Can't exercise (knee problem) what can I replace it with?

Options
I really can't exercise because I have a torn knee and can't really do the gym or workout much. I am on my feet at work all day. I work in a deli.. What can I do to help the weight come off?

Replies

• srv524
    srv524 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Watch your macros and watch your diet. Diet is 80% of your weight loss. You could try an elliptical or stationary bike or walking to see if it helps but again, diet diet diet
  • Insanitybuff
    Insanitybuff Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I tore my ACL a couple of years ago, so I know how you feel. You can get a great cardio workout and calorie burn without necessarily using your legs. Cross-body punches (like a boxer would do) can get your heart rate up and you can do them in a standing position. If you can tolerate a slight squatting position while you do them, even better!

Also, upper body weight training, diet, and lying leg exercises help a lot.

Good luck!
  • SP72680
    SP72680 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Try Tia Chi. Very gentle. You can use a chair for balance if knee hurts to much.
  • pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    If it's available, aqua aerobics
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I lost most of my weight without exercising at all and just counting calories. Now I'm an avid gym-goer but I wasn't when I was losing weight.

Also, I had a full hip replacement 2 years ago so couldn't do most exercises. The elliptical is what the doctor recommended since it's low impact. Treadmill walking and swimming are also good.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I tore my ACL a couple of years ago, so I know how you feel. You can get a great cardio workout and calorie burn without necessarily using your legs. Cross-body punches (like a boxer would do) can get your heart rate up and you can do them in a standing position. If you can tolerate a slight squatting position while you do them, even better!

Also, upper body weight training, diet, and lying leg exercises help a lot.

Good luck!

Along these lines.........

Seated exercise videos on YouTube. These will give you some ideas.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xC9khisFPA
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    did the Dr give you any PT exercises, with a torn ligament (when you say torn i assume thats what you mean) , there are specific exercises to do . And you can do most upper body exercises. cycling is usually ok for bad knees, and in some cases the mobility is good for them. And diet will take care of your weight issues.
  • Fallfrenzy
    Fallfrenzy Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I agree that 75-80% weight loss is related to your diet. Logging my foods on MFP helped a lot. If you eat in a deficit that should help with the weight loss until you can start exercising again. If you can walk without a limp, even if is a slow walk, this is good for activity. Ask your doc or physical therapist what you can do for aerobic activity, if you wanted to get some moving done. They probably have some ideas and I'm guessing you would probably have to wear a knee brace.