The Struggle is Real

Options
I've been a long time user of myfitnesspal, it's been the best place for me to get support and actually help me lose weight! When I originally joined this site in 2011 (on an old, I'm sure deleted account) I toppled in at 256 pounds and I was very proud to lose 140 of that.

Due to a series of long winded, unfortunate events over the last year, I gained 60 pounds. I haven't felt gung ho in my previous times of getting proactive, flawlessly counting those calories, checking in on my weight religiously, pushing myself further in my activity to succeed.

I married a wonderful man almost a year ago, he's incredibly active and always encouraging me to go out and do my best and learn new activities, but I've felt very self conscious, intimidated and anxious when I think about hopping on a longboard, or even going to the gym, or even leaving my house to go on a stroll. I'm afraid of judgment, I'm afraid to be looked at, I'm afraid to fail.

I want to be the best possible me and enjoy every moment that life hands me. I want to repair my health, I want to get fit and I want to enjoy being active and feeling good about myself.

I don't normally post, but any advice or thoughts or recommendations would be really great. I don't have much of a support system aside from my husband, but I think that's the biggest thing I need right now. =] Thanks.

Replies

• rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I say get and stay active and let the others waste their time judging if they must. It entirely possible that they are not even judging you at all. Focus on you and your husband and follow MFP to get weight off if you like. It is so much easier if have a partner to help you eat well and exercise. My wife doesn't exercise but she cooks some really good and healthy food, so good I don't even have to log anymore. Good luck!
  • Roosh513
    Roosh513 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    You've got this! With such fantastic weight loss results in the past, it's obvious that you already know what to do. It's just a matter of picking yourself back up and getting on track again. My advice is to take small steps and only start with things that you know you can stick with. If gyms or exercising outside is intimidating, maybe start with some home exercise programs first. If the thought of judgement causes anxiety, it's not possible for people to judge you in your own home!

If religiously counting calories sounds like too much right now, don't do it. You know, in general, what types of foods you need to kickstart weight loss. Just dig up some old recipe favorites and start cooking again. Worry about calorie counting and measuring food when you've remastered and rediscovered your old favorites and are comfortable with preparing meals again.

As you probably already know, once you start, it's like a snowball effect. As you start to feel better again, you'll regain your confidence and start doing things outside again.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Just put one foot in front of the other. It's all about the momentum. I think a lot of us (if not all of us) who have been significantly overweight understand what you're feeling. It's like you can't bring yourself to go to the gym until after you're already in shape. Sounds ridiculous, but I know that feeling! I know when I started for the millionth time I actually just ate less and did body weight exercises and casual walking until I had lost enough to feel comfortable exercising in public again.

Just... baby steps. It's the best way, and sort of the only way. Just gotta do it.
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Just put one foot in front of the other. It's all about the momentum.
    This is exactly it. Beautifully said.

You can't worry about others, you gotta do you and just let them do them. Having said that, I understand where you're coming from. My fitness journey started as a 5'9", 235 lb guy stuffing himself into lycra and climbing on a bicycle. No matter how scary, take the first steps. Pretty soon it'll just be the new normal. Just get out there and understand that it's always hardest in the beginning. I look back now sometimes and get so pissed at myself for wasting so many years being out of shape, fat, miserable, tired, and feeling like crap. Don't waste another day. Get that journey started.

You got this!
  • Strangely7Chii
    Strangely7Chii Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so very much! I really appreciate that push and that encouragement! I don't want to let anyone down, especially myself! <3