99 Calorie Muffins!

Options
eating4balance
eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
I just posted a new muffin recipe (complete with pictures) on my blog (link listed below). Hope you enjoy them, and please comment on my blog. I need some feedback, thanks! BTW, the full nutrition facts are posted at the end.

http://peanut-butter-lover.blogspot.com/

GOING AGAINST THE GRAIN

You would think when temperatures max out at 105 degrees, that one would not want to add additional heat, but... not me!

Yes, you read that correctly. While others sipped chilled smoothies, eating crisp, cold salads and even placing ice cubes directly to their foreheads, I was baking in the kitchen. Rest assured though, it was all worth it in the end.

And what, you may ask, was I baking? Well, to go along with the theme of Going-Against-The-Grain, I made muffins with...

PUMPKINS AND APPLES

The recipe was originally from a Better Homes and Garden cookbook (affectionately known in my house as "The Red Checkered Cookbook"). I twisted it and made a healthy version of my own however, adding apples, replacing the oil, and a whole lot else that I won't even go into now...

Pumpkin Apple Muffins

Servings: 12 Muffins

Dry Ingredients:

3/4 cup dry oatmeal (I used quick oats)
1 cup flour (I used whole wheat pastry flour)
5 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
2 tsp baking powder

Wet Ingredients:

2 egg whites
6 Tbsp unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1/2 cup skim milk
1 apple, peeled and shredded or chopped

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and spray muffin tins with nonstick cooking spray.
2.Combine all dry ingredients except for the baking powder in a bowl. Remove 3 Tbsp of the dry mixture and put in a separate, small bowl. Then add the 2 tsp baking powder to the larger amount of dry ingredients.
3. Combine the egg whites, 4 Tbsp applesauce, pumpkin puree and milk in a bowl.
4. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir just until combined. Then add the shredded apple and mix.
5. In the small bowl with the separated flour mixture, cut in the 2 Tbsp of applesauce. (This will act like a low fat streusel topping).
6. Divide the batter between 12 muffin tins (I used 1/4 cup for each).
7. Top with the streusel topping and place in the oven. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until done.

Enjoy now, OR save this recipe until Thanksgiving when pumpkin and apple are SUPPOSED to be used in baking. Either way, this guilt free recipe is a must-have with awesome nutritional stats:

Nutrition Facts:
Calories- 99
Fat- 1g
Carbs- 21g
Fiber- 3g
Sugar- 8g ( Approximately 4.5 grams added sugar)
Protein- 3g
Sodium- 142mg

Replies

• sweetnic
    sweetnic Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    They look good! I'm always looking for low-cal snacks. Thanks for posting!
  • fabulousfebe
    fabulousfebe Posts: 204
    Options
    a muffin without guilt,,,LOL,,thanks for the post!!:drinker:
  • Ruthann2
    Ruthann2 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    :happy:
  • aminor61
    aminor61 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I did not know that oil could be replaced with unsweetned applesauce. Great tip!!! God Bless You!!!
  • CoCoMa
    CoCoMa Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    My mouth is watering. I'll give the recipe a try this weekend!! Not too hot in my neck of the woods!!
  • balowry1
    balowry1 Posts: 85
    Options
    Bump
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I did not know that oil could be replaced with unsweetned applesauce. Great tip!!! God Bless You!!!

Thanks...Applesauce has been a lifesaver in low fat baking. I hope it helps!
  • sweetdianachka
    sweetdianachka Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    checked out that blog entry and some of the other ones too, going to keep that bookmarked :)
  • kris0812
    kris0812 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • gemtwist
    gemtwist Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Wow, these look delicious! Thanks for sharing. I'll have to try them.