Returning to MFP, taking it very slowly

Options
I have 60 pounds to lose to get to a healthy BMI. Last year I tried to hunker down and do it, but I struggled to stay motivated. Towards the end of 2016 I just gave up and stopped trying. Luckily, I didn't gain any of my modest weight loss back.

I'm back now, and to be honest I'm still not really motivated to work hard and lose. But at the very least, my goal is to stay engaged with MFP and not ever again encounter the situation of closing my eyes and looking the other way to how I treat my body. I'm exercising and lifting, because it feels like that's what my body needs, and I'm focusing on wellness and feeling strong. And I'm intermittently logging, too (both junk and healthy food) - I've set my calories to losing .5 pounds per week, so maybe a little bit will get shaved off too. I've found that setting my calories to such a modest goal has given me the freedom to continue with the plan easily even when life throws a bunch of problems at me.

I expect that throughout this year I'll have varying levels of motivation, so maybe in a month or two I will feel ready to hit my efforts harder. Right now it feel like I'm eating whatever I want and exercising as much as I want and getting slightly better, even if it's slow. And that's a great feeling! Makes me feel like I'm in control and helps me feel optimistic about my ability to maintain any of my health gains.

I know other folks here might be at a different place, and that's cool. I was in a different place last year, and will be in a different place soon. But this is where I am now.

Anyway, it seems like a lot of the friends I made on MFP last year are no longer active, so it would be great to make some new ones! Please add me.

Replies

• try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I like the attitude you have here. It's not reasonable to expect that we're going to be highly motivated all the time, but if we can at least maintain in those down times, things will tip in our favor over time. I just started actively restricting again a few weeks ago after many months of maintenance and have another 40 lbs or so to go. Though not tremendously motivated, I had to make some dietary changes to cope with a health issue and figured I may as well take advantage of it. ;)
  • SninaBrizburk
    SninaBrizburk Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I too struggle with motivation, and like you have 60lbs to go. Keeping track of the intake does help, as do friends.

Let's do this together!
  • augustremulous
    augustremulous Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the adds!

• burthdaygurl
    burthdaygurl Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm back on MFP too, after a 2 year hiatus. I have about 35 -40 lbs to lose. I would love an add too...taking things slowly and not drastically. I don't seem to sustain that sort of lifestyle
  • augustremulous
    augustremulous Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Getting back on the motivation train! Got a new gym membership, started some weightlifting, trying to get super strong!
  • nicoleeatsplants
    nicoleeatsplants Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm starting fresh as well, I've had an account for almost 6 years but none of my friends were active so I'm starting over. Feel free to add me
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Great plan--slow and steady. Super important to learn great habits along the way to set yourself up for maintenance in the future.
  • pili90
    pili90 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I'm on a similar path, third time trying this site, I think. This time I have a different approach, much like you slow and steady :)