Why am I gaining weight on 1400 calories?

Options

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    7056991 wrote: »
    I've logged my food. - for a year.
    It has been an ongoing process.
    I always plan my meals ahead.

It's not impossible to grow 1.5 inches in the course of a couple weeks - for a growing girl like me. I'm not sure when females stop growing, my mom grew till she was 20.
    I've always had a women's shape. I'm not pre-pubescent.
    If you can't help, then don't. Easy.

You keep saying you are logging, but no mention of whether you are using a food scale or not?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Gain what exactly?

Yes, I know - you don't know exactly - merely a number on a scale. Water or fat, unknown (no, it's not muscle that fast, people wish...)

All kinds of reasons for the body to be gaining water weight, even seasonal.

And if your level of eating is extreme to the body, that stress can cause water weight gain too.

And everything said above about accuracy.

And really agree with it's not an issue in reality either, since growing up still.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
  • TARGET65K
    TARGET65K Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I'm tall and young. I'm about 5'10 and in my 120's.
    I gain weight eating 1400 calories. Why?

You need professional help
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    Provided you are weighing your food accurately and logging honestly you may need to add exercise.
  • CaptainHandsome
    CaptainHandsome Posts: 127 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Being that bone, muscle and organs all get bigger when you grow, gaining a few pounds after growing an inch and a half is normal, and a very low percentage of it is fat. If you want to lose the weight you gained from growing, as human beings tend to do, your only option is to chop your feet off. Both your height and weight will normalize very quickly.
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    see a dr
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,161 Member
    Options
    I've also gotten taller recently. 5'8.5" to 5'10" in a few weeks or so.
    Because of that, I need to eat frequently otherwise I get moody and dizzy. But, I gain weight when I eat. It's all healthy things, too.

If you just got taller that is why your weight went up. What did you think happened when people grow?
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »
    Theo166 wrote: »
    If you grew 1.5" in a few weeks, you probably aren't 18. People here are too old for growth spurts.

If you are 5'10" and weight ~120 then your BMI class is underweight.

What's the real story

Growth spurts for girls end by 15yrs old

We shouldn't be advising young teens on how to manage their weight.

This isn't true for everyone. Much of this is tied into onset of puberty. I was a very late "bloomer", and my final growth spurt was around 18 years old. That being said, there are red flags here that indicate this poster may not be 18 yet. And there are definite red flags that indicate a trip to the doctor is in order.

Are you sure your memory isn't playing tricks on you? Girls universally reach their adult height by 15yrs, though other body parts may fill out which feels like a growth spurt.

Even boys are done growing in height by 18

Childrens-Rate-of-Growth-By-Age-Chart.jpg
  • CaptainHandsome
    CaptainHandsome Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    She could have a tumor on her pituitary gland or some other underlying health issue causing her to grow taller after the "universal" standard.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »
    If you grew 1.5" in a few weeks, you probably aren't 18. People here are too old for growth spurts.

If you are 5'10" and weight ~120 then your BMI class is underweight.

What's the real story

Growth spurts for girls end by 15yrs old

We shouldn't be advising young teens on how to manage their weight.

This isn't true for everyone. Much of this is tied into onset of puberty. I was a very late "bloomer", and my final growth spurt was around 18 years old. That being said, there are red flags here that indicate this poster may not be 18 yet. And there are definite red flags that indicate a trip to the doctor is in order.

Are you sure your memory isn't playing tricks on you? Girls universally reach their adult height by 15yrs, though other body parts may fill out which feels like a growth spurt.

Even boys are done growing in height by 18

Childrens-Rate-of-Growth-By-Age-Chart.jpg

Well, some guys keep growing into their 20s: https://www.reference.com/science/age-stop-growing-height-bb2138746facf701#, but you're right for the rest of us.
This discussion has been closed.