terrible stomach cramps with intense exercise

Options
Hello all. I run about 3 miles 4-5 days/week. I run at a fair pace (11-12 minute mile). I find that when I really exert myself and increase the intensity of my work out I get terrible bathroom cramps. These cramps can occur immediately or 2 hours after my run. I've researched it on the internet and have found nothing about it. I'm keeping a journal about the occurrences for my PCP so he can try to figure out what's going on.
I wondered if any of you have every experienced this as I feel very alone and frustrated since it kind-of prevents me from increasing the intensity of my run.

Sorry if this is kind of gross, but I really need to know if anyone else has experienced this.
Thanks in advance!

Replies

• drygravytrain
    drygravytrain Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    how long before your runs do you eat or drink?
  • Eirhren
    Eirhren Posts: 18
    Options
    I usually haven't had anything but a light snack (pretzels, saltines) at least 4 hours before I run. I drink water all day long.
  • newmommy2cash
    Options
    You may not be eating enough to support your intense work out. You need fuel.
  • Dabbles
    Dabbles Posts: 367
    Options
    try eating a small higher protein snack about an hour before you run. See how that does. My stomach cramps bad if I don't eat more often. Esp when I first wake up in the morning.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    usually exercise cramps are caused by not enough water.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Look up runners trots. That may be what you are describing. There are many sites discussing how to deal with it.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I usually haven't had anything but a light snack (pretzels, saltines) at least 4 hours before I run. I drink water all day long.

Have you tried fueling your runs? Like a banana and a cheese stick an hour before? (protein, carb, and fat) don't wait 4 hours to run, your body is kind of low on energy at that point.
  • JoceyyySmall
    JoceyyySmall Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    If I am thinking of the same thing this happens to me pretty much every tuesday. I end up doing a circuits class for an hour and then do a 5k run outside with a running group by the time I get home its really late and have gone about 7 hours without eating. Its effected my stomach as it kind of cramps up and hurts even after I eat. Its also happened a couple times after an intense run on the treadmill. I think its to not an adequate eating plan during these days. Maybe try eating some kind of carb about two hours before hand and then going for a run and drink some water around then too.

I'm not sure if this really helped :(
  • kentlass
    kentlass Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    i tend to get these too(i run up to 13miles some days...8mph onthe treadmill)...sometimes so bad i'm doubled over in agony...it happens whether i eat heavy or light before a workout so i know that doesn't make a difference(for me anyways)

i remember reading about something called 'runners trots' which causes a runner to need the bathroom, or have the cramps like they need to when working out intensively
  • Eirhren
    Eirhren Posts: 18
    Options
    Yes! Sometimes it really is agony. Awful, awful, awful cramping. I've tried eating before, not eating before, tried a thorough colon cleanse, I feel like I've tried everything. It just really sucks. It's so limiting.
    Thank you all for your posts! Although I do not wish this pain on anyone else, it's nice to know I'm not the only one.
  • gemtwist
    gemtwist Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    The severity of your symptoms is a little worrisome. Abdominal pain and diarrhea are pretty common in runners, but usually symptoms are mild. In rare cases, endurance runners can get a lack of blood flow to the intestines that basically starves the gut of oxygen. Again, it's rare, but if your symptoms are really that severe, you may want to see a gastroenterologist, not just your PCP. I hope you feel better soon.