Grams of sugar per day?

Options
MFP had me at 50gm of sugar per day. I was easily able to stay under. Second guessing, I googled the amount of sugar per day recommendation for women. Came across 25gm recommended per day. I am never able to stay under 25gms per day. Never. What do ya all shoot for per day?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    The sugar goals are supposed to be based on added sugar, not natural sugars. I don't even look at sugar, because calories effect weight loss, not sugar. But if have a medical condition, that focus might change.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I ignore it and just pay attention to hitting getting enough fat and protein. Unless you have a medical condition, the main "issue" with sugar is the potential it has to either keep you from eating your nutritional needs or to cause you to exceed your calorie goals.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    The AHA recommendation of no more than 25 grams of sugar per day for women is for added sugar, and does not include sugar that naturally occurs in fruits, veggies, dairy, etc. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/HealthyLiving/HealthyEating/Nutrition/Added-Sugars_UCM_305858_Article.jsp#.WMlMjFNrjRY

I strive for 40-50% carbs per day, and replaced Sugar and Sodium with Fiber and Iron, which are more useful nutrients for me to track.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Honestly, there's no "recommended" value. Humans can survive and thrive with zero sugar in their diet. Or lots of sugar, although that can cause some health problems. So really, the question is what is the maximum amount of sugar you want to allow in your diet. Sugar isn't super great for your body, so it's up to you to decide how much of it you want to consume. Kind of like alcohol... you need to decide what your daily limit of vodka should be.

I personally try to stick below 20g of sugar, period. Whether it comes from fruit or a candy bar. That's just my preference.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,120 Member
    Options
    I don't shoot for a sugar goal. Unless a person has a medical reason to do so, diabetes or the like, there is no reason to specifically track sugar. This is doubly true when one considered that fruit has lots of sugar. BTW that 25g would be for added sugar, but the whole limit added sugar advice is not in the context of people who are eating appropriate calorie amounts. In the case of people not tracking calories, limiting sugar would limit overall consumption of calories as they seek to limit sugar.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    The sugar goals are supposed to be based on added sugar, not natural sugars. I don't even look at sugar, because calories effect weight loss, not sugar. But if have a medical condition, that focus might change.

Yup this.

I used to track my sugar.. I try to stay under 150g.. but we all have our days.
  • mouser36
    mouser36 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you so very much.... I was driving myself nuts with going over 25gm per day. Most of my sugar is from snacking on fruit. Moocho thanks!!!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I also don't track sugar. I aim for my protien goal and don't worry about the rest.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    I am trying to stay at 48g of sugar a day, period. I've heard a lot of arguments both ways. The recommendation is for 24g of added sugar, not necessarily natural sugar, but I've also heard people make the argument that to your body, sugar is sugar no matter the source, added or natural. But I'm insulin resistant with several family members who are diabetic. I'm not diabetic yet, but I limit my sugar because I'm trying to prevent diabetes in the future, as I'm at a risk for it.

But if I go over 48g, I don't stress too much on it, especially as I recently had bloodwork done and my fasting sugar levels were well within the normal range.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    As much as possible. I don't pay attention to my sugar consumption.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    Honestly, there's no "recommended" value. Humans can survive and thrive with zero sugar in their diet. Or lots of sugar, although that can cause some health problems. So really, the question is what is the maximum amount of sugar you want to allow in your diet. Sugar isn't super great for your body, so it's up to you to decide how much of it you want to consume. Kind of like alcohol... you need to decide what your daily limit of vodka should be.

I personally try to stick below 20g of sugar, period. Whether it comes from fruit or a candy bar. That's just my preference.

No. Sugar and alcohol are no where near the same playing field.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    toxikon wrote: »

No. Sugar and alcohol are no where near the same playing field.

Sorry, I was trying to make a joke there.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I don't even track it. I just watch Calories, Protein, Fiber and let carbs, fat, sugar fall where they may.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I don't consume added sugars, but I put 1/2 cup berries and 1/2 banana in my breakfast smoothie. If I eat a grapefruit later in the day I get a sugar warning. I ignore it.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I don't track sugar - I switched that one to fiber. More useful info for me (No medical issue that requires me to track sugar).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I mostly just focus on making sure most of my sugar is from nutrient dense sources, like veg and fruit. I think the idea that it should be as low as possible is a terrible one given how good those foods are for you and that there's no reason to think sugar from nutrient dense foods in the context of a good, balanced, calorie-appropriate diet is bad for you, period. IMO, a good day would be getting over 25 g from vegetables, especially.

I do tend to make sure I'm not getting it from anywhere that would be a surprise, that I'm getting enough fiber (not really an issue), protein, and healthy fats, and usually am around my 15% of overall calories or less, mostly from fruit, veg, and dairy, with some from various other foods depending on the day.
  • tmoneyag99
    tmoneyag99 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I just try my damnedest not to eat added sugar. That means no honey, no sugar, no agave, no coconut sugar, no high fructose corn syrup. It's the added stuff that gets us in trouble. Cut out added sugars and you will be suprised how satisfying an apple really is.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I never understand the idea that an apple is less satisfying if you eat some added sugar. I cut it out for a while, added it back in in moderation (sugar has never been my biggest weakness, admittedly), and I continued to find fruit quite sweet and delicious, as I always have. The reason I sometimes want chocolate or ice cream (not currently, as I'm not eating them during Lent) and not a clementine has nothing to do with the clementine not being sweet, it's that the chocolate or ice cream have other tastes besides sweetness, such as creaminess (the fat). Some of my favorite restaurant ice creams I've had aren't all that sweet at all, and I like chocolate often on the quite dark side.
  • mhwitt74
    mhwitt74 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Agree