Greeks on a diet

Options
I just posted a reply re calorie bombs and got me thinking. Are there any Greeks using mfp that would like to share what they learnt.
Are there any foods that anyone has found typical to our culture that are realy calorie explosive or really good as a low cal dinner? Makarounia dou fourno (basticho) is no longer my friend! Lol
I just learnt tahini is loaded with calories as I sat down to eat koulouri bread and tahini! Oops

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,652 Member
    Options
    Any of the traditional sweets. Yikes.

Most items that use olive or other oils in quantity unless modified to use less or none.

However, I was surprised as to how (relatively) few calories deep fried calamari ends up being, and how many, by comparison, any of the dips with pita or bread.

End of the day, most dishes can be modified (most, not all, baklava, I'm looking at you!) to be downright calorie friendly!

From ladera with less oil, to gemista with changes to the gemisi. Hmmm...getting the urge to make soutzoukakia :-)
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Most Greek dishes can be stripped of their sugar and carbs and adapted to the paleo construct very easily. See this website: http://www.theprimaldesire.com/tag/paleo-greek-weeks-recipes/ You can still eat cheese, olives, fish, eggs, veggies, etc. and most importantly, use coconut and olive oil. Also, if you try to stick to 1400 calories a day, you can have a moderate cheat day wiith your favorite food. (Aim for 15% carbs; 40% fats; 45% protein; no more than 20 grams sugar and at least 25 grams fiber). Pastitsio can be made less caloric / lower carb by not adding sugar and adding more veggies / meat to the meat sauce; reduce the pasta by half (and look at using low carb pasta); and in addition to making changes to the sauce (make a skim milk, egg custard / tapioca based sauce), reduce by half. Baklava can be made as is just make smaller batches and use less honey (I use just enough rose water and honey to coat the nuts before I add them in, butter the layers, and then use the rest of the honey / rose water over the top). Remember also that traditional Mediterranean foods were based on meat and vegetables primarily and that the two dishes I mentioned were eaten family style and shared by a lot of people.
  • 24clouds
    24clouds Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »

Most items that use olive or other oils in quantity unless modified to use less or none.

However, I was surprised as to how (relatively) few calories deep fried calamari ends up being, and how many, by comparison, any of the dips with pita or bread.

End of the day, most dishes can be modified (most, not all, baklava, I'm looking at you!) to be downright calorie friendly!

From ladera with less oil, to gemista with changes to the gemisi. Hmmm...getting the urge to make soutzoukakia :-)

Ive had to google soutzoukaki. My family are Cypriot and I'm in uk. See the problem with them for me would be I would fry them into koftedes lol! Dips and pitta and koulouri! Urrrrgh! I had no idea until few days ago!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    24clouds wrote: »
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Ive had to google soutzoukaki. My family are Cypriot and I'm in uk. See the problem with them for me would be I would fry them into koftedes lol! Dips and pitta and koulouri! Urrrrgh! I had no idea until few days ago!

Step one... anti-stick sprays such as Pam or nothing but a very good non stick frying pan are your new friends! (Well, this applies to me since I limit gratuitous fats)

Interesting suggestions from @Sunna_W about her Paleo take on Greek food.

I come from a more agnostic position where I eat anything and everything.

However I do try and "transform" almost everything into lower calorie-higher volume versions... cause... well then I can have my cake and eat it too so to speak :smile:
  • Aniston_T
    Aniston_T Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Spanakorizo is low calorie (if more spinach than rice is used and very little oil to sauté onions), I bake the kolokithokeftedes... one stuffed pepper or tomato comes out to be 340 calories if you limit the oil add more onions and less rice, and a bit of mince. Lentil soup isn't bad on calories, baked keftedes/meatballs are better than fried, (no oil added). No need to add oil to tzatsiki. Moussaka can come out with much fewer calories too if you bake everything before putting it together (boil potato, brush sliced aurbegine/zucchini with olive oil and bake before layering it), also use low fat milk for besamel, I add a bit of cheese though. Generally it's the oil that increases the calories in Greek food significantly, so reducing that is the way to go. I prefer foods that way now and I don't think it takes away from flavor.
  • 24clouds
    Options
    Genius! I'm making spanahorizo tonight! I forgot about that one! Thanks. X
  • 24clouds
    Options
    Spanahorizo on the hob. I had two big bags of spinach in fridge. Thanks for the inspiration x
  • Aniston_T
    Options
    I also make cabbage rice don't know if it's Greek or not. But I use shredded cabbage, grated carrot and a little bit of rice (some people sauté onions too). Shredded cabbage gets this caremelised flavour when you sauté it. It's very low in calories if you use a bit of oil. I top it with feta cheese.
  • 24clouds
    Options
    Sounds yummy. I now got the problem of working out calories in the rice. I weighed out 160g cooked rice and cannot find anything on system so I'm going with 200calories
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy. I now got the problem of working out calories in the rice. I weighed out 160g cooked rice and cannot find anything on system so I'm going with 200calories

If you search for something like "usda white rice cooked" you should get several more or less appropriate entries (and your 200 cals doesn't sound so far off).

More on topic: you guys are making me want to buy a cookbook for Greek food and try my way through it :tongue:
  • Aniston_T
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I always weigh it uncooked, it's usually 45g per portion for around 150-170 calories.

Do you scan the packages of food? Rice always has a bar code with calories and nutritional information of an uncooked portion. If something is not in the database you can add it too.
  • 24clouds
    Options
    Tomorrow I'm going to make yigandes. For my non Greeks its butterbeans onion celery carrot tomatoes slow cooked into a stew. Just as a side note- I might be Greek but I do cook other stuff. I loooooooove cooking. I cook a lot of dishes from around the world but I text to find them less of a week day staple family meal in my house if that makes any sense lol
    As always thanks to those that take the time to chat food x
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Only half Greek here (in USA), but LOVE this thread :-) I think I need to buy more feta tonight!! Yes, I love food, too much, lol!
  • 24clouds
    Options
    Get some grilled halloumi on lol
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Try 20051 (or 20045). About 130 Cal per 100g. More accurate to count the uncooked weight as cooked can have varying amounts of water.
  • Aniston_T
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Get some grilled halloumi on lol

Halloumi is more Cypriot Greek cheese, Greeks from the mainland like their feta :smile: But all cheese has lots of calories so I weigh all
  • 24clouds
    Options
    Oh man how many calories in a flaouna lol
    Happy easter to my Greeks x