Lost weight but need help with tummy and arms

Options
Evening all, I've lost 58lb so far but still can't seem to lose it off my belly and upper arms area. I guess I need to tone it up somehow but don't really know how? I don't have access to a gym so I would need someone thing I can do at home. I understand you can't really spot reduce so do I just stick with dieting in the hope my arms and tummy will reduce? Ideally I would like to lose another 14lb. Currently 5'6" and weigh 147.6lb. Thank you.

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    If you are doing any resistance training you should start now. Since you don't have access to a gym you can start with bodyweight training. Check our You Are Your Own Gym. If you want to start looking at garage sales or Craigslist for weights (dumbbells, kettle bell). If you have space for a small gym area consider an Olympic Bar and power rack.
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    As a heads up, my belly was the last to actually lose.

Depending on how long it took you to lose the weight initially [since you said nearly 60lbs], some of what you perceive to be as stubborn fat could just be a bit of extra skin. I didn't notice until I went in for skin removal consultation, and they actually PULLED ON MY ARM to show me just... How much was loose. [note; didn't get it, too expensive, but they pointed out it wasn't just my stomach with extra actual skin]. If so, time should help with it, as would working on some muscles.

110lbs-ish down, myself. That feel.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    sazzle1983 wrote: »
    Evening all, I've lost 58lb so far but still can't seem to lose it off my belly and upper arms area. I guess I need to tone it up somehow but don't really know how? I don't have access to a gym so I would need someone thing I can do at home. I understand you can't really spot reduce so do I just stick with dieting in the hope my arms and tummy will reduce? Ideally I would like to lose another 14lb. Currently 5'6" and weigh 147.6lb. Thank you.

You will notice a big difference once you lose the rest of your weight.
  • TrekkieJenee
    TrekkieJenee Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    PixelPuff wrote: »
    As a heads up, my belly was the last to actually lose.

Depending on how long it took you to lose the weight initially [since you said nearly 60lbs], some of what you perceive to be as stubborn fat could just be a bit of extra skin. I didn't notice until I went in for skin removal consultation, and they actually PULLED ON MY ARM to show me just... How much was loose. [note; didn't get it, too expensive, but they pointed out it wasn't just my stomach with extra actual skin]. If so, time should help with it, as would working on some muscles.

110lbs-ish down, myself. That feel.

So, you did eventually lose the extra skin?
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I have a question for you. Did you take measurements with a tape measure around your stomach prior to starting to lose weight? For me, I lose weight in proportion, so when I lose weight my belly still looks bigger than I would like. Yet, if I measure it with a tape measure, I can tell that I have definitely lost inches off of my stomach.
    Keep working on the foods that you eat, and as a previous poster said, focus on resistance training. I have lost over 40 lbs and kept it off for 5 years and have never stepped foot in a gym. I run 3 or 4 days a week (started with Couch to 5 K) and do exercise videos at home one or two more days a week.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    Exercise will help condition the muscle underneath, but does nothing to reduce the actual layer of fat on top. As you lower your weight, body fat percentage will drop and you'll lean out more. Everyone is predisposed to losing fat last somewhere on their bodies and it will always tend to be the area they are most self conscious about.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    You have no choice but to keep losing more fat. As for home exercises, there are tons of body weight workouts on youtube.
  • Tattoos_and_Tea
    Tattoos_and_Tea Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Thanks all