Protein powder

Options
Hi, can anyone recommend a protein powder that doesn't taste horrible? :wink:

I'm looking to slim down and tone, so I don't think I'd need the same powders as the men trying to get all buff.

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Protein powders just provide protein. They do not buff you up nor do they "tone" or slim you down. If you are low in your protein macros they are a way to get those macros met. Nothing more, nothing less. As far as taste, that is a personal preference. For me, I prefer the Quest line of protein powders as taste goes, Trutein is another tasty one for me. I used to like MP Cookies and cream but that is just ok to me.
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Well, the protein powder itself is not going to slim or tone you, or make you super buff. Only eating at a calorie deficit and working out will do this.
    That being said, Unjury is the only one that I really like. I mix the classic chocolate flavor with PB2 and almond milk. It's great for a quick breakfast in the morning. The only bad thing is it's online only, but they do sell packets so you can try all the flavors if you want.
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Taste is such an individual thing I'm not sure how anyone could possibly help you with that OP. You'll have to try whatever you think looks good and see what you like.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hi, can anyone recommend a protein powder that doesn't taste horrible? :wink:

I'm looking to slim down and tone, so I don't think I'd need the same powders as the men trying to get all buff.

Taste is highly subjective. If you can, try to get samples of a few. If you want to look at quality, I'd recommend looking at the protein rankings on www.labdoor.com .

What I like: MusclePharm, Quest (this is more thick if you like the milkshake type consistency), Dymatize, and DesignerWhey.

I like to cook with BodyTech and MusclePharm.

A lot of people like ON (I am not a fan), MYprotein, Trutein and PEScience
  • mcginger1
    mcginger1 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    My honey & I like Optimum Nutrition - Platinum Hydro Whey Turbo Chocolate or Velocity Vanilla. It's super low in sugar, high in protein, and tastes great. Also easily blended. I add it to my iced coffee and use a blender bottle to shake it up.
  • unparalleledAF
    unparalleledAF Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Adding to what psuLemon said: samples are a great idea. Fitness and health fairs tend to have booths where you can try something, or even trial sized packets that you can take home. Whole Foods has single serving packs for sale, not of all of the brands they carry but of a couple.

My personal favorite is Vega, specifically their proteins and greens blend. As others have already mentioned, taste is subjective. As much as I like it, others could find it disgusting.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I use an unflavored, unsweetened whey powder from MRM. It basically has very little flavor. I add whatever flavors I want when I mix my shakes or smoothies or cook pancakes or cookies.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    To get buff this would require a calorie surplus and progressive lifting routine. That being said I agree with the other responses in that protein powders are only to augment your protein macros. There are no magical powers to cause you to lose or gain weight. I like Quest and MPS.
  • kellysmith410
    kellysmith410 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    To get buff this would require a calorie surplus and progressive lifting routine. That being said I agree with the other responses in that protein powders are only to augment your protein macros. There are no magical powers to cause you to lose or gain weight. I like Quest and MPS.

I second this advice - there is no difference between different kinds of protein powders & getting bulky vs. losing weight.
    I however like optimum nutrition or beast sports nutrition.
  • bienemajamfp
    bienemajamfp Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I love Bulk Supplement Whey Protein. No funny taste, no artificial sweeteners etc. pure and simple!
  • crvynatrlbeauty
    crvynatrlbeauty Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I enjoy the EAS Soy Protein: Vanilla flavor :smile:
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Like a few have mentioned before, protein powders will not help you 'tone' or 'slim down'. That comes from the diet and exercise itself. The protein powder is just meant to supplement. A lot of people don't even use it. You'll see a lot of brands geared more towards women or men, those are just selling strategies. Protein is still just another macro.

As for taste, I've personally just looked through the bodybuilding.com store and looked at the taste ratings for what they have on the site. They have tons of brands. I don't necessarily order through them, but I've found them to be the most accurate in taste review. My personal favorite is Optimum Nutrition Mocha Cappuccino. I've always mixed mine with almond or cashew milk as well.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    The protein powder industry is a conspiracy to make us buy different brands and different flavors in search of something we like.

I like the first one I tried, Body Fortress Chocolate, but that only means I'm ignorant of everything else. I've only recently ordered a different brand and source of protein and expect a different taste experience. I'll find out.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    The protein powder industry is a conspiracy to make us buy different brands and different flavors in search of something we like.

I like the first one I tried, Body Fortress Chocolate, but that only means I'm ignorant of everything else. I've only recently ordered a different brand and source of protein and expect a different taste experience. I'll find out.

That's why I stick with vanilla and add in my own flavors (cocoa, extracts, coconut, sunflower butter, etc)
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Isopure Whey Isolate (Unflavored) and Isopure Dutch Chocolate are both good.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Trutein is pretty good, I think... but more importantly to you, they have individual serving packets available, so you can try before you commit to a tub.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I use optimum nutrition. Just be careful of serving size and calorie counts. Some are higher than others. I like to keep it around 25g and 120-130 cals a serving/scoop
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I will provide a suggestion on how to drink it ... I tried mixing with water, milk, almond milk, etc. and the protein powders just never tasted that great. However, now, I mix with cold coffee and it makes chocolate and vanilla protein powders pop! I just save a cup or two of coffee in the morning and set aside in the fridge for the following day to mix with the powder. Of course, flavors like strawberry and banana may taste funky in coffee but I can attest to the chocolate and vanilla!
  • AvsFreak
    AvsFreak Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I have had many, many different kinds over the years and by far the best tasting one I've had is Trutein, mostly the Cinnabun flavor. It's a little more pricey, so I usually go with Muscle Milk. Also liked Gaspari Nutrition's Myofusion.
  • AvsFreak
    AvsFreak Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    rhtexasgal wrote: »
    I will provide a suggestion on how to drink it ... I tried mixing with water, milk, almond milk, etc. and the protein powders just never tasted that great. However, now, I mix with cold coffee and it makes chocolate and vanilla protein powders pop! I just save a cup or two of coffee in the morning and set aside in the fridge for the following day to mix with the powder. Of course, flavors like strawberry and banana may taste funky in coffee but I can attest to the chocolate and vanilla!

Coffee instead of water and chocolate protein powder is awesome.