Fears of Starting

Options
It seems weird for me to say that I have fears about losing weight, but I do! I'm just wondering if I'm the only one who has (or had) these fears.

I'm afraid that I will start and give up again like so many times before.

I'm afraid that I won't reach my goal and that I will get stuck before I see real results.

I'm afraid that if I do reach my goals that it will be short lived like in the past and I will slip into bad habits and gain it back.

I'm worried that I will never be happy or satisfied with my body.

I'm worried that it will take too long and I will get frustrated.

The rational side of me can combat these fears in theory, but they have a tendency to creep back into my mind.

Has anyone experienced this? Ie did you put these fears or others you had to rest?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,074 Member
    Options
    The mind is a most powerful thing.

Whether you think you can or you think you can't - you're right.

I have to work at rejecting negative thoughts. It's a process and takes practice.

Have you ever tried any meditation? Maybe go on YouTube and find a beginner's meditation and try it. :)
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Yes, I think you and I have the same super power...The ability to visualize the worst possible outcome of any endeavor.

All those things you fear have something in common. They are all things that might happen in the future. You are not there yet, there is nothing that can be done about them now and they probably won't happen anyway.

Don't get ahead of yourself. Just figure out your calorie budget and start...today. In the unlikely event that one of those things you fear actually happens, don't give up. Deal with tomorrow's issues tomorrow. You can come back to the forums and ask for advice any time.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    You're not the only one. My fear of starting to try to lose weight amounted to me believing my excuses. "I can't afford a gym and I can't afford the time in a gym". OK, the truth is I still can't afford a gym and I still don't have time to workout as I imagined I would have to workout to lose weight. I learned that I don't have to pay for gym memberships and spend chunks of time traveling to and fro and spending chunks of time getting sweaty and getting clean. Counting calories and managing my relationship with food was the easy thing. Convincing myself that starting to try was possible was the hard thing.

I have been losing for over a year and have lost about 90 lb so far.
  • kerr2010
    kerr2010 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Thank everyone for the very positive responses! You are right I need to see this as a lifetime change, not just something with an arbitrary start and stop date. Positive thinking is key. I'm fearing the worst from every angle about things that may or may not even happen ;)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,662 Member
    Options
    FEAR- False Evidence Appearing Real

Fear paralysizes many from trying to do WHAT THEY NEED TO. You'll always fear something. There are people who are in great shape that fear putting on a swimsuit.
    Whatever your fear, it can be overcome. It takes wanting to do it, and consistently trying to overcome it, that will give you confidence to see it's nothing you really have to fear.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • mallen40
    mallen40 Posts: 119 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I understand your fears and experience the same fears. I am at this again and fear of failing yet again. I tell myself each day this is a new day and every little change matters. Just keep taking that one step at a time and believe in yourself. You can do this!
    I have been inactive for a long time and now that I am back most of the friends I had are no longer here. If you would like to add a new friend to help motivate each other feel free to do so.
  • JeanieWww
    JeanieWww Posts: 4,037 Member
    Options
    kerr2010 wrote: »
    It seems weird for me to say that I have fears about losing weight, but I do! I'm just wondering if I'm the only one who has (or had) these fears.

I'm afraid that I will start and give up again like so many times before.

I'm afraid that I won't reach my goal and that I will get stuck before I see real results.

I'm afraid that if I do reach my goals that it will be short lived like in the past and I will slip into bad habits and gain it back.

I'm worried that I will never be happy or satisfied with my body.

I'm worried that it will take too long and I will get frustrated.

The rational side of me can combat these fears in theory, but they have a tendency to creep back into my mind.

Has anyone experienced this? Ie did you put these fears or others you had to rest?

I use to have those same exact fears. Then I realized I was allowing fears to keep me from what I want. If you have a kid who is afraid of falling, it's hard to get them back on the bike. Same can go for us, but just like you tell the kid to keep trying, that they will get it, you need to tell yourself that too. Keep trying. Not trying is automatic failure. At least if you try (and keep trying daily) something is bound to happen.

Don't stop once you reach your goal. Change your goals maybe to become more fit or to maintain. I bet before you just stopped (and because you stopped, you gained).

Maybe you wont be totally happy or satisfied, but at least you'll be closer to it. Can you live with just being a little happier about it? Which do you want more? To try and maybe be a bit happier, or not try and stay upset?

It will take time! I'm learning that the hard way, too. There will be frustrations. Maybe you can make yourself a motivational notebook with fun memes or quotes to help keep you focused or to find humor while in the struggle. I am thinking that after a while, if you stick to it, it will become more natural. Make it a life long change, not a temp. diet change.
    Find your reasons why you want to do this and let those reasons be your motivator.
  • JustTrackinIt
    JustTrackinIt Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    For me the highlight of my day is going to the gym. It is almost like going to church. I had tried so many times to get in there, but I couldn't really get motivated. Try getting into a routine of going at similar times at your particular gym. Get some good music going, and escape from LIFE. You have to find enjoyment in the journey and be willing to fail and get back up again. I was 165 before the holidays down from 202 last june. I got back up to 190 after the holidays and is my current pic. I made so many excuses even though I kept my activity high - diet is so important, and tracking these calories are the most important thing. By being on here and doing that you are so far ahead of everybody else trying to lose weight. Be proud and find enjoyment in the journey.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    You may also be looking at a too big picture. That terrified me. Break it up and look at the small pieces and little things you would like to change forever. Smaller steps like drinking more water and logging your water. Then maybe in a week or two log your food without worrying about calories or MACROS or anything like that. Baby steps may make a start easier.
  • GreekGoddess24
    GreekGoddess24 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I think it's important to remind ourselves that we deserve this. Also it's okay if we mess up or if things get hard. We can do this. If you can believe that are a capable of reaching your goals you are half way there!
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Ok small change then. Something so easy no fear involved. Change one habit. This month eat and exercise as normal just log your food every day. Make it a small habit change. Then next month pick a small habit change again to add. Maybe replace high calorie beverages with water.