standing on the scale in the same position. Mark where your big toes go with some colored tape or something so that you maintain the same position on the scale each time you weigh.

THANKS for this tip about the tape. I'm going to pay attention to this-AND change the batteries.

I was convinced the stinkin' thing was demon possessed and was going to cast it out. The neighbor has some pigs nearby.
    [/quote

UMMM Thanks for the advice! I just had a huge battle with my brand new scale! I HATE weighing especially if the numbers are bouncing up and down 5 lbs in 2 mins! SO I took your advise and marked on my scale where to place my feet! THANKS SO MUCH! I just lost 5 lbs in 2 mins! lol
  • Artemis_100
    Options
    I have the same problem! It's driving me crazy! The scales can be as much as 8 pounds different from high to low with 5-6 consecutive weigh-ins! I could care less about what fraction of a pound I've gained or lost, but it would be nice to know if I was headed in the right general direction.

My scale gives me a digital indicator of when I'm standing in a balanced position, and the scale is on a flat linoleum floor.

Achhhhhhhhhhhh:grumble: :grumble: :grumble: :grumble:
  • Coalforchristmas
    Options
    All scales do this. In chemistry class, where we had really good scales, I could wave my hand across the top of the scale and the weight displayed would change.. When I get on my bathroom scale the weight can change within a few minutes around 1-2 pounds. Don't worry about it.
  • busbyus
    busbyus Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Omg thank goodness its not just out scales ! Was beginning to get severely p***d off! :) average n tape great ideas!
  • AvonBell
    AvonBell Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I don't know how folks can use inaccurate scales, it would drive me insane. This is the scale you want if you want consistent and accurate numbers:

http://www.amazon.com/Eatsmart-Precision-Bathroom-Technology-440-Pounds/dp/B0032TNPOE/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1394267067&sr=8-7&keywords=smart+scale

It's inexpensive too.
  • busbyus
    busbyus Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Avonbell need a uk version of these!
  • devonbiker
    devonbiker Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    We have digital scales and it's really bothered me how it fluctuates when repeating readings. I've often thought about buying other scales but when reading reviews, no matter what the scales there are always people saying the same thing. Inaccurate when repeating weigh ins.

I usually weigh in with same clothes on every morning and usually take the first reading unless I don't believe the reading. Then I repeat my weigh ins.. This morning I stood on my scales about 4x. Two days ago I was 225.8lbs. A new low for me. This morning it read 224.8lbs. I was surprised so I weighed again #2 225.8. #3 226.2lbs. #4 225.8. So what do I believe? This happens a lot if I repeat my weigh ins.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Which do you think is more likely?

a) you are rapidly gaining or losing weight minute to minute

b) your scales are inaccurate
  • SoyD986
    SoyD986 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    This morning I was about to throw my newish Aria out the window for this same exact reason! I stepped on 10x - yes 10 - because I've found lately that I've had to take 3 readings to get to 2 same readings and all 10 were different by +.5-+2lbs.

Now, I have a lot to lose, but seeing that kind of uptick (of any kind) is just heart breaking. Yes, it's a trend ... but darn you scale and Fitbit! My $20 WW scale was more reliable then this thing. Which I am now considering just buying and sticking with, convenience be damned if I have to do this crap every morning.

Don't even get me started with the body fat % ... I am literally more fat now then I was 25lbs ago. Ha!
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Mine always do this even doctors scales do it intake the lowest weight each week of 3 weighs
    Tbh it's only a number
  • kq1981
    kq1981 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Mine does this. I also weigh 3 kg lighter on my work scales. Damn things.
  • FitbitConnor
    FitbitConnor Posts: 143 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I think there needs to be a sticky about this because so many people experience the same problem and for some it is totally demoralising! I think we need to change the mindset of instant results that all the diet advertising companies have brainwashed us with and acquire a more realistic attitude towards a trend over time. Measure as much as you wish but DON'T take those results as a measure of success/failure until you have observed the trend over at LEAST a 14 day period but preferable 4-6 weeks, if you feel you aren't getting the results you expect by all means move a little more/eat a little less if possible but don't take anything to heart until you see what is happening over a longer period.

Two quick things to add positive results should also not be banked upon either, i've personally known people that have dropped 4-6lb in a week and believed it to be fat and get extremely motivated/happy, just to gain a few days later and get totally washed out by it. Also I know it can be a bit of a hassle but if you can get regular body measurements hips/waist/arms/thigh the collection of all this data will give you a much better overall picture of what is going on.

whatever you do though don't be hard on yourself and DON'T GIVE UP! just adjust and go at it again and you will get there! :smile:

I forgot to add that mine do this too and if i don't get them in exactly the right spot on the floor they can give hugely different numbers so now i've actually marked the spot where i put them each time lol a sticker or something is all you need, nothing to damage or permanently mark it. your weight doesn't really need to be 100% accurate just so long as the measurement is consistent.