Pre workout food

Options
Hi guys...what food do you have pre workout

Replies

• PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I usually just eat a banana on my way over to the gym :)
  • yondaime8
    yondaime8 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I drink a cup of coffee. I choose to eat the banana post workout but that's a personal preference.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    About an 30-60min before, espresso and a snack (usually cereal or something carby) then right before/during/after I eat candy
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    A.M.-Coffee n peanut butter on toast, cause I need some carbs to get going. P.M.- Cottage cheese or boiled egg, cause I've had plenty of carbs by now.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Iced coffee with a scoop of protein. Maybe an apple.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Breakfast, lunch, dinner or nothing at all.
  • Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    A couple cups of coffee before the gym or run in the mornings. I hate working out in the afternoons, so if I have to, I need something like iced coffee or a Monster Zero.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Just coffee if its an am workout. Food doesn't seem to help any and slows down the caffeine uptake. Eat normally if its any other time but no more than a small snack within 60-90 minutes if its heavy cardio like martial arts.

A turkey havarti avacado sandwich on a bagel is my go-to before LONG cardio like a belt test (5 hours of fighting) or a Spartan run or something.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Depends on the day. Sometimes nothing, sometimes a full breakfast (eggs, oats, coffee, fruit/veg, etc.)
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Rice cracker with peanut butter before the gym
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Pre workout: Protein shake with milk + jelly beans.
    Post workout: Dinner
  • chewyjello
    chewyjello Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Whole wheat crisp with peanut butter and some slices of banana, or yogurt with berries and flax
  • carolines1543
    carolines1543 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Pineapple or a nice big orange. I am always starving when I finish and ready for lunch
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I have a snack around 3:00, usually a Monster and a protein bar, hit the gym after work around 5:30, dinner around 8:00.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    protein bar and a cheese stick
  • Scrampy
    Scrampy Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    wow... so much caffeine. I find it makes me feel weaker and exhausted before a workout.

I tend to have a "meal replacement" type shake about an hour before a workout. Seems to cover all the bases.

If I don't have something ready... I'll make a shake with the following:

1/2 frozen banana
    1/2 cup of milk
    1/2 cup of water
    4 spoons of oatmeal
    1 or 2 scoops of flavoured protein (strawberry, vanilla or chocolate) (usually 2 if it's a morning workout)
    1/2 teaspoon of glucomannan powder (bulks and thickens the shake so I feel fuller)

Whiz it up and drink it down.

It's about 500 calories. The meal replacement is about 400 if you have it with milk.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I eat some fruit before I leave work, and sometimes a twizzler before I leave for the gym.
  • girlinbubble
    girlinbubble Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I just eat a spoon full of either peanut butter sesame seed butter or almond butter. Quick fun protein to help me run. I usually do my spoon with some* type of caffeine- usually a pre workout mix but if I don't have one then I'll use coffee
  • madube84
    madube84 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Something carby - if morning fruit or half a bagel. In the evening whatever I have on my meal plan that day with at least 30g of carbs. Weather it's morn or eve I alway have coffe as well.