Am I experiencing extreme hunger?

Options
It all started 2 years ago I was a bit heavy and limited my calories to 1200 a day for 2 years and never had more then 1200 Calories sometimes ate under that. I recently gotten boney looking especially around my shoulders and weak feeling and extremely hungry nothing fills me up and I feel bad if I seem to "overeat" but I had developed anorexia symptoms. Am I overeating or is this extreme hunger? Thanks guys

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Start with your stats. That will show if you are in the danger zone or not. Are you eating more than 1200 calories a day now?

If you are hungry and weak, eat.
  • Cheyennea18
    Cheyennea18 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I been intuitively eating for 4 days now whenever I'm hungry. What do you mean though about starting with my stats?
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Height, weight.
  • GrayRider61
    GrayRider61 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    What's a typical day like as far as eating, activity, etc.?
  • Cheyennea18
    Options
    I eat healthy and am usually active but sometimes just chill at home
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,049 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating every day?

How tall are you? How much do you weigh?

This is concerning:
    I recently gotten boney looking especially around my shoulders and weak feeling and extremely hungry nothing fills me up and I feel bad if I seem to "overeat" but I had developed anorexia symptoms.
  • Cheyennea18
    Options
    I have a large bone frame I am 5'8 and 128 lbs my bones in my shoulders protrude A LOT and I feel weak and constantly hungry
  • Cheyennea18
    Options
    Usually eat 1200to 1500 a day but past 4 days been intuitive eating
  • Rays87fitness
    Rays87fitness Posts: 2 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Usually eat 1200to 1500 a day but past 4 days been intuitive eating

Since you have my fitness pal it should have shown you your maintenance calories when you first started. Of course, if you are concerned with "anorexia" you can select "weight gain" it should give you baseline calories you should be eating per day. Be proactive with logging in what you eat the app will give awesome feed back on the amount you eat. On a side note, eat everytime you're hungry at this point but definitely start tracking your food so you aren't over eating. Good Luck!
  • cmriverside
    Options
    I have a large bone frame I am 5'8 and 128 lbs my bones in my shoulders protrude A LOT and I feel weak and constantly hungry

You're just barely inside the healthy weight range, so I hope you know that you need to eat!

1200-1500 (if you are logging everything) for an 18 YO woman is not nearly enough food.

Protruding bones and feeling weak and constantly hungry are your body's cues to eat and yet you don't eat. Try eating your maintenance amount - and LOGGING it for two weeks. If you don't feel like you can do that psychologically, please get some mental health help. If logging food gives you anxiety, see a mental health professional. So much of what you are saying points to disordered thinking. You can go to your college or high-school nurse, or see your family doctor.

If you eat you will feel better - your body is slowly starving.
  • Cheyennea18
    Options
    Thank you so much for your reply however I have tried eating at maintenance yet my body still felt hungry and weak? Could that be because I was in a deficit for so long?
  • cmriverside
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I suppose. I was eating at a deficit for many months, but not when I was as thin as you are - and not a large deficit. Depending on what your daily activities are, you could be under eating by 1000 calories. I think you need months at maintenance to replenish. When you say you ate at maintenance, were you logging your food or doing it intuitively? For how long did you eat at maintenance? What do you consider "maintenance"?

Why don't you see a doctor?
  • Cheyennea18
    Options
    2000 maintenance and I logged it everyday
  • cmriverside
    Options
    So why are you back down to 1200? My suggestion is to eat 2000, logged, for a month. Don't freak out if/when you gain 3 pounds, you have plenty of leeway weight-wise.

But if you don't feel better in a week or two, see a doctor. It could be something else, you know?
  • Cheyennea18
    Options
    Yea I'm going to eat 2000 daily and see how it goes from there :) thank you for all your help I appreciate it!
  • jgnatca
    Options
    I am glad you are now paying attention to your body's signals. Carry snacks with you everywhere. Eat calorie dense foods like protein bars and hiker's mix. Rich foods will satisfy you faster.
  • CaptainPepperJack
    CaptainPepperJack Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're drinking enough water too. Dehydration will make you weak, and make you ravenously hungry.
  • Cheyennea18
    Options
    2000 seems to not satisfy me I feel like I'm going through extreme hunger from restricting so long
  • SeptemberFeyre
    SeptemberFeyre Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    You also could be anemic which contributes to the weakness you are feeling from eating too little. Your doctor could test you for that.