Dumbbell workout help?

Options
So, I don't have access to a barbell, but I do have access to a full rack of dumbbells! My main problem is that I never know what a sufficient workout is? I usually just make stuff up as I go and I don't like the aimless feeling. I've been using 5 and 10 lb weights to do bicep curls, squats, tricep extensions, chest presses, and then some compound deltoid raises. I do 1 set of 12 of each exercise, then 10, then 8.

I'm looking for something... better. I would especially love it if someone could point me towards a dumbbell workout that would strengthen my core because I can feel myself ignoring that. My lower back needs love :(

Thank you in advance,
weightNoob

Replies

• LeoT0917
    LeoT0917 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    You may want to take a look at P90X workouts. You can pull up the workout sheets for free at:
    https://www.beachbody.com/text/products/programs/p90x/P90X_Worksheets.pdf
    to give you an Idea of structured training approaches.

Hope this helps.

• yellingkimber
    yellingkimber Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I'm actually afraid that I'm not at the point where I could start P90x. I can't do push-ups properly or pull ups yet :#
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Not many things you can do with a barbell that you can't do with dumbells. Don't make it up, follow a program. Stronglifts 5x5 can be done with dumbells.

I like doing core work but doing compound lifts will do more for core stability than dedicated core work.

If your back hurts (I'm not sure that is what you're saying) it could be a form issue on your lifts. Might be time for a form check. Good luck!
  • yellingkimber
    yellingkimber Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    My back doesn't hurt during lifts, it just hurts generally but hurts less when I build up core strength. I'm a former equestrian and I've been through physical therapy a few times for back injuries. Nothing getting stronger can't fix.

I hadn't considered doing Stronglifts with dumbbells, so thank you for that! I'll look into it now.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Here is an awesome running list of different programs you can look into. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

I use all dbs for my lifting program which was put together for me by a trainer. I started with 5, 10 and 15 lb dbs but quickly graduated to higher weights, especially for things like squats, single arm rows, deadlifts and glute bridges. I am at the point where I might get some kind of small barbell that I can hide behind the couch for heavier lifts where I would like more stability, but dbs have kept me busy for over a year.
  • Nikitazilla
    Nikitazilla Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Another program out there is Maxworkouts by Shin Otake. Google it for more detailed information. I started last August, and have never been happier. I, too, was just kind of doing my own thing with my weights and wasting time trying to come up with a plan that worked everything that needed working. It was mentally exhausting. But when I found Maxworkouts, its all written down for me. I have the book version, so I look at the workout and just get to it. I hate workout videos, having to crane my neck to see what to do and gyms are inconvenient for me (family, work schedule, distance) so home gym is my love. The workouts are not too long, and they all compound exercises, so they work multiple body parts at once, including core. 3 days/week strenghth, 2 days HIIT cardio plus a recovery day and a rest day. I've been waiting for the chance to tell someone about it!
  • LeoT0917
    LeoT0917 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I'm actually afraid that I'm not at the point where I could start P90x. I can't do push-ups properly or pull ups yet :#

There are a lot of modifications that they show on the DVDs. When I started, I modified almost every move and also just started out doing 20 to 30 minutes of each workout. You may also want to check out P90, which is a little less intense. Like TH says, "just do your best and forget the rest."
  • yskaldir
    yskaldir Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Here's my db only routine:

Day 1
    Lunge, step up, goblet squat, romanian dead lift, calf raise, some ab exercises

Day 2
    bench, incline bench, side lateral, fly, skullcrusher

Day 3
    Deadlift, one arm row, shrug, bicep curl, hammer curl

Day 4
    Overhead press, side lateral, upright row, rear lateral, close grip bench

Day 5
    Go back to day 1
  • imgr8stmom
    imgr8stmom Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Try body pump! I subscribe to Les mills on-line. It has a ton of different workouts, but my favorite is body pump. It's a barbell workout (you can use dumbells too) its high reps of light weights class type. I personally do 30 minutes 4 days a week along with 10k steps and I can definitely see and feel the change in my body.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    You might check out:
    http://www.furman.edu/sites/first/Documents/16_oct2324.pdf
    They say it's for runners but should work for all/most.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You can try Chalean Extreme.

But yeah, you can do Stronglift 5x5 with dumbbells... I just found it impossible because you're supposed to increase your weights all the time, and most dumbbells only go up by 5 lbs, which is too much... so it's been pretty frustrating for me (also my dumbbells only go to 45 lbs).

I just do the basic moves - deadlift, squats, chest presses, rows, overhead press, 3 sets of 8 (so I can use heavier weights) and increase the weights when it gets too easy to do the third set (which can take months to be able to increase by 5 lbs - in the meantime I just do more repetitions).
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Here is an awesome running list of different programs you can look into. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

I use all dbs for my lifting program which was put together for me by a trainer. I started with 5, 10 and 15 lb dbs but quickly graduated to higher weights, especially for things like squats, single arm rows, deadlifts and glute bridges. I am at the point where I might get some kind of small barbell that I can hide behind the couch for heavier lifts where I would like more stability, but dbs have kept me busy for over a year.

I'd highly consider the programs in this list. There are several programs that use dumbbells and are focused around the core lifts.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    You can try Chalean Extreme.

But yeah, you can do Stronglift 5x5 with dumbbells... I just found it impossible because you're supposed to increase your weights all the time, and most dumbbells only go up by 5 lbs, which is too much... so it's been pretty frustrating for me (also my dumbbells only go to 45 lbs).

I just do the basic moves - deadlift, squats, chest presses, rows, overhead press, 3 sets of 8 (so I can use heavier weights) and increase the weights when it gets too easy to do the third set (which can take months to be able to increase by 5 lbs - in the meantime I just do more repetitions).

^^ I do this as well. (Stronglifts wasn't for me either for same reason)
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    In addition to the above list of programs, here are some ideas of modifying barbell-based programs to use dumbbells.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/902569/barbell-routines-when-you-only-have-dumbbells