tartar on dogs teeth

Options
kds10
kds10 Posts: 452 Member
So vet recommended that within six months my dog come in for dental cleaning, etc. for about 1200.00. Anybody have experience with this procedure? I don't like the general anasthetic part of it and am trying liquid tartar remover in his water as well as a few other little things. Anything else you can recommend or is it inevitable that he will need the procedure from the vet?
Thanks

Replies

• Speziface
    Speziface Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    If it's as bad as the vet is suggesting it probably needs to be done. You could always get a second opinion, though.

One of my dog's build up tartar like crazy; there was literally a coating of it around his back teeth. The other dogs, not so much, but they do need regular brushing.
  • tapwaters
    tapwaters Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Get a second opinion. I've had my (13 year old) lab's teeth cleaned once, no extractions, it was only $450, quoted by two vets. If yours was quoted that much it makes me think they believe there will be extractions.

Also tater removers in water don't work and night be dangerous. If he needs his teeth cleaned, the vet will need to physically remove the plaque build up.
  • jvcjim
    jvcjim Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    more bones to chew on. there is a sign on the gate "trespassers will be eaten" not a bit of tartar on the dog's teeth. :)
  • EZDUZIT68
    EZDUZIT68 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Try DentaStix - my dog just got back from the vet and he has practically zero tarter. He has one a day. And your vet is a crook for asking more than a couple hundred bucks for a dental cleaning.
    efmvifjpeepl.jpg
  • mellecita
    mellecita Posts: 6,189 Member
    Options
    I'd get a quote elsewhere. My dog had one done last month, and it was under $300.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    My vet urged me to get my dog's teeth cleaned for several years. Growing up on a farm, I just couldn't see spending that kind of money on an animal's teeth (and my vet only charged $150). Eventually, my poor little guy ended up with a mouthful of dental issues, and it ended up costing several hundred to correct everything. My guilt over the poor condition of his mouth was horrible! I recommend getting your dog's teeth cleaned, but I'd definitely check around for better prices.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    Wait.

$1200.00 to clean a dogs teeth?

I'll do it for $1150.00.

Safety Not Guaranteed.
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    We have both of our dogs done once every few years by our vet for $200 for both.