If everyday were like today .....

Options
Hi everyone! Can anyone tell me if the 'If everyday were like today you would weigh .... in 5 weeks' is actually true. Has this every happened to anyone?

Replies

• MariannePhoto
    MariannePhoto Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    It's just a calculation based on your BMR + exercise and calories. :smile: mine was about that for the last five weeks. I screen cap them.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not that linear and the closer we get to reaching our goal to slower our weight loss will be.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    For a good laugh, look at the 5 week guy from 5 weeks ago. But first, remove sharp object from your vicinity.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    I couldn't say. I've never eaten the exact same thing for 35 days straight. That's the only way that could have a chance of being accurate. Every day is never like today...
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Actually with the predictions I get I'd be scared if they were true. One day it'll say I'll be 5 lbs heavier, next day 16 lbs lighter. That's pretty dramatic and to me worrisome to change that much that fast.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    The only way to know for sure is to mark the predicted weight in your calendar 5 weeks from today.

Unfortunately is has never been accurate for me, it's predictions are very optimistic.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It's just math based on your CICO for that day. It's totally up to whether it happens. If the numbers vary wildly from one day to the next, it means your CICO varies a lot. Maybe the Exercise cals skew it, because they can be inflated. I just used that statement as reminder if I'd stuck to my plan that day.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    It tells you if you literally ate this same amount of calories as today every single day and burned the same amount of calories as today every single day for 5 weeks, how much you would weight.
    It is accurate provided you do exactly this and you don't have weight fluctuations due to water retention.
    When people above say it doesn't work, what they mean is that they don't end up doing the required 'exactly the same' stuff. If they did it, would have worked (less the water retention).

• jen_092
    jen_092 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    It's just a calculation based on your BMR + exercise and calories. :smile: mine was about that for the last five weeks. I screen cap them.

Exactly. For the most part, I think MFP uses this as a motivational tool.
  • kq1981
    kq1981 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    If everyday were like today.... I'd be bored as hell with eating and binge. I don't even worry about that anymore
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    No, it pi.ss.es me off; I hate that d.amn thing. That's why I never "Complete" my diary.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    DianeOtto wrote: »
    Hi everyone! Can anyone tell me if the 'If everyday were like today you would weigh .... in 5 weeks' is actually true. Has this every happened to anyone?

I hardly ever have two days the same but I can see the pattern. I'm usually between 50 to 400 calories below my goal so it always says I'd weigh less. The prediction seems to vary between 5 and 10 lbs under my current weight.
  • jringold1
    jringold1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have looked at this but never paid it much attention. However, I had an idea after reading this thread. I am going to post each days prediction in Outlook Calendar 35 days from the prediction date. Then when I get there, I will see how accurate it is. I don't expect it to be spot on every day, but I am going to look for an average and see what it looks like.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    It's an extrapolation of today's CICO. If you ate and exercise Exactly like today in 5 weeks you might weigh this.

Is it accurate? Eat and exercise exactly the same for 35 days, report back.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    jelleigh wrote: »
    I put my forecasted totals into my food notes each day so I can go back and check . Im typically pretty close to my cal goal and find that 5 weeks later I'm right where they forecasted.

I do this as well. You can't just go back 5 weeks and look at the number, as MFP shows what your loss would be from today if you ate like on that day. So the number 5 weeks ago gets updated to todays weight instead of being the weight you were 5 weeks ago. Seems a bit silly to me, so I just record it in my notes.

5 weeks ago my note is 250.7. Now I'm a lb over that this morning, but was 250.5 Friday morning before I had a St Paddy's day mini-binge.

It all depends on if you eat at goal consistently. The day 5 weeks ago I was withing 100 cals of my goal. Last couple of days, not so close (way over Friday and MFP won't let me close yesterday as I was way under).