Maybe this rant will be good for me

Options
We all know the struggles of weight loss so I won't go there. But I will say I'm trying to drop 25lbs before April 9. It's my mom's birthday party and it's the difference between shopping at like Catherine's or Macy's. It's doable. Stay my butt out the drive thru, eat right and hit the gym for 60 minutes a day minimum. Even if I don't lose 25lbs I should come down a dress size or 2 so I am giving this all my might. I set my alarm so I remember to snack and drink water.

It is so freaking hard. I mean I work in a restaurant that has 5/5 ☆ on Yelp. So when I say the food is amazing. It's not just me that thinks so. And it's a bbq restaurant. Never the less, I'm sticking to my guns. It's not just for vanity. I am developing reversible health issues as well, so I'm trying to be healthier. So this is just a "kick starter" if you will (for the gabillionth time) for a lifestyle of change.

#1 I ask the people closest to me for their support and both my sisters turned me down, my bestie said she isn't ready so I feel alone. Other people set unfair expectations - like seriously, I'm not going to be skinny over night.

2. Comments like:
"That's what my food eats" or
"You eating rabbit food again" or
"I thought you were on a diet" when I eat ONE Hershey's kiss! I hate it when people talk about my food whether it's a salad or a burger just ugh...nooooo.

If you could keep your unsolicited advice, comments and overall rude opinions to yourself that would be great. That's what I want to say but I just play a mean girl, I'm really not one.

I am going to do this. I promise you that!

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Feel better? I understand. I got my husband to to get onboard with me but he quickly jumped ship. I sometimes feel really alone too. That is when I come on here and read other people's struggles and realize I am not alone.
  • mayafit405
    mayafit405 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I feel you , people are nosey lol. Just remember you're doing this yourself and your opinion is the only that matters B) Your goal is totally doable ! My advice is to plan ahead. Food , workouts etc. You can do this ! <3
  • hypodonthaveme
    hypodonthaveme Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    If you want it bad enough, you will go after it regardless of what others say or do.

People are not going to always cheer you on. People aren't always going to do it with you.

My spouse never joined me on my weight loss except the occasional walk. That was fine. I wasn't making his decisions. I was making mine. My life is what mattered to me. I was doing it for me.

I am unsure if extra support from family or friends would of made it easier or not. I felt stronger and more in control without help. Discouragements come and go, but I was in no competition with anyone but me. No excuses. I was in charge.

I encountered alot of negativity from naysayers. But I hit my goals 1 at a time. I am the one they say have inspired them by not giving up.

Just go for it! Its your life. Your journey. Enjoy it. Cry over the successes and the failures. But go for it anyway.
  • abowman0870
    abowman0870 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    How have you done so far? It is especially tough when you have an event coming up. That adds to the stress, for sure.
    At work, have to spoken to the chef to work out what is available that works within your dietary requirements? I know it is a little awkward as an employee but you may find support there.
  • Scotty2HotPie
    Scotty2HotPie Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Does your restaurant serve chicken and turkey? I put both on my salads each day for lunch. And smoked turkey is awesome... getting hungry thinking about it.

I understand your frustration about your friends and family. I definitely kept my working out/weight loss low key for that reason.

I posted some pictures this weekend on facebook and had several people ask me what I did to make the changes.

It's easy... lol

Eat right, work out.... Why is it so hard sometimes?
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    25 pounds in less than a month!? I've lost ten pounds in 3 months and have had some struggles. One of them is that if I restrict too much I start eating junk food right and left. I'm working on figuring out how to maintain for the long run, not do a short little sprint of weight loss and end up in 8 months weighing more than when I started. Just start logging and see how it goes. There will always be another "big event" around the corner. Wouldn't it be nice if you always maintained and could not need to diet for those special times?
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    OP - 25 lbs in 19 days is just not realistic or healthy to try to achieve. I would also think this problem and probably not reaching your goal is setting yourself up to this ending swiftly and becoming the "gabillionth and one" time you have tried to change your life.

You sound as though you have a lot of experience in starting diets that you can't maintain, that must be pretty demoralizing for you.

How about applying your zest and energy into looking back over the reasons why you have not been successful in the past and apply different behaviours and mindset to avoid them now. Establish achieveable goals, a reasonable deficit and go from there. Going balls to the wall is not sustainable in the long term and it is your long term success that will keep you from developing these medical issues that you wish to avoid.

To me it sounds as though you got knocked back by family and friends because they weren't prepared to join you in your journey, this isn't the same as them not being supportive of your personal goals, they may well find as others here have mentioned that your goals are daunting and unrealistic.

I really do wish you success but I can't stress how helpful smaller goals and changes can be when you are losing weight.
  • kiiibbb112253
    kiiibbb112253 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Just remember that you can eat anything and everything you want as long as you are in a calorie deficit and within your macro range. I just had some kit kats myself a few minutes ago
  • FittingIntoTheseGenes
    Options
    Well I way 328lbs. I really really want to be 299lbs come April 9. I started eating better today (meaning I was 164 calories over my goal) and tomorrow morning I start back at the gym. 60 minutes cardio 30 mins abs and weights. So to remain 330lbs that's about 4500 calories a day right? Maybe even more. If I cut that in half that's 2k calories a day, 14k a week I'm not eating which should result in some pounds dropping off. If 3500 calories = 1lb that's about 5 lbs a week about 3 weeks that's 15 lbs. If I commit to 6 days a week, 60 mins cardio 30 mins abs and weights, I'll burn it off as well.

Let's say I just walk for 1.5hrs - that burns about 750 calories so it's about 2 additional pounds a week....idk maybe you are right, maybe the goal isn't realistic, but I'm gonna try my hardest that's for sure thanks for realty check!
  • MsMaeFlowers
    MsMaeFlowers Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    My best friend isn't truly ready to lose weight yet either, BUT that doesn't mean she doesn't support me and celebrate my victories with me.

Maybe you need to have a talk about what you need from your friend. That's all part of friendship.

Sent you a friend request though, I'm always around and ready to help :)
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Well I way 328lbs. I really really want to be 299lbs come April 9. I started eating better today (meaning I was 164 calories over my goal) and tomorrow morning I start back at the gym. 60 minutes cardio 30 mins abs and weights. So to remain 330lbs that's about 4500 calories a day right? Maybe even more. If I cut that in half that's 2k calories a day, 14k a week I'm not eating which should result in some pounds dropping off. If 3500 calories = 1lb that's about 5 lbs a week about 3 weeks that's 15 lbs. If I commit to 6 days a week, 60 mins cardio 30 mins abs and weights, I'll burn it off as well.

Let's say I just walk for 1.5hrs - that burns about 750 calories so it's about 2 additional pounds a week....idk maybe you are right, maybe the goal isn't realistic, but I'm gonna try my hardest that's for sure thanks for realty check!

Well, you're starting off at a higher weight, so it's possible for you to lose more than the average person would in that time frame, but probably still not get to your goal. Just don't get too crazy with your restriction and end up burning out. Good luck! :)
  • AZIZAELLAZIZA
    AZIZAELLAZIZA Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I am with you all the way and I love your disclaimer as I have only been here 3 days and I have seen some very nasty, rude and mean spirited remarks left on people's threads.
    We all know the struggles of weight loss so I won't go there. But I will say I'm trying to drop 25lbs before April 9. It's my mom's birthday party and it's the difference between shopping at like Catherine's or Macy's. It's doable. Stay my butt out the drive thru, eat right and hit the gym for 60 minutes a day minimum. Even if I don't lose 25lbs I should come down a dress size or 2 so I am giving this all my might. I set my alarm so I remember to snack and drink water.

It is so freaking hard. I mean I work in a restaurant that has 5/5 ☆ on Yelp. So when I say the food is amazing. It's not just me that thinks so. And it's a bbq restaurant. Never the less, I'm sticking to my guns. It's not just for vanity. I am developing reversible health issues as well, so I'm trying to be healthier. So this is just a "kick starter" if you will (for the gabillionth time) for a lifestyle of change.

#1 I ask the people closest to me for their support and both my sisters turned me down, my bestie said she isn't ready so I feel alone. Other people set unfair expectations - like seriously, I'm not going to be skinny over night.

2. Comments like:
    "That's what my food eats" or
    "You eating rabbit food again" or
    "I thought you were on a diet" when I eat ONE Hershey's kiss! I hate it when people talk about my food whether it's a salad or a burger just ugh...nooooo.

If you could keep your unsolicited advice, comments and overall rude opinions to yourself that would be great. That's what I want to say but I just play a mean girl, I'm really not one.

I am going to do this. I promise you that!

• NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Having support in everyday life is hard. Try adding friends from here to support you. I agree with a previous post. When you set your mind to you're going to do it, no one and no opinions will stop you. You will do it regardless. You've got this! Good luck!