Plant based.

Options
Plant based eating? Ha! Not for me , I love meat, butter, eggs..... I probably averaged at least a pound of animal foods a day
My husbands employer offered a live now program. Weekly meetings and weekly personal coaching. They do some blood testing before and after. You meet with their work place clinic doctor.
My one on one meeting with my health coach, who is an r.n. that used to work in cardiology, was eye opening. My stats and blood tests put me in high risk categories. I committed to no more than four. 3 Oz portions of animal products a week.
I left the office with a binder full of information on plant based eating, and several cookbooks that I borrowed from their lending library.
With a husband who said no way for him, I jumped in feet first.
I've found that I love tofu and that soy milk lattes have a pleasant nutty flavor.
I have been cooking a pound of dry beans in my electric pressure cooker and using them up with meals and snacks. When they are gone I cook another type. Less than an hour from dry in the pressure cooker.
Baby spinach has become my friend. Quinoa, farrow are staples.
As a disabled woman (kidney cancer surgery, hernia complications, 5 surgeries in 2 years) that can't do much in the way of exercise, I managed to lose 17 pounds so far in 7 weeks! I'm hooke

Replies

• PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 3,075 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You're off to a good start. :)
  • LZMiner
    LZMiner Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Weight loss really does begin in the kitchen. I'm a healthy eater and it definitely makes a huge difference. I still eat meat, but so many more vegetables. Enjoy your journey!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I started eating more plant based foods just because I wanted more volume. My daughter and i usually go vegan one at least on week a year just to break away from too much animal based eating.
    Congratulations on your great transformation
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Like many terms I've heard on here 'plant based' has many meanings. Do you mean vegan, raw vegan (I'm guess not since you eat tofu), vegetarian, or a diet based on plants that also includes non-plant foods?

Edit: Whichever it is I'm glad you are liking it. I was just curious how you are using the term.
  • monimoore
    monimoore Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Good for you! This is so inspiring!
  • Iamnotasenior
    Iamnotasenior Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Whether or not you go completely plant-based in your diet, incorporating more vegetables and plant-based proteins into your diet and reducing your meat and animal product consumption is a great accomplishment and will most likely prove rewarding at your next blood test. Any changes in the direction of better health are something to be very proud of. I gave up meat 20 years ago, did six months as a vegan, but then decided that I couldn't give up eggs, butter, cheese or milk. Then, when I felt some serious cravings for more protein, I incorporated fatty fish and seafood back into my diet about once or twice a week. So, I guess I'm a "pescatarian" now, but I feel good and am happy with my food choices. Don't get hung up on labels...find what you like and keep trying new things.
  • dipuss
    dipuss Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Vegan for the animals here. Overweight because there is just so much amazing food that it's so easy to eat unhealthy. Anyway I just need to lose some weight but my cholesterol, blood pressure and sugar are all perfect so a lot to be said for leaving animals and animal products off your plate definitely a healthier diet even if you carry a little extra weight. That said I'm determined to lose these extra pounds.

I've got to say this app is absolutely amazing, the ability to just upload recipes and find out the calorie content is awesome.