Which diet do I choose?

Options
I want to loose about 70 lbs. I have failed over and over! Not sure which diet program I should use.
It seems that weight watchers has the best rating when I used google.
Help!!!!!!

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Forget the word diet. Make it a lifestyle change if you truly want to lose. Since you have 70 pounds to lose aim for a goal of 1-2 pounds a week creating a calorie deficit you can stick to. Weigh your food with a digital scale. Log everything you consume. Have patience.
  • jackieTR46
    jackieTR46 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Set small goals first as 70 pounds sounds so daunting - start with trying to lose 10 pounds. Logging everything is important it makes you more aware if what you are eating and it helps you eat the right things.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit
  • GaveYouPower
    GaveYouPower Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    The eat what you want and stay in a deficit diet.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    The way you eat doesn't need a label. Just eat food, but stick to your calorie deficit.

You'll soon work out the best foods and meal timing to keep you feeling most satisfied, satiated, and that make you feel good/energetic etc
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,610 Member
    Options
    Diets are why you fail. Following some regimented strict program isn't a LIFELONG consistency for many which is why weight regain or just plain giving up happens.
    Track the AMOUNT of calories you eat each day. If you consume less than you burn, then you'll lose weight. I don't care if it's eating pizza, burgers, tofu, etc., whatever way you LIKE to eat, just don't exceed your calorie allotment.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • anybeary
    anybeary Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Try Dukan. www.dukandiet.com
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I've lost 70+ pounds and KEPT IT OFF by logging food, eating mindfully rather than shoveling it in, and making better choices in what I'm choosing to eat. If I want something high-calorie, I'll have it but I'll make an adjustment somewhere else and log it. That's about it.

I've become convinced over the decades that dieting doesn't work because you're artificially declaring this portion of your life is Diet Time, and when you're done with that you'll be back into Normal Time. You start hoping Diet Time will be over because it basically sucks. Few humans can put up with a low-carb diet, or any of the fads out there, indefinitely. You've had enough, go back to your old habits, and all of a sudden you're back where you started -- or worse.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    The one that will keep you in a sustainable calorie deficit and will help you into maintenance once you reach your goal weight
  • LucasWilland
    LucasWilland Posts: 68 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    The actual diet that one chooses has little meaning if it does nothing for adherence. The research shows that diets of differing macronutrients and quality made little difference in the long term in terms of both health markers and fat loss. The term diet itself is from the Greek word diata, a way of life. The old adage of the best diet is one that you can stick to is definitely true. That being said, picture your diet plan. If you cannot picture yourself eating this way for the rest of your life, then don't do it--period:https://examine.com/nutrition/the-best-diet-is-the-one-you-can-stick-to/
    * with the exception of higher protein being more beneficial for retention of lean mass and fat loss
    *With that being said, a good guideline is to ensure that 70 to 80% of calories are from whole food sources to ensure fiber, proper micronutrients, and a healthy gut microbiome, with the rest being from whatever you want.
    *These calories can be on a daily or weekly basis. As long as the deficit is the same by the end of the week, it does not really matter whether you eat a little more on some days than others.
  • nickiphillips1
    nickiphillips1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Don't diet, change the way you eat.

Meet with a dietitian and learn how to eat better. Chances are your doctor's office has a registered dietitian. Also, some large supermarkets have dietitians that are free, like Hyvee.

Once you learn how to eat better, you can make a lifestyle change.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    I want to loose about 70 lbs. I have failed over and over! Not sure which diet program I should use.
    It seems that weight watchers has the best rating when I used google.
    Help!!!!!!

Here on MFP we don't use the word "diet". It needs a lifestyle change including monitoring all the calories you consume, amd all the calories you burn through exercise. Plot them on your profile page everyday and ensure you remain in a deficit at the end of each day.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I'll call it the troubleshoot and adjust diet.
    1. Weigh and log all your food for a week, no attempt at restriction.
    2. Analyse the results. How much do you need to cut from your daily calorie goal?
    3. Make a change towards your new calorie goal. You may pre-log your day to see what works best.
    4. Try for a week and see how you do.
    5. Readjust your goals.
    6. Repeat.

On this diet you eat and live like you always have, with more measuring.

You learn a lot about yourself and what works.

You won't be trying to box yourself in to an unrealistic Beach Body. Your plan will fit you.
  • CodyAnn81
    CodyAnn81 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Just change the way you think about food. Make smarter choices such as if you want a hamburger and ffs, make it a turkey burger and sweet potato fries. Cut out your sodas and sugary drinks and focus on drinking water. Make small changes and exercise!! To begin with you don't have to work out in the gym or at home for an hour, just do something!! Set a goal for the day ( reasonable) and achieve it then push yourself a little harder the next day and so on.. You've got this!! You must believe in yourself!!! Good luck!
  • LucasWilland
    Options
    I also agree with the above poster. One thing that may help you, especially if you have a stressful mindset when it comes to dieting, is to look at including things rather than excluding. So if your current diet has you consuming a lot of low micronutrient foods, like 3 cans of Coke a day or something, a food diary can help you run an audit on where you can improve your intake. Instead of immediately cutting out the Coke, look at perhaps adding more fruits and vegetables. From there, you can make a goal of consuming more protein, and so on and so forth. And then when you finally get the basics down, you can look at replacing the cans of Coke with something perhaps a little more filling and micronutrient dense. This will also allow you to see where you may have been overdoing it with the calories in the past, and how you can still include some things that you may have liked in your previous diet by simply reducing the portion sizes.

But most importantly: a healthy lifestyle is not merely one diet change, exercise routine, or day of good rest, it is steady improvement on a daily basis. There is no such thing as a magic diet, exercise, program or routine. The goal is to improve just a little more every day, whilst remembering that there will be drawbacks, days where motivation is sagging, etc. Do not be afraid of failure. Failure is a normal part of life, perfection is not. With the exception of the laws of physics, very few things in this universe are perfect. Why should you be, too? Remember: the only failure is the one that you never learn from.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I think I'd call mine the "be real with yourself" diet. I took MFP's recommendations. And I admitted to myself that I would never be able to stick to a plan that would make me feel guilty for going out to eat and having something other than "salad, dressing on the side, steamed rice, steamed vegetables, and tofu (I'm vegetarian)." Or having a bit of potato kugel or the odd piece of cake. Over-indulging is a problem, of course, but I knew I'd never stick with "No indulging, period."

So, when I know I'm going into a situation where there will be foods I want that aren't as low in calories as usual, I plan for them. I ask myself, "How much do you think you need to consume in order to feel that you enjoyed yourself and weren't 'virtuously and miserably' gnawing on baby carrots and watching everyone else have cake?" And usually, if I plan ahead of time, I can come up with something realistic. "One piece of birthday cake and maybe a small handful of jelly beans? What kind of calories are we talking? Okay. I think it's worth those X calories and I'll have a lighter lunch/supper or work out a bit to make room for it." And then, all I have is the treat. No extras, not even the side of guilt and negativity that always used to come included. Because this way, a treat doesn't become a cheat.

Now if there's a medical reason for you to cut out certain foods, that's one thing. If there are foods you know you can't moderate and you're better off not having for that reason, then yes, eliminate them OR make sure that you don't buy more than you're ready to consume at one sitting. If, for example, your weakness is chocolate cake, maybe buy a cupcake. Maybe buy a mini cupcake. Or take a portion and freeze the rest. Otherwise, as long as you're eating at a deficit, eat what you want and enjoy!
  • LucasWilland
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I'll call it the troubleshoot and adjust diet.
    1. Weigh and log all your food for a week, no attempt at restriction.
    2. Analyse the results. How much do you need to cut from your daily calorie goal?
    3. Make a change towards your new calorie goal. You may pre-log your day to see what works best.
    4. Try for a week and see how you do.
    5. Readjust your goals.
    6. Repeat.

On this diet you eat and live like you always have, with more measuring.

You learn a lot about yourself and what works.

You won't be trying to box yourself in to an unrealistic Beach Body. Your plan will fit you.

Couldn't agree with this more.
  • Barbs2222
    Barbs2222 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    The one that will keep you in a sustainable calorie deficit and will help you into maintenance once you reach your goal weight

This. I could not stay in a deficit until I found intermittent fasting. Some people like to eat all day, some like to eat 3 meals, some feel better with high protein less carbs, some people eat a lot of vegetables and fruit. I could go on and on here. So you have to play with it and find out what works for you. Weighing and logging food and maybe writing some comments in the little box below will help you figure out what works for you. Give it some time and good luck :smiley: