Protein powder

Options
I am shopping this morning. My husband and I are going to do smoothies just wondering what the best protein power is to use. Tia

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    The one you like the taste of.

My favorite that I have tried is 1st Phorm Level-1.
    EAS 100% Whey, Muscle Milk, Quest, and Fitmiss delight aren't bad. Actually I thought these were all great until trying Level-1; than they moved donwn a peg to the not great, but not horrible.

Avoid EAS AdvantEdge powder. It doesn't fully dissolve (even with a blender).
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    You could use anything in a smoothie, the other ingredients would mask texture/taste issues. I'd go with a WPI - they should be low carb and fat, mostly protein.

Natural or vanilla flavour - they'd be the most usable in a range of combos
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    You can do a smoothie without any powder at all. Add some cooked beans, nuts, seeds, avocado, yogurt, berries, kale, water or coconut water, plain yogurt, whatever you wany.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    You want it to be mostly protein -- look at the calories to protein ratio.

If you have no issues with whey, I've found that mixes the easiest.

I tend to like ones that are very low or no sugar and don't have a lot of added ingredients beyond the usual. I also like plain (natural) or vanilla, although I have experimented with peanut butter and chocolate flavors.

Big recommendation: it's a bit more at first but worth it to pick up a bunch of sample packs and find out which ones you like. Buying a big vat of something you end up hating would be a bummer, and tastes are varied (a lot of people seem to like the Quest ones and I don't, for example).
  • Nevada
    Nevada Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I started with Muscle Milk Cookies & Cream. Nice, but very sweet.
    I am now enjoying Naked Whey. No added sugar, flavor, or anything. Grass fed, happy hippy California cows. I load it with fruit in the blender.

Downside, it was $89 for a 5 pound tub. I see whey isolate in the bulk bins at Sprouts, about $8 and $12 per pound for different kinds. I'll try those next.

• dotwilldoit
    dotwilldoit Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I am a huge fan of bariwise fruit flavored protein but you don't smoothie them. 16 oz of water in small blender and grapefruit is my current fave flavor
  • augustremulous
    augustremulous Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I use Isopure Nature's Best Vanilla. I got it off Amazon. It's all right as far as protein powders go. I hate protein powders so I really have to add a lot of other stuff to cover up the taste.

There's a place near me called Protein Bar, and I love their protein shakes. They told me they use Muscle Pharm Combat. I'm going to switch to that - I'll get the unflavored and use my own flavorings.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    cbelc2 wrote: »
    You can do a smoothie without any powder at all. Add some cooked beans, nuts, seeds, avocado, yogurt, berries, kale, water or coconut water, plain yogurt, whatever you wany.

That really does sound most unappetising....
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I use Isopure Nature's Best Vanilla. I got it off Amazon. It's all right as far as protein powders go. I hate protein powders so I really have to add a lot of other stuff to cover up the taste.

There's a place near me called Protein Bar, and I love their protein shakes. They told me they use Muscle Pharm Combat. I'm going to switch to that - I'll get the unflavored and use my own flavorings.

I use the muscletech phase 8 and I have vanilla and milk chocolate. both are really tasty the vanilla is almost like a vanilla cake taste(smells like a vanilla cake mix) and the chocolate is like a chocolate milk flavor. I was using bodyfortress but the muscle tech has a better taste I think.
  • mhwitt74
    mhwitt74 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I love Genuine Muscle Milk Vanilla Creme. Don't care for the chocolate though.