Overcoming a Mental Barrier

Options
Brief synopsis of my story - Over a span of 5 years, my weight slowly drifted from 128 to almost 160 pounds. A simple photo 2-1/2 years ago sparked my desire to lose the weight. Over 10 months, I was able to reduce my weight to 132 and have maintained since. Two important notes: 1) my original goal was to get back down to 128 and 2) a weight of 132 allows me to fit into my "larger" skinny pants but the smaller ones are way too uncomfortable to wear. I set my max matienance weight to 135 and the 3-4 times I've hit that weight, I've been able to reduce my weight rather easily to 132. However, I've never been able to break the 132 mark. As soon as my "larger" skinny pants fit, I always feel "good enough" and stop. I'm now starting a new drop from 135, and I would like to overcome this mental barrier to drop down to 128. Although I feel good now, I know the 128 number would exponentially increase my confidence and I'll drop the pesky extra weight in my thighs and hips.

Has anyone else had this issue? Any tips to overcome it this time?

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    It is going to be slow, I think you already know this.
    One option that may work for you is to change your maintenance calories to those of your new goal weight. I would probably set it to 125, the bottom of a maintenance range of 125-130 to give you a little leeway.

It will still be slow, but for some reason it doesn't seem as arduous as going into a deficit/weight loss mode.

Cheers, h.
  • dovnkels
    dovnkels Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Interesting... I am in a similar state. I am at 130, comfortable, but feel like I want to get down to 125. My "big" skinny jeans fit but I would love to wear the smaller pairs comfortably. It is a MIND thing. I am still in a defecit, but a small one and taking it slow. I am working out in ways I never have before. I am realizing that the effort in the gym is making my body look different and wondering if the number on the scale is inconsequentual? I was 115 last year but the muscle and shape I have at 130 seems much more desirable. Why do we torture ourselves over numbers?!? Some days I feel great and sometimes I think I should try harder to reach that number in my head!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Well done @dovnkels, recomposition is an excellent way to contour the body and not have to lose weight. It also has the plus of getting more calories.

@Brt33690 have you thought of being the weight you are- but doing a recomp?
    There is an excellent thread about it in the maintenance sub-forum.

Cheers, h.