Does anyone drink Kefir?

Options
I bought some for extra gut strength and probiotics, but it has a ton of sugar. Anyone have a lower sugar option?

Replies

• amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I love peach kefir
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It's a great source of probiotics and protein. Also, do you have a concern for sugar? Most of it is naturally occurring sugars, but the flavored ones might have a bit of added sugar.
  • tabletop_joe
    tabletop_joe Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    It rules. I switch to it when I'm tired of yogurt.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    acmorris77 wrote: »
    I bought some for extra gut strength and probiotics, but it has a ton of sugar. Anyone have a lower sugar option?

What do you mean "extra gut strength"? And, what do you feel you need probiotics for? (ie, what problem does it solve)
  • tabletop_joe
    Options
    ^^^It helps replenish your natural gut flora so you stay regular.
  • coreyreichle
    edited March 2017
    Options

Your gut colony does that, all on it's own, though, unless your diet is absolute crap, and devoid of fiber. Or, if you just got over a bout of something like gastroenteritis...
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    I get Nourish kefir, which has no added sugar.

I love the stuff, it's like yoghurt but more tangy. Great for breakfast on some fruit, or with a little cereal instead of milk.
  • olgacara100
    olgacara100 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have a fungus with which I do myself Kefir. It's delicious!
  • acmorris77
    acmorris77 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    @coreyreichle I've had issues with IBS in the past, and it's been bothering me again. I was told that Kefir helps to regulate the good bacteria. I eat a ton of fruits and vegetables and my diet is pretty healthy overall. Just looking for added support. I did buy the blueberry commercial brand, that's probably why it has so much sugar.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I tried it but it gave me the runs. Which is sad, because I really liked the tangy yogurty flavour.
  • coreyreichle
    Options
    @coreyreichle I've had issues with IBS in the past, and it's been bothering me again. I was told that Kefir helps to regulate the good bacteria. I eat a ton of fruits and vegetables and my diet is pretty healthy overall. Just looking for added support. I did buy the blueberry commercial brand, that's probably why it has so much sugar.

You'll probably have the best luck making your own, in this case, or taking an actual supplement.
  • holliebaker90
    holliebaker90 Posts: 36 Member
    Options

What do you mean "extra gut strength"? And, what do you feel you need probiotics for? (ie, what problem does it solve)

<<<<< Some of us don't have very well behaving gut bacteria, or it has been damaged in the past, so we need that extra boost. You, sir must have a very lucky gut to not experience what comes along with a messed up tummy.

If you are concerned with the extra stuff in Kefir, try Kombucha and greek yogurt. Kumbucha has tons of good bacteria in it. I consume both on a regular basis to keep my stomach in check!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I got grains from http://www.culturesforhealth.com/ last year and make a quart of whole milk kefir as often as it takes me to drink it. I have 4.0 oz with 50 grams of protein powder, some ice and water all blended together in a protein shake several days each week. It tastes really good with the Body Fortress Chocolate. I also will use kefir with cocoa-flavored breakfast cereals. Don't try it with Rice Krispies.

I started doing this because my lactose-intolerant daughter asked me to. It was for her, but now I'm the one using it almost all the time. Just this morning I put a quart of milk with kefir grains out to ferment. In the morning I'll carefully extract the grains from it and set the kefir out for another day of secondary fermenting.

Here's a link that includes nutritional values for several differently sourced varieties of kefir.

https://www.culturedfoodlife.com/how-many-calories-in-kefir/

• vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I love the Icelandic version by Siggis, filmjolk. It's tart and not too sweet. I like to pour it over berries or cherries or a sliced banana, and add a couple spoonfuls of granola for crunch.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I just take regular refrigerated probiotic capsules, 0 calories or sugar.
  • tabletop_joe
    Options

Your gut colony does that, all on it's own, though, unless your diet is absolute crap, and devoid of fiber. Or, if you just got over a bout of something like gastroenteritis...

Does it? Can I send you a sample so you can run some test to confirm? :P

My diet is good, kefir helps and is a good source of calcium to boot. No to low lactose in the brand I get as well. Supplements aren't monitored by the FDA, so I'll stick with what works for me, thank you.
  • acmorris77
    acmorris77 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm going to try ALL of your suggestions. I'll try anything I can at this point. Constantly needing to know where there's a bathroom is no way to live!
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    There are an number of different cultured milk products with different strains of lactobacilli, as well as the different pills you can take with different cultures. Mix it up! Just buy them unsweetened.