Will chewing food less slow its energy release?

Options
124»

Replies

• TerryMyfitbitsnbobs
    TerryMyfitbitsnbobs Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Some say chewing each mouthful a hundred times helps you eat less. Maybe because the second mouthful will be cold and the last stale. I have a theory that chewing less will slow the bodies ability to break into the calories and so slow down the rate that the energy is released into the blood stream. A bit like fruit is ok if you are diabetic, but fruit juice is a huge no no.
    Am I right, or wrong?

Basically correct. Lots of studies have measured the gastric emptying rate of various meals (mostly for the pharmaceutical industry) and chunkier solids do stay in the stomach much longer than liquids. On the other hand, big meals start leaving the stomach sooner than small meals, so your mileage/kilometerage may vary. :+1:

At last, some sense! Thank you sir for understanding the post and giving some interesting feedback.
  • TerryMyfitbitsnbobs
    Options
    I was a fast eater all my life. As a part of trying to revolutionize my eating habits I deliberately slower down my eating and it does make a difference in feeling satiated well before I'm about to explode. Used to be I'd wait for my stomach to feel physically full now it's more of being satisfied and not feeling hungry anymore. Like anything else, if you repeat your new habit over and over it becomes the new norm and you don't have to think about it any more.

I do believe it can make a difference in how your body processes food as well. Without getting too graphic, it's not hard to see the difference when it comes out the other end between food thoroughly masticated and food not fully chewed B)

Another sensible and interesting insight. Thank you sir.
  • TerryMyfitbitsnbobs
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Honestly, if you're old enough to read and still don't know to chew your food, bless your heart.

On the subject of reading, did you actually bother to read the original post? Did I mention not chewing the food at all? I am talking about the amount that you break the food down before swallowing it. Subsequent posts have been about emphasising that point. I hate to be rude like this, but your comment was a bit patronising considering you didn't understand the post to start with.