Knee Pain?

Options
Hey everyone! I went running on Monday and it ended up being a fantastic run...until the next day I was getting a lot of pain in my knee. I've never really had knee problems like this, and I figured it was just running pains. I worked out again (only a half mile of jogging to warm up and then some non-impact cardio) and it continued to bother me a bit. I rested it a day, then worked out again today (same sort of work out), and by the end of my workout when I did a short cool down my knee wasn't bothering me. About an hour afterward I stood up from sitting and I got some really sharp pains in it.
Now it's feeling better, but it hurts when I use stairs.
I'm not sure if I hurt something, or if it could be because of the humidity and heat (I'm sure you've all heard of the insane heat wave that hit the east coast). I'm an athlete at my university and I have access to the athletic trainers here, but I don't want to bother them over summer unless I think it's something serious.
Should I just cut out all running until it's feeling better, or switch to aqua jogging and just weight training until then?
Any ideas on what it could be / treatment ideas?

The pain is mostly on the sides of my knee. It's on my right leg, which is weaker and full of issues already (had surgery on that foot and have osteoarthritis in it). Any advice/ thoughts are appreciated!

Replies

• cabul3
    cabul3 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    my knees make clicking, crunching, cracking noises when i bike and run. it's not painful, but sometimes it feels....awkward. i've discovered AquaFit, and those classes are my fave!! low-impact and easy on the knees, but the water resistance makes for a great workout on the muscles :o)
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I would look into seeing a dr. It sounds like you have something going on with it.
  • haldeman5
    haldeman5 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I don't know what it is but I have had similar problems and what helped me was to get a knee brace. I use it when I do intense cardio or running/jogging and I don't get knee pain at all anymore.I have one that has the side bars built in to stabilize it. It was odd feeling when I first used it but now it is very comfortable for me. If I forget to wear it I usually step wrong and feel a twinge. Good luck I hope you figure it out!
  • emilyanne1012
    emilyanne1012 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've been looking into that. I've had random short lived knee pains before, but nothing like this. I think I will go tomorrow and see what the athletic trainers have to say about it.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Have a look at Iliotibial Band Syndrome - seems to be quite a common injury for runners.....

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_5/194.shtml#iliotibial
  • Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    IT band. Same dealio for me. Make sure you ice and do a lot of IT Band stretches. If you get a chiro through your insurance, hit them up.
  • tigerbluefly
    tigerbluefly Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I had a lot of knee problems when I started running and still do on occassion. It was my IT band. Google some exercises for it and get yourself a foam roller. It will help a lot. I rarely have pain now that I keep up with the stretching etc....
  • Sharonum
    Sharonum Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have been recovering from an injury such as your complaint, since May 15, 2010. It's called runner's knee. If you having some swelling you want do the RICE method: Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevate. I know how frustrating it is, because I love running. I ran a half-marathon and three months later is when my injury happened. I would give it some time maybe do water running, cycling, etc. I ended up going to see two different doctors. Both did x-rays, but the second one did and mri, which showed my patella had a slight shift to the right. Now I am going to a chiropractor, but it is so FRUSTRATING. But, don't do like me.....RICE method it and do other exercises for awhile until the knee seems it is ready. Your knee will tell you when you are able to run and etc. Don't start out doing what you use to do..gradually get back into it, Chick! :)

P.S. Upper leg strengthen exercises are a MUST!!!!

This is from the heart,

Sharon, Alabama
  • misscfe
    misscfe Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I would see a Dr just in case it is something. I had very rare knee pain for years but it was so rare I ignored it and even when I did have it, it never lasted more then maybe a minute or so. Over the last year it got progressively worse and I have had a few important movements eliminated from my workouts and am having to do more to recover from it. Had I gone to the Dr a long time ago it would have never gotten as bad as it did and probably would have been able to prevent it. I was diagnosed with patella fibromyalgia from playing volleyball for 15 years and had to start taking glucosamine. It was a simple fix but unfortunately I waited too long & the recovery will take a whole lot longer.
  • svanhoecke
    svanhoecke Posts: 266
    Options
    I consider myself an expert knee pain patient! I have had surgery on both of my knees and I can offer you a little advice:

1. Don't jog on concrete. Use either the street or preferably a treadmill
    2. If running continues to aggravate it, do something lower impact. I suggest the elliptical as you get almost as good of a work out with less strain on you joints. Swimming is another option, as is circuit training. Or even better, take a long walk instead of a short run. Your knees will thank you. Still avoid concrete, though.
    3. Strengthen your leg muscles. Specifically, strengthen your quads. If you go to a physical therapist, they will probably tell you the same thing. I do leg lifts on a weight machine. Lunges work well, too.
    4. Before AND after every work out, stretch you hamstrings and you leg muscles.
    5. If you choose to keep running, do this after you work out: Take two ibuprofen, cover your bad knee in ice, and elevate your right leg. Even if it doesn't specifically hurt after your workout, you will thank me later!
    6. If after strengthening your quads you see no results, or if the pain is too much, go see a doctor. They can point you towards an orthopedic doctor that can help you better

Most importantly- Do not ignore this! Do something to help yourself, even if it is just ice. Don't assume your pain is normal. I did that and ended up with swollen knees that needed surgery.

I am NOT a medical professional, but I have had some serious knee pain in my life! Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • emilyanne1012
    Options
    IT band sounds pretty accurate actually, especially since I'm horrible with making sure I stretch. Luckily I have a foam roll already, so I'll start using it. This also might explain why toward the end of my workout (after I've done some stretching and warming up) it bothers me a lot less, and why it hurts after I'm cooled down again post workout.
  • emilyanne1012
    Options
    Thank you guys so much for all the advice!!
    I think I have a plan of attack. I emailed my coach about seeing the trainer tomorrow. I'm going to see if they can give me any advice.
    I'm also going to try stretching more before and after my workouts. I'll stick with the elliptical until it starts bother me less, but continue with stretching and some ice.

I have always hated running (which is funny, because I'm on the track team..but I pole vault) until this summer, and I've suddenly fell in love. I just want to get back into it again!